Metallica/Metallica (The Black Album) 25 years old today.

I remember buying this CD at midnight 25 years ago. I also remember one week before it's release MTV played the premiere video of Enter Sandman. I didn't like the video and I didn't like the song. I did enjoy the rest of the album and I still do. This is the album that most old school Metallica fans hated and still do. I have also had a love hate relationship with this album. After 25 years I can honestly say this is a great Metallica album and one of the best produced rock/metal records I have ever listened to. For me personally the only thing that would have made this record any better is if they would have never added Enter Sandman to the mix,but then it would have only sold 8 million copies instead of 16 million! This was the third CD that I ever owned. If someone would have told me back on August 12,1991 that 25 years from now I would only be listening to music on vinyl.:greyalien: In 2016 I own two copies of this on vinyl...:ylsuper:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I jumped on the Metallica train with "Master of Puppets" then back peddled to "Ride the Lightning". I totally dug the Black Album and is pretty much the last one that I paid much attention to. Solid album that always sounds great. I was never an old school fan that hated it, but thereafter was getting into other stuff and started burning out on them. Still can appreciate them when the mood hits me. Their mark on metal can't be denied.

Last time I saw them live they were headlining Lollapalooza in '96 in Indy on their "Load" release. Seen them 4 times total, first time at Monsters of Rock in Indy with Van Halen, Dokken, Scorpions, and Kingdom Come. Caught them in Dayton opening for Queensryche, and also at Riverbend for the Black Album. If my memory serves me right the warmup at Riverbend was Godsmack, but I wouldn't bet my life on that. I could be mistaking that show with the Riverbend Black Sabbath show.

I remember buying this CD at midnight 25 years ago. I also remember one week before it's release MTV played the premiere video of Enter Sandman. I didn't like the video and I didn't like the song. I did enjoy the rest of the album and I still do. This is the album that most old school Metallica fans hated and still do. I have also had a love hate relationship with this album. After 25 years I can honestly say this is a great Metallica album and one of the best produced rock/metal records I have ever listened to. For me personally the only thing that would have made this record any better is if they would have never added Enter Sandman to the mix,but then it would have only sold 8 million copies instead of 16 million! This was the third CD that I ever owned. If someone would have told me back on August 12,1991 that 25 years from now I would only be listening to music on vinyl.:greyalien: In 2016 I own two copies of this on vinyl...:ylsuper:

Pretty much nailed my thoughts, especially on Enter Sandman. Hate that song, really like the album. I think it soured old school fans because it didn't have that Metallica metal feel, IMO. But a great album none the less.

This album got me into metal. Like everyone said, Enter sandman is a horrible song and was released for one reason. I cringe when i hear that song, and get embarrassed when I see other people really jamming out to it. Metallica was like my first drink. Eased into it then became hardcore. My first metal album was slayers south of heaven, and then my collection expanded. My favorite Metallica album is Master of Puppets. After the Black Album I stopped listening

I jumped on the Metallica train with "Master of Puppets" then back peddled to "Ride the Lightning". I totally dug the Black Album and is pretty much the last one that I paid much attention to. Solid album that always sounds great. I was never an old school fan that hated it, but thereafter was getting into other stuff and started burning out on them. Still can appreciate them when the mood hits me. Their mark on metal can't be denied.

Last time I saw them live they were headlining Lollapalooza in '96 in Indy on their "Load" release. Seen them 4 times total, first time at Monsters of Rock in Indy with Van Halen, Dokken, Scorpions, and Kingdom Come. Caught them in Dayton opening for Queensryche, and also at Riverbend for the Black Album. If my memory serves me right the warmup at Riverbend was Godsmack, but I wouldn't bet my life on that. I could be mistaking that show with the Riverbend Black Sabbath show.

Didn't know that they ever played Riverbend, was it just the once? Also, didn't they put on like the first and last Rock Festival(?) at the race track in Sparta, Ky., that opened it up, seems like I remember them and several bands at that? Have they ever performed at Bank Arena or Rupp Arena?

Didn't know that they ever played Riverbend, was it just the once? Also, didn't they put on like the first and last Rock Festival(?) at the race track in Sparta, Ky., that opened it up, seems like I remember them and several bands at that? Have they ever performed at Bank Arena or Rupp Arena?

According to the setlist website Metallica has played in Cincinnati 9 times with 4 of those shows being at Riverbend, 4 times at U.S. Bank Arena (previously known as Riverfront Coliseum), and 1 time at the Cincinnati Gardens.

I can't say how accurate this information is, and personally I don't recall them playing here that many times.

It boggles my mind that I only saw them 1 time in Cincy, and especially since the first 5 times that they were here I would have been interested in attending. By the time of their '97, '98, '04, & '09 appearances I could care less.

July 24, 1986 - Riverbend - Damage Inc.

Nov 18, 1988 - Cincinnati Gardens - Damaged Justice

July 5, 1989 - Riverbend - Damaged Justice

Mar 2, 1992 - Riverfront Coliseum - Wherever We May Roam

June 19, 1994 - Riverbend - Sht Hits the Sheds

April 16, 1997 - Riverfront Coliseum - Poor Touring Me

July 7, 1998 - Riverbend - Poor Re-Touring Me

May 1, 2004 - U.S. Bank Arena - Madly In Anger With The World

Sep 15, 2009 - U.S. Bank Arena - World Magnetic

The actual dates of the times that I saw them were:

July 6, 1988 - Hoosier Dome - Indianapolis - Monsters of Rock

April 16, 1989 - Hara Arena - Dayton w/ Queensryche

June 19, 1994 - Riverbend - Cincinnati

July 2, 1996 - Noblesville, In (Indy) - Lollapalooza

They played at Kentucky Speedway, Sparta

July 8, 2000

Summer Sanitarium 2000

Bands on the bill:

Korn

Kid Rock

Powerman 5000

System of a Down

James Hetfield could not perform due to a back injury and had to sit out, but the show went on with various singers including from the other bands manning the vocals. Metallica promised a free show the following month in Columbus at Buckeye Lake to those who held on to their ticket stubs.

Here's an article form the Cincinnati Enquirer about the show:

Hetfield-less Metallica turns concert into karaoke

Metallica @ Rupp Arena

Feb. 5, 1993 - Nowhere Else to Roam

Aug. 8 or 9 (???), 2000 - Summer Sanitarium

According to the setlist website Metallica has played in Cincinnati 9 times with 4 of those shows being at Riverbend, 4 times at U.S. Bank Arena (previously known as Riverfront Coliseum), and 1 time at the Cincinnati Gardens.

I can't say how accurate this information is, and personally I don't recall them playing here that many times.

It boggles my mind that I only saw them 1 time in Cincy, and especially since the first 5 times that they were here I would have been interested in attending. By the time of their '97, '98, '04, & '09 appearances I could care less.

July 24, 1986 - Riverbend - Damage Inc.

Nov 18, 1988 - Cincinnati Gardens - Damaged Justice

July 5, 1989 - Riverbend - Damaged Justice

Mar 2, 1992 - Riverfront Coliseum - Wherever We May Roam

June 19, 1994 - Riverbend - Sht Hits the Sheds

April 16, 1997 - Riverfront Coliseum - Poor Touring Me

July 7, 1998 - Riverbend - Poor Re-Touring Me

May 1, 2004 - U.S. Bank Arena - Madly In Anger With The World

Sep 15, 2009 - U.S. Bank Arena - World Magnetic

The actual dates of the times that I saw them were:

July 6, 1988 - Hoosier Dome - Indianapolis - Monsters of Rock

April 16, 1989 - Hara Arena - Dayton w/ Queensryche

June 19, 1994 - Riverbend - Cincinnati

July 2, 1996 - Noblesville, In (Indy) - Lollapalooza

They played at Kentucky Speedway, Sparta

July 8, 2000

Summer Sanitarium 2000

Bands on the bill:

Korn

Kid Rock

Powerman 5000

System of a Down

James Hetfield could not perform due to a back injury and had to sit out, but the show went on with various singers including from the other bands manning the vocals. Metallica promised a free show the following month in Columbus at Buckeye Lake to those who held on to their ticket stubs.

Here's an article form the Cincinnati Enquirer about the show:

Hetfield-less Metallica turns concert into karaoke

Metallica @ Rupp Arena

Feb. 5, 1993 - Nowhere Else to Roam

Aug. 8 or 9 (???), 2000 - Summer Sanitarium

I was at this one. Jerry Cantrell was the opening act and ended his set with a Pink Floyd cover of Brain Damage.

Just found reference at another site that also has them playing Riverbend on June 23, 1992 on the Wherever We May Roam Tour. This would make it 5 shows at Riverbend, and 10 total shows in Cincinnati.

Also found that the warmup for the '94 Riverbend show that I attended was Suicidal Tendencies and not Godsmack like I had originally thought.

Here's a link to all of their tours including all of their supporting acts.

List of Metallica concert tours - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That was an awesome show, man I miss the 80's.

Just found reference at another site that also has them playing Riverbend on June 23, 1992 on the Wherever We May Roam Tour. This would make it 5 shows at Riverbend, and 10 total shows in Cincinnati.

Also found that the warmup for the '94 Riverbend show that I attended was Suicidal Tendencies and not Godsmack like I had originally thought.

Here's a link to all of their tours including all of their supporting acts.

List of Metallica concert tours - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hard to believe they have been in Cincinnati and especially Riverbend that many times. The thing I remember reading about the Sparta concert was the traffic and mud situation, lots of vehicles stuck,etc. They never did have another concert there did they?

I'm a big fan of the self-titled album. It's completely different than their first four albums and marks the definite beginnings of a shift towards more hard rock than metal throughout the 90s and 2000s, but I always found it to be a very enjoyable listen. I seem to be in the minority here, but I would much rather hear "Enter Sandman" than "Sad But True". I'm not sure if it was Kid Rock that ruined that song for me, but I can't even force myself to listen to it anymore.

"Wherever I May Roam", "Nothing Else Matters", "The Unforgiven", "Don't Tread on Me".. Just lots of good songs on there.

For those of you who never bothered listening to it because of how bad St. Anger was, "Death Magnetic" from 2008 or so was a pretty solid return to form.