Wood Pellet Grills

jpa2825

Was shopping to replace the current gas grill and just wasn't pleased with any of the other gas grill options. Looked at the komodo ceramic grills (like the Big Green Egg and others) and they either seemed too expensive OR too tough to use frequently. Looked at some wood pellet grills and didn't think much of it. However, the Mrs. started researching and got very enthused. Pretty neat concept that the temperature gauge controls an auger for the pellet dispensing into the "fire pot" to keep a very constant temperature to cook with.

We ended up ordering a Rec Tec mini. All in with taxes, delivery, a sear grate and cover it was $700. Well more than I wanted to spend but I thought it was worth a try. Website and YouTube channel for these guys have a bunch of both instructional and recipe videos. Pretty entertaining. Owners provide their personal cell phone #s on a business card with the grill when you buy it. Gimmicky, but they say if customer service doesn't get you want you need, call or text them and they'll look into it. Hopefully we'll never need it.

Any suggestions on pellets, recipies, slow cooks, etc., bring 'em on. Gonna give it a workout on SAT with the neighborhood folks over for basic dogs, burgers & chicken breasts. We'll see how it works.

I have a Traeger, and have been using it regularly for almost 10 years. One important too is to regularly clean it. They don't produce a ton of ash, but if you don't clean it every couple uses, it could suddenly go out in the middle of a smoke. I usually use traeger pecan pellets, but am giving bbq delight a spin right now. I smoke everything...pork, ribs, veggies, pizza. Tons of recipes are available online. Pellet grills are very easy to use...I love mine, and I'm sure you will too.

I have not had the chance to try a pellet grill yet. I am curious myself about them. But I was gifted a Kamado style grill for fathers day so it will be a while before I need another grill. I have five now, three of which are about to be gone. I'm happy enough with the Akorn so far that I'm just going to keep it and my indirect smoker. A gas grill, a webber kettle, and a fabricated charcoal grill are all going to the trash or a free home, whichever comes first. When my indirect smoker needs replaced, which hopefully isn't anytime soon I would definitely consider moving on to a pellet style grill.

Worked like a charm for good size gathering after the parade. Got it up to 400 in about 15 minutes. Bumped it up to 500 for the burgers. Fit 8 burgers on the sear grate pretty easily. Thought I could move those 8 to the other side and start 8 new ones but 1st 4 didn't work out great so I stuck with the sear grate and it worked fine. Used the other side for brats & metts which was fine.

Sear grate came with a special spatula where the forks fit right in the slots so very easy to flip things. About 4:30 on each side unless burger was very thick. Temp drops pretty dramatically when opening the door so often, but gets back up to temp pretty quickly.

Taste was fine, but cooking at 500 burns the pellets so fast that you don't get much of the wood flavoring in the burgers. I realize this method does not show off the capabilities of this grill, but it is good to know it is up to the task.

Didn't consume pellets as fast as I thought it might.

Gonna try some chicken and then smoke a turkey or a butt to really see how it performs.

Worked like a charm for good size gathering after the parade. Got it up to 400 in about 15 minutes. Bumped it up to 500 for the burgers. Fit 8 burgers on the sear grate pretty easily. Thought I could move those 8 to the other side and start 8 new ones but 1st 4 didn't work out great so I stuck with the sear grate and it worked fine. Used the other side for brats & metts which was fine.

Sear grate came with a special spatula where the forks fit right in the slots so very easy to flip things. About 4:30 on each side unless burger was very thick. Temp drops pretty dramatically when opening the door so often, but gets back up to temp pretty quickly.

Taste was fine, but cooking at 500 burns the pellets so fast that you don't get much of the wood flavoring in the burgers. I realize this method does not show off the capabilities of this grill, but it is good to know it is up to the task.

Didn't consume pellets as fast as I thought it might.

Gonna try some chicken and then smoke a turkey or a butt to really see how it performs.

I've done burgers on my traeger, but only in a pinch. I really don't like any beef smoked except for brisket, and maybe meat loaf. I've been planning on getting a gas grill for steaks and burgers but have just never gotten around to it. I'll probably end up replacing my traeger first.

• 4 years later...
21 hours ago, bugatti said:

Just bought a Traeger last weekend and had it delivered a couple days ago. Starting easy today with a pork tenderloin. Pumped to try it out!

I replaced my Traeger junior with a Camp Chef Woodwind. It has a few really neat features. It’s got a lever that empties the ash out of the fire pot which is a lot easier than breaking the grill down to empty using a shop vac. It also has two low temp/heavy smoke settings in addition to the regular settings from 200-450. Even better you can attach different add ons  to the side like a small gas grill, flat top grill or a pizza oven. I added the gas grill and now I can happily do burgers and dogs on that rather than wasting pellets. It’s great for reverse searing.

13 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

I replaced my Traeger junior with a Camp Chef Woodwind. It has a few really neat features. It’s got a lever that empties the ash out of the fire pot which is a lot easier than breaking the grill down to empty using a shop vac. It also has two low temp/heavy smoke settings in addition to the regular settings from 200-450. Even better you can attach different add ons  to the side like a small gas grill, flat top grill or a pizza oven. I added the gas grill and now I can happily do burgers and dogs on that rather than wasting pellets. It’s great for reverse searing.

That's the grill I'm probably going to get eventually.  Just need to save up some $ first.  Everytime I get some set aside teenage daughters come along.