August 30, 201610 yr That's what so many don't seem to get. I get it, I just think it's the wrong forum for him.
August 30, 201610 yr For those of you who try to disparage CK's stance due to his wealth and his lifestyle I ask the following. If you were living a perfectly blessed life but your (insert close loved family member here) was wronged in a serious fashion and was not having any success in getting it rectified would you simply say "Good luck. Call me if it ever works out for you." OR would you try to help them by using whatever skills/advantages you had?
August 30, 201610 yr Quick question. What is it called when white people are mistreated? I only ask in reference to Bohani Jones' statement about black and brown people.
August 30, 201610 yr For those of you who try to disparage CK's stance due to his wealth and his lifestyle I ask the following. If you were living a perfectly blessed life but your (insert close loved family member here) was wronged in a serious fashion and was not having any success in getting it rectified would you simply say "Good luck. Call me if it ever works out for you." OR would you try to help them by using whatever skills/advantages you had? How did Kap do this? What is going to change because he won't stand for the National Anthem? Why don't the 490 or 2429 YTD in one city alone garner any ire from CK? Where's the protest or "stand" for them?
August 30, 201610 yr Voicing your opinion is American. Disrespecting America is not American. At what point does disagreeing with the majority push you over into the "not American" category?
August 30, 201610 yr I thought sitting down during a National Anthem was universally acknowledged as disrespectful. Common sense. People wear their hats, talk, eat, text, take photos, all kinds of things during the anthem, all while standing a lot of the time. Pretty sure remaining seated is no more disrespectful than this activities. At least he has a reason. The others just can't be bothered to pay attention for 3 minutes, or have deemed the moments unimportant. The difference is someone in the media asked him why. No one asks Joe Q Fan.
August 30, 201610 yr What is going to change because he won't stand for the National Anthem? Not a single thing will change, which is a shame. The cause is legitimate, but he's not doing anything to help it.
August 30, 201610 yr Not a single thing will change, which is a shame. The cause is legitimate, but he's not doing anything to help it. Exactly! He's exacerbating the issue by choosing the forum he did.
August 30, 201610 yr If CK gets cut and doesn't get signed. I hope he gives speeches and visits police departments and academies all across the country to spread his concerns and maybe take the lead in new training among departments across the country. That is something I can stand behind. Simply doing nothing to advance your cause is what would be a complete waste. He now has the soap box he so wanted, now let's see him practice what he preaches and actually try and make change.
August 30, 201610 yr My papaw fought in WW2, family in Korea and Vietnam and Gulf War. So yes Im offended. The black friends I have are not oppressed nor feel oppressed and feel same as I do about this guy. They dont feel there is a war on black people, only feel the media over does it on coverage and blow it out of proportion. If there was a war on black people then we would be seeing a lot more deaths on both sides. And for the record any one who dont stand for the flag is a piece of crap and I have no respect for them. I mean we get a black POTUS and all of a sudden blacks are oppressed. This has to be the worse racial problems I can ever remember. One of my colleagues is an ultra-conservative and a devout Christian. He refuses to stand for or pledge allegiance to the flag. He says it's a religious stance. Claims his allegiance is to God, not the flag of this country. I don't have a problem with him and I don't have an issue with CK. People get bent out of shape for the stupidest reasons.
August 30, 201610 yr True but such freedom does not protect you from the repercussions of what you say. When the Dixie Chicks were being boycotted, their right to free speech was not being hindered in the least, they still had the right and the ability to keep protesting the war in foreign countries but by their choice, they stopped so as to prevent further record sales drops. CK being protested and ridiculed still has the right to keep sitting for the national anthem. I can't stand them, but I will always support the right of the idiots who protest that God Hates Homosexuals at funerals. I will also support the rights of those screaming back and ridiculing those morons. I don't think it was infringement of speech when people boycotted Chik Fila when their CEO spoke in favor of traditional marriage. The boycott and protests was just part of the repercussions. They kinda didn't, though. They actually doubled down on it and made a whole album about it. Remember "Not Ready To Make Nice?" Tickets for their shows on the current tour are selling for more than $100.
August 30, 201610 yr You may be correct, back then I paid about as much attention to the Ditsy Twits as I do Kanye now. I thought the media made it sound like they were backing down.
August 30, 201610 yr Again, just because you don't agree with his methods doesn't mean it's disrespectful. Who are you to decide? Doesn't society decide what is and what isn't?
August 31, 201610 yr We can't beat our chests to "America, land of the free and home of the brave!" and then demonize people when they exercise their right to freedom by speaking out and being brave by saying things that will not be popular. You can believe someone has the right to say something but also criticize and think what there is doing is dumb. Freedom of speech doesn't protect you from criticism. This is my favorite part of this board according to the topic both sides don't really get the first ammendment. Has there been a national out cry for him to be arrested? Nope. Just like Kap has the right to speak everyone criticizing him does as well.
August 31, 201610 yr Actually, he is doing EXACTLY what Americans have fought for. Soldiers fight for your right to be free there is no doubt about it , they also fought for me to be able to critcize people who disrespect the country I'm proud of. He doesn't like this country fine, I have every right to call him on the simple minded approach. The most amusing part of this whole topic is those who think Kaepernick's stance is above reproach.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.