August 30, 201610 yr I guess common sense is becoming less and less common these days though. Common sense says CK has the right to do what he wants. Common sense says just because we don't like something, or how someone approaches a situation doesn't make it disrespectful or lessen the validity. Common sense says if we want to really be the country we say we are, we have to acknowledge the fact that some people are going to express their freedoms differently than us, and we have to accept their right to do so. But you're right, common sense seems to be pretty sparse lately.
August 30, 201610 yr We can't beat our chests to "America, land of the free and home of the brave!" and then demonize people when they exercise their right to freedom by speaking out and being brave by saying things that will not be popular. I don't have an issue with him "being brave?" and voicing his opinion. I have an issue with the fact that he decided that he was going to take a dump on the Americans that fought for his right to do so.
August 30, 201610 yr Common sense says CK has the right to do what he wants. Common sense says just because we don't like something, or how someone approaches a situation doesn't make it disrespectful or lessen the validity. Common sense says if we want to really be the country we say we are, we have to acknowledge the fact that some people are going to express their freedoms differently than us, and we have to accept their right to do so. But you're right, common sense seems to be pretty sparse lately. No one is saying he doesn't have the right to voice his opinion. Quit trying to push that narrative.
August 30, 201610 yr I guess common sense is becoming less and less common these days though. Common sense says being able to stand up for what you believe in, even when it's unpopular, is what America and our freedom is all about.
August 30, 201610 yr Common sense says being able to stand up for what you believe in, even when it's unpopular, is what America and our freedom is all about. No kidding!
August 30, 201610 yr It is also common sense that sitting down during a National Anthem is a sign of disrespect.
August 30, 201610 yr I have an issue with the fact that he decided that he was going to take a dump on the Americans that fought for his right to do so. So many people see the flag as a symbol of the military. How do you view it and what do you say to those people? CK: I have great respect for the men and women that have fought for this country. I have family, I have friends that have gone and fought for this country. And they fight for freedom, they fight for the people, they fight for liberty and justice, for everyone. That's not happening. People are dying in vain because this country isn't holding their end of the bargain up, as far as giving freedom and justice, liberty to everybody. That's something that's not happening. I've seen videos, I've seen circumstances where men and women that have been in the military have come back and been treated unjustly by the country they have fought for, and have been murdered by the country they fought for, on our land. That's not right. Transcript of Colin Kaepernick's comments about sitting during anthem - San Francisco 49ers Blog- ESPN How is that "taking a dump" on the people that fought for his freedoms?
August 30, 201610 yr It is also common sense that sitting down during a National Anthem is a sign of disrespect. Intent matters when determining if an action is disrespectful IMO. I think it was crystal clear from his comments that CK has nothing but respect for the men and women of the armed forces.
August 30, 201610 yr So many people see the flag as a symbol of the military. How do you view it and what do you say to those people? CK: I have great respect for the men and women that have fought for this country. I have family, I have friends that have gone and fought for this country. And they fight for freedom, they fight for the people, they fight for liberty and justice, for everyone. That's not happening. People are dying in vain because this country isn't holding their end of the bargain up, as far as giving freedom and justice, liberty to everybody. That's something that's not happening. I've seen videos, I've seen circumstances where men and women that have been in the military have come back and been treated unjustly by the country they have fought for, and have been murdered by the country they fought for, on our land. That's not right. Transcript of Colin Kaepernick's comments about sitting during anthem - San Francisco 49ers Blog- ESPN How is that "taking a dump" on the people that fought for his freedoms? Because he is only looking through a narrow lens. When he sees the flag, he doesn't associate that with the people that fought for our liberation from Britain. He doesn't associate it with the people the fought in WW1 and WW2. He doesn't associate it with the countless lives that were lost in East Asia. When he looks at that flag, he doesn't understand the hell that "flag" has been through in order to keep its integrity. He only sees what has occurred in the past 5 years, because that's all he wants to see. I would be interested in hearing what he believes our country's "end of the bargain" encompasses.
August 30, 201610 yr Because he is only looking through a narrow lens. When he sees the flag, he doesn't associate that with the people that fought for our liberation from Britain. He doesn't associate it with the people the fought in WW1 and WW2. He doesn't associate it with the countless lives that were lost in East Asia. When he looks at that flag, he doesn't understand the hell that "flag" has been through in order to keep its integrity. He only sees what has occurred in the past 5 years, because that's all he wants to see. I would be interested in hearing what he believes our country's "end of the bargain" encompasses. "And they fight for freedom, they fight for the people, they fight for liberty and justice, for everyone. " That seems pretty all-encompassing to me... In his comment that I posted, what did he say that was wrong?
August 30, 201610 yr Also, there's nothing American about being a whiny diva complaining about oppression sitting behind your multi-million dollar contract, while providing no actual change. At least consider the possibility that kap did this as a publicity stunt, using societal issues to his benefit. kap is no longer the QB he was. He is probably going to be cut. By making these statements, he does one of two things: 1) solidifies a spot on the roster. If he is cut, he will claim he was cut because of "racist Chip Kelly." Queue the national "outrage." 2) If he is cut, then, building on that national outrage, he will likely seek a spot on some sports panel, prolly NBC or ESPN or one of those other networks who are all PC, and whatnot. This was a strategic move. To the bold, him voicing his opinion and displeasure with what's going on in our country is 100% American. Just because people don't want to hear it doesn't change that. He is in a position to speak for people who can't speak for themselves, and he chose to take that opportunity. And secondly, no chance this solidifies a roster spot. If anything it will give them a reason to cut him. Gosh, I'll never be able to forget the poop-storm of outrage that never happened when Michael Sam's career quickly faded away.
August 30, 201610 yr My papaw fought in WW2, family in Korea and Vietnam and Gulf War. So yes Im offended. The black friends I have are not oppressed nor feel oppressed and feel same as I do about this guy. They dont feel there is a war on black people, only feel the media over does it on coverage and blow it out of proportion. If there was a war on black people then we would be seeing a lot more deaths on both sides. And for the record any one who dont stand for the flag is a piece of crap and I have no respect for them. I mean we get a black POTUS and all of a sudden blacks are oppressed. This has to be the worse racial problems I can ever remember.
August 30, 201610 yr In his comment that I posted, what did he say that was wrong? He didn't say anything wrong. I just don't believe he has any sort of competent understanding behind the symbolism of the American Flag.
August 30, 201610 yr He didn't say anything wrong. I just don't believe he has any sort of competent understanding behind the symbolism of the American Flag. Do you really believe that the flag has the exact same meaning to each and every person?
August 30, 201610 yr Also, there's nothing American about being a whiny diva complaining about oppression sitting behind your multi-million dollar contract, while providing no actual change. At least consider the possibility that kap did this as a publicity stunt, using societal issues to his benefit. kap is no longer the QB he was. He is probably going to be cut. By making these statements, he does one of two things: 1) solidifies a spot on the roster. If he is cut, he will claim he was cut because of "racist Chip Kelly." Queue the national "outrage." 2) If he is cut, then, building on that national outrage, he will likely seek a spot on some sports panel, prolly NBC or ESPN or one of those other networks who are all PC, and whatnot. This was a strategic move. What change should CK provide? Isn't that like saying college girls should provide change so they quit getting raped? Is it really the "victims" job to provide the change? Quit dismissing the message because you don't like the method. No, I don't agree with the method either but to be honest I can't think of a different way for him to have done it that would have garner this much attention.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.