August 31, 201610 yr You are correct. Your freedom to criticize was fought for as well.:idunno: My point being the reference that to those saying Kap has a right to do it is irrelevant. I don't know anyone in any of these Kap threads who said he didn't have a right to say it. Just because it's a right dosen't make it right. I have a right to say hateful things , doesn't meam I won't receive criticism for those things said. Where the disconnect comes into play is that I feel some people get offended when people purposely disrespect a symbol of our nation and some people don't. I feel what he is doing is disrespectful to every American and an America that has given him many more privileges than he would receive any where else in the world. Others find the disrespect justified. I can agree with a right to do something but not the message.
August 31, 201610 yr The bolded is pure speculation on your part. All their opinions matter. I can only base it off my time line on social media it's overwhelming with my veteran friends and their groups of friends . But unless a poll is done your right we can't say one way or the other. My point being is some has tag on Twitter is no more relevant than the veterans speaking out on social media.
August 31, 201610 yr You have no way of knowing if it's the majority that disagree, just like we don't. The point is many are harping on CK because it's disrespectful to veterans, and now there are veterans backing CK for the exact reasons he outlined in his initial comments. Kinda throws a wrench into that idea. Every veterans opinions matter, including the ones that agree with CK. Everyone's opinion matters , I just don't have to disagree with it. For every veteran on this hash tag I could point you to someone like my buddy who did two tours in Iraq who posted a thoughtful disagreement with Kaps stance or my cousin who served in both Iraq and Afghanistan who feels disrespecting the flag to make a message is unnecessary. I stand by my opinion and you don't have to agree. The flag symbolizes 1. Freedom and 2. Those who fought for us. It does not symbolize corporations , police force or any other system people may feel have some racial bias. I find it ironic to protest the very symbol that is a beacon of freedom across the globe as a means to speak out on injustice.
August 31, 201610 yr Where the disconnect comes into play is that I feel some people get offended when people purposely disrespect a symbol of our nation and some people don't. I feel what he is doing is disrespectful to every American and an America that has given him many more privileges than he would receive any where else in the world. Others find the disrespect justified. I can agree with a right to do something but not the message. There's your broad brush. I don't think he is disrespecting a national symbol. I think he is participating in a peaceful protest. I commend him for taking a stand and wish more people would talk about his reasons. We view his manner of protest different. It's fine. My hope is he raises awareness and people discuss the issues. However, I don't have my hopes up as it's much easier to talk about the national anthem than the division between whites and 'black people and people of color' in this country. P.S. If he were stomping on the flag or something of that ilk I'd be right there with you...
August 31, 201610 yr I stand by my opinion and you don't have to agree. The flag symbolizes 1. Freedom and 2. Those who fought for us. It does not symbolize corporations , police force or any other system people may feel have some racial bias. I find it ironic to protest the very symbol that is a beacon of freedom across the globe as a means to speak out on injustice. I agree 100% on your meaning of what the flag represents. That said, it represents CK's freedom to voice his displeasure with the state of our country. Since I know we'll never agree on this, how would you suggest CK go about this, so that it got the same attention that this issue has? How could he voice his opinion and make "positive change" that would create this much conversation and have an impact?
August 31, 201610 yr I commend him for taking a stand and wish more people would talk about his reasons BINGO. This is the real issue here. Instead of focusing on WHY he feels he needs to protest (because that would mean uncomfortable conversations and people admitting things they don't want to), they focus on HOW he chose to protest. Textbook deflection of the real issues.
August 31, 201610 yr I agree 100% on your meaning of what the flag represents. That said, it represents CK's freedom to voice his displeasure with the state of our country. Since I know we'll never agree on this, how would you suggest CK go about this, so that it got the same attention that this issue has? How could he voice his opinion and make "positive change" that would create this much conversation and have an impact? I would argue what Carmelo Anthony has been doing to be a much more positive way to influence people. I may not agree with everything he says but he's opened up dialogue with many groups of people without disrespecting anyone. People will never agree on everything but opening up dialogue if that is truly his intent , then I don't see how anyone can find his actions positive. This was obviously going to divide people . So how do you open up dialogue on an issue by dividing people ? Again you are right we won't agree. But I find his actions to not be well thought out nor will they have any real impact. The people who like to be divisive will make him a lighting rod and those who don't feel there is a need to disrespect our flag will tune him out.
August 31, 201610 yr BINGO. This is the real issue here. Instead of focusing on WHY he feels he needs to protest (because that would mean uncomfortable conversations and people admitting things they don't want to), they focus on HOW he chose to protest. Textbook deflection of the real issues. Maybe it has something to do with his actions. I'm sorry don't disrespect the flag and then say why is everyone ignoring my message. It's just silly. I'll say it again the thing that frustrates me and i've said it on here multiple times. I'm obviously open to discuss any and all topics. I'm a reasonable person. But what is his message? Does he want to discuss something ? What would he like to discuss ? Does discussing mean I have to agree with every point ? If you want to discuss something with me why did you have to disrespect me first? What solutions do you want to happen , or what specifically do you want changed. It's easy to protest , the questions above are never answered.
August 31, 201610 yr I would argue what Carmelo Anthony has been doing to be a much more positive way to influence people. I may not agree with everything he says but he's opened up dialogue with many groups of people without disrespecting anyone. People will never agree on everything but opening up dialogue if that is truly his intent , then I don't see how anyone can find his actions positive. This was obviously going to divide people . So how do you open up dialogue on an issue by dividing people ? Again you are right we won't agree. But I find his actions to not be well thought out nor will they have any real impact. The people who like to be divisive will make him a lighting rod and those who don't feel there is a need to disrespect our flag will tune him out. You didn't answer my question. What could CK do that would garner the same amount of attention, yet change how you view his approach/opinions?
August 31, 201610 yr You didn't answer my question. What could CK do that would garner the same amount of attention, yet change how you view his approach/opinions? I thought I said I would model it to approach similar to Carmelo Anthony. What else are you asking ?
August 31, 201610 yr CK's quote about Hillary was spot on... Perfect example of what he is protesting..
August 31, 201610 yr I thought I said I would model it to approach similar to Carmelo Anthony. What else are you asking ? That's part of the problem. I didn't know Melo was doing anything at all apart from missing shots at the Garden. What's the nature of his protest?
August 31, 201610 yr BINGO. This is the real issue here. Instead of focusing on WHY he feels he needs to protest (because that would mean uncomfortable conversations and people admitting things they don't want to), they focus on HOW he chose to protest. Textbook deflection of the real issues. Again, with how he protested, my biggest gripe was with the Castro shirt. Not standing, whatever. Welcome to the club, that is nothing new. Glorifying a human that helped write the book on how to oppress people, I can't help but somewhat get lost in what he is conveying. And why he is doing it is for a noble cause. But he took it too far when he reaches with the insinuation that cops are hunting down and getting away with literal murder. That is divisive. Differing opinions to open dialogue is substantive. I thought he did a poor job in that respect, and missed the opportunity to be more specific and honing in on larger issues.
August 31, 201610 yr That's part of the problem. I didn't know Melo was doing anything at all apart from missing shots at the Garden. What's the nature of his protest? He's been the most vocal NBA player. I don't even understand the need for a protest . I thought we wanted open dialogue. I don't know if what Melo is doing is considered a protest. But he has been vocal and organized meetings. He's been all over the news the last few months. When you protest the flag , who are you protesting. Who are you trying to open up dialogue with? Who do you want to answer this protest. What solutions are satisfactory for you?
August 31, 201610 yr I thought I said I would model it to approach similar to Carmelo Anthony. What else are you asking ? Like Getslow, I'm not aware of anything Melo has been doing. Do you have specific examples of what CK could do that would generate conversation to this level, yet would appease those who disagree with him?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.