Fleming County changes districts

mcpapa

This from today's Maysville paper (sorry, no link to this particular story):

After the KHSAA approved six class districts Monday, word came that the originally proposed Class 3A District 7 had already lost a member.

The district, originally made up of Mason, Fleming and Lewis Counties, Russell, and East and West Carter, is now a five-team district with Fleming County moving to District 6. The Panthers are now aligned with Breathitt, Estill and Powell Counties and Cawood.

According to the official KHSAA website under "information concerning KHSAA football realignment", then under "results of school responses announced", it is said that Fleming County's official reason is that they've requested to move districts is "primarily because they already schedule Breathitt, Estill and Powell".

The official school response does not mention that the team also already schedules Mason and Lewis Counties, Russell and East and West Carter.

What's up?:confused:

http://www.khsaa.org/football/realignment/schoolresponses.pdf

To be the man you have to beat the man .... Fleming had some good teams , we will miss you but somewhere along the line we will meet.

Only problem we ever had with Fleming is the coach seemed to think they were always better than they were or " they gave it to Russell" , especially his comments as we rode home after our game at Fleming in 2004 ... Russell beats Fleming with Line play .....

Good luck this year and upcoming year in you district with Estill , I like the engineers and the band , but won't miss the ride back home from Estill...

This from today's Maysville paper (sorry, no link to this particular story):

After the KHSAA approved six class districts Monday, word came that the originally proposed Class 3A District 7 had already lost a member.

The district, originally made up of Mason, Fleming and Lewis Counties, Russell, and East and West Carter, is now a five-team district with Fleming County moving to District 6. The Panthers are now aligned with Breathitt, Estill and Powell Counties and Cawood.

According to the official KHSAA website under "information concerning KHSAA football realignment", then under "results of school responses announced", it is said that Fleming County's official reason is that they've requested to move districts is "primarily because they already schedule Breathitt, Estill and Powell".

The official school response does not mention that the team also already schedules Mason and Lewis Counties, Russell and East and West Carter.

What's up?:confused:

http://www.khsaa.org/football/realignment/schoolresponses.pdf

LONG BUS RIDE to Cawood!

Nothing surprises me anymore with what goes on in that county. Maybe the truth is that Fleming wanted to get away from Mason and Russell. I have to agree with colonelfan2001, Fleming will have a home playoff game about every year

Im' bettting this is the case... but if you can change districts and get a better shot at a home playoff game, can you blame them.

I kind of thought that Fleming really didn't want any part of Russell in the district. Why else would a school trade a travel schedule that looks like this:

Russell, 146 miles round-trip

Mason County, 34 miles round trip

West Carter, 96 miles round trip

East Carter, 120 miles round trip

Lewis County, 62 miles round trip

for this one:

Breathitt County, 188 miles round trip

Estill County, 120 miles round trip

Powell County, 102 miles round trip

Cawood, 334 miles round trip

I know, it's home-and-home, but one of the arguments against re-alignment was that it created districts that involved extra travel, and with the price of gas being what it is, this could create financial hardships. Here we have a school that's gone out of their way (literally) to align with a district that involves more travel.

I've known lots of folks from Flemingsburg for a long time; and while I don't get the sense that they're running from Mason County (although they may want to in basketball); I do think that they want no part of playoff games on Red Devil Lane.

I kind of thought that Fleming really didn't want any part of Russell in the district. Why else would a school trade a travel schedule that looks like this:

Russell, 146 miles round-trip

Mason County, 34 miles round trip

West Carter, 96 miles round trip

East Carter, 120 miles round trip

Lewis County, 62 miles round trip

for this one:

Breathitt County, 188 miles round trip

Estill County, 120 miles round trip

Powell County, 102 miles round trip

Cawood, 334 miles round trip

I know, it's home-and-home, but one of the arguments against re-alignment was that it created districts that involved extra travel, and with the price of gas being what it is, this could create financial hardships. Here we have a school that's gone out of their way (literally) to align with a district that involves more travel.

I've known lots of folks from Flemingsburg for a long time; and while I don't get the sense that they're running from Mason County (although they may want to in basketball); I do think that they want no part of playoff games on Red Devil Lane.

Russell has always been atop that perch to be the best you have to go through the best.I know as a Mason fan im really looking forward to playing Russell again.

Russell has always been atop that perch to be the best you have to go through the best.I know as a Mason fan im really looking forward to playing Russell again.

I think we're both members of the "to be the man you gotta beat the man" club. I also look forward to having Russell on the schedule every year; it always seemed like the Royals would come up a little short against the Devils but the games were exciting.

Anyone else have any thoughts on Fleming's decision to align with the mountains?

I think we're both members of the "to be the man you gotta beat the man" club. I also look forward to having Russell on the schedule every year; it always seemed like the Royals would come up a little short against the Devils but the games were exciting.

Anyone else have any thoughts on Fleming's decision to align with the mountains?

I don't really agree with Fleming Co's decission. It will be shame to lose them from the schedule. On the other hand I am glad to see Mason Co back in the district.

As a Russell Fan im looking forward to seeing Mason County again next year. We have had some battles with Mason.:thumb: They are always a top notch team that plays hard and makes for a challenge.