Dan Straily - Reds Ace

Dan Straily has slowly become the ace of the Reds pitching staff. The right hander signed on April Fools day this spring is 10-6 with a 3.57 era. Since the all-star break he is 6-0 and has allowed 2 or less earned runs in every start since with wins against San Francisco, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Miami and Texas in those 6 wins. Straily was signed to a 1 year contract for the league minimum and isn't eligible for arbitration until 2018 and free agency until 2021.

The question is should the Reds make an attempt to sign Straily to a longer contract or just let him go? He will be 28 years old in December and has a career 4.28 era but seems to have figured things out. His walk rate is down and his war is 3.4 similiar to Jake Arrietas for 2016.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's been great and it's work out really well. But, Ace by default.

Ace nevertheless. Maybe just maybe at 27 he has learned how to pitch at this level. In 18 of his last 21 starts he has gone at least 6 innings. He has given up 20 HRs in 151 innings and over the last 37 innings he has walked 4 batters. In GABP it's hard to win if you walk a lot of batters. I know he's been good for the Reds and myabe he falls on his face down the road. For a team that was 25 games below .500 at one point I think he has solidified this staff and could legitimately be called the ace at this point and time.

It's early, so I'm not thinking too straight right now...but how can a guy be under contract until 2020, when he only signed a one-year deal in 2016?

Because when you're on your "rookie deal", each year is considered a one year thing. You're under team control until after your 6th season. So, for example, Jose Peraza is on a one year deal, but is under Reds team control until after the 2021 season. Same concept applies to Straily, except he's under team control until 2020.

Plan for him to be part of the rebuild since his contract and recent results are favorable. However, if someone offers you extreme value based on those recent results and contract status, you have to listen.

Similar to Duvall's 1st half, if there was a GM out there that wanted to overpay based on a small sample size, jump on it and stockpile talent. Otherwise, plan to have him and hopes he has figured it out.

Also, Jocketty gets crushed on here regularly (appropriately), but gotta give him credit for this signing. Sure, 9/10 or 99/100 of these signings are not going to pan out but they are low risk / high reward and truly valuable when they do for a mid-market club like the Reds.

Plan for him to be part of the rebuild since his contract and recent results are favorable. However, if someone offers you extreme value based on those recent results and contract status, you have to listen.

Similar to Duvall's 1st half, if there was a GM out there that wanted to overpay based on a small sample size, jump on it and stockpile talent. Otherwise, plan to have him and hopes he has figured it out.

Also, Jocketty gets crushed on here regularly (appropriately), but gotta give him credit for this signing. Sure, 9/10 or 99/100 of these signings are not going to pan out but they are low risk / high reward and truly valuable when they do for a mid-market club like the Reds.

I really like Straily, but think he'll best be utilized with the Reds as a bullpen chip. You throw him on the back-end with the likes of Lorenzen, Iglesias, Cingrani, and IMO Finnegan and you've got the makings of a pretty solid bullpen going forward.

I really like Straily, but think he'll best be utilized with the Reds as a bullpen chip. You throw him on the back-end with the likes of Lorenzen, Iglesias, Cingrani, and IMO Finnegan and you've got the makings of a pretty solid bullpen going forward.

We are never going to agree about Finnegan. He just threw 6 or 7 innings of no-hit baseball. I'm giving him a shot at the rotation.

We are never going to agree about Finnegan. He just threw 6 or 7 innings of no-hit baseball. I'm giving him a shot at the rotation.

Appears that way. And I don't think it's a bad decision to have him in the rotation, I just think he's best suited for the pen.

vs. lefties: 35 IP, .220 OBA, 1.30 WHIP, 1.35 ERA

vs. righties: 106.2 IP, .243 OBA, 1.39 WHIP, 5.23 ERA

He's under team control until 2020.

I was looking at Cots and was confused. If they signed him to a 1 year contract how can he be under their control for 2017? I see that he is signed for 2016, arb 1 for 2018, arb 2 for 2019 and arb 3 for 2020 but what about 2017?