Metallica/Metallica (The Black Album) 25 years old today.

The Black album took them mainstream and many never got over that fact. It's actually a solid list of tracks for sure. I'm not a big Enter Sandman fan but I tell you what, I'll never forget hearing it while sitting in the Orange Bowl before a few of their biggest games. I would love to hit VaTech to see their rendition.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the time, I really liked The Black album. But, after 25 years, it has not stood the test of time in my ears. Took me many years to figure out how and when they lost their "edge". It happened in September 1986, when bassist Cliff Burton was killed......he was the creative driving force of Metallica. Saw them for first time July 1986 at Louisville's Cardinal Stadium, opening for Ozzy. In my music world, it was a life changing event. Up to that point I had never seen a band as heavy AND tight live.

• 1 month later...

So why the hate for "Enter Sandman"? Is it because, unlike most heavy metal songs, it actually has a beat/rhythm? If it had been hated by "the masses" would Metallica fans then love it? I know it's more along the lines of a hard rock song (of which I am a fan) and less of a metal song, and I guess that's what irks a lot of metal fans. But the song rocks.

• 1 month later...