August 30, 201610 yr Actually, he is doing EXACTLY what Americans have fought for. Correct. Americans didn't fight for CK to be able to play football for millions of dollars. They fought for his right freedom of speech.
August 30, 201610 yr No one is suggesting he doesnt have the right to be heard . No One . He just didnt have to disrespect the whole nation to get his point across . The narrative that those that oppose his actions don't support his right to protest is a false narrative. I suggested he write something on a cleat , ignore the NFL policies of dress code by writing on his helmet , hold a sign up , he could call a news conference , he could have done a 100 different things than saying " I have no pride in our flag , I will not honor a country that oppresses black people" when " that country is the freest , least racist country in the entire world. Not perfect , but continually better generation after generation.
August 30, 201610 yr No one is suggesting he doesnt have the right to be heard . No One . He just didnt have to disrespect the whole nation to get his point across . The narrative that those that oppose his actions don't support his right to protest is a false narrative. I suggested he write something on a cleat , ignore the NFL policies of dress code by writing on his helmet , hold a sign up , he could call a news conference , he could have done a 100 different things than saying " I have no pride in our flag , I will not honor a country that oppresses black people" when " that country is the freest , least racist country in the entire world. Not perfect , but continually better generation after generation. I somewhat agree. But when you read some of the comments people have made (not necessarily here on BGP) of people wishing him harm, injury and calling him nasty names, one would question if they really do support his right of expression. Once again, in the grand scheme of things, this was a pretty peaceful protest. And if you go to any sporting event across the nation, you'll see dozens of folks doing anything but paying respect to the flag during the National Anthem. Where is the outpouring of disgust for those daily actions??
August 30, 201610 yr Does anyone else find it comical that while allegedly taking a stand against oppression, Kap rocked a Fidel Castro shirt? Messaging matters. That one didn't work so well.
August 30, 201610 yr Regarding him being an invalid messenger because he's wealthy: Does the country listen to poor people?
August 30, 201610 yr Voicing your opinion is American. Disrespecting America is not American. Ironically it's kind of what America is all about. He has the ability to do that if he chooses.
August 30, 201610 yr Common sense says being able to stand up for what you believe in, even when it's unpopular, is what America and our freedom is all about. True but such freedom does not protect you from the repercussions of what you say. When the Dixie Chicks were being boycotted, their right to free speech was not being hindered in the least, they still had the right and the ability to keep protesting the war in foreign countries but by their choice, they stopped so as to prevent further record sales drops. CK being protested and ridiculed still has the right to keep sitting for the national anthem. I can't stand them, but I will always support the right of the idiots who protest that God Hates Homosexuals at funerals. I will also support the rights of those screaming back and ridiculing those morons. I don't think it was infringement of speech when people boycotted Chik Fila when their CEO spoke in favor of traditional marriage. The boycott and protests was just part of the repercussions.
August 30, 201610 yr True but such freedom does not protect you from the repercussions of what you say. When the Dixie Chicks were being boycotted, their right to free speech was not being hindered in the least, they still had the right and the ability to keep protesting the war in foreign countries but by their choice, they stopped so as to prevent further record sales drops. CK being protested and ridiculed still has the right to keep sitting for the national anthem. I can't stand them, but I will always support the right of the idiots who protest that God Hates Homosexuals at funerals. I will also support the rights of those screaming back and ridiculing those morons. I don't think it was infringement of speech when people boycotted Chik Fila when their CEO spoke in favor of traditional marriage. The boycott and protests was just part of the repercussions. The Chick-Fil-A boycott must be the worst boycott ever, at least in Owensboro you can't even find a space to park in their lot (unless it's Sunday) and the drive-thur backs up into the street. Sure wish they'd make some more people mad enough to boycott them.
August 30, 201610 yr The Chick-Fil-A boycott must be the worst boycott ever, at least in Owensboro you can't even find a space to park in their lot (unless it's Sunday) and the drive-thur backs up into the street. Sure wish they'd make some more people mad enough to boycott them. It's gotta be a pretty bad deed to get Americans to boycott food for any length of time.
August 30, 201610 yr The Chick-Fil-A boycott must be the worst boycott ever, at least in Owensboro you can't even find a space to park in their lot (unless it's Sunday) and the drive-thur backs up into the street. Sure wish they'd make some more people mad enough to boycott them. No doubt.
August 30, 201610 yr Regarding him being an invalid messenger because he's wealthy: Does the country listen to poor people? Nope. We tell them to quit taking handouts and to get a job.
August 30, 201610 yr It's gotta be a pretty bad deed to get Americans to boycott food for any length of time. That's hilarious. And true. :lol2: I was like, "shame on you, Chik Fil A." "Can I get the Chicken sandwich meal with large waffle fries and a large lemonade?" "Thank you so much"
August 30, 201610 yr Why don't we get worked up when people say they won't or do not vote?? Isn't that one of the rights that people fought and died for?? Or how about when people ignore the flag code and display the flag where it shouldn't be (like on non military or sports uniforms). Or when we wear US flag shirts. Or use it in advertising? Lots of things are done daily that are considered "disrespectful" to the flag according to code. American Flag Etiquette | USA Flag Site I watch people talk to each other, eat, play with their phone etc during The National Anthem at high school, pro and college sporting events. I think those things are just as if not more disrespectful than not standing. But nobody says a word or gets upset. But lets pile on Kaep and keep wishing him ill will and career ending injuries for talking about a problem. I'm not a fan of how he's doing it, but it is his right to do so. I'll be honest, whenever that god awful Whitney Houston version is played, I walk far enough away so I don't have to endure it.
August 30, 201610 yr Ironically it's kind of what America is all about. He has the ability to do that if he chooses. That's what so many don't seem to get.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.