Why do most KHSAA football state championship games end in blowouts?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agree. Need to eliminate 1 round for sure.

Do you move the state finals up to Thanksgiving weekend, or move the 1st round back to the 2nd weekend in November,

or do you keep the 1st round on the 1st weekend in November, keep the finals on the 1st weekend in December and give each team Thanksgiving weekend off?

Do you move the state finals up to Thanksgiving weekend, or move the 1st round back to the 2nd weekend in November,

or do you keep the 1st round on the 1st weekend in November, keep the finals on the 1st weekend in December and give each team Thanksgiving weekend off?

Don't move them up to Thanksgiving weekend. Move the season start date back a week.

Good question. Really no difference between independent and public.

I'm not in favor of separating them, but there is a difference in the make up of most independent schools and your county schools. Logistics (travel time in particular), Demographics (the entire umbrella).

Most of these rural county schools across the state are "(Insert the main town of the county) High School Football at So & So County High School". In terms of the pool of kids they draw from (football speaking), for example, you have a lot of 1A football teams in a 3A sized schools.

It's not popular to say, but in many of these counties across our state that are "one horse towns" (ie: Grayson County--one school, one school district-- and not Mayfield/Graves--two schools, two different school districts) you could send every male that lives more than 5 miles from the town/school to another one & the numbers/impact players/quality of football wouldn't miss a beat in their current class, but let them drop down a class or two and things are different.

@gchs_uk9 and I have had many discussions about this very topic.

Don't move them up to Thanksgiving weekend. Move the season start date back a week.

Definitely stay away from Thanksgiving. I like the first weekend in December as the finals weekend. However, I'd be more than happy to see a week knocked off in August (and if I can get greedy, eliminate the bye week and knock of two weeks in August!)

I'm not in favor of separating them, but there is a difference in the make up of most independent schools and your county schools. Logistics (travel time in particular), Demographics (the entire umbrella).

Most of these rural county schools across the state are "(Insert the main town of the county) High School Football at So & So County High School". In terms of the pool of kids they draw from (football speaking), for example, you have a lot of 1A football teams in a 3A sized schools.

It's not popular to say, but in many of these counties across our state that are "one horse towns" (ie: Grayson County--one school, one school district-- and not Mayfield/Graves--two schools, two different school districts) you could send every male that lives more than 5 miles from the town/school to another one & the numbers/impact players/quality of football wouldn't miss a beat in their current class, but let them drop down a class or two and things are different.

@gchs_uk9 and I have had many discussions about this very topic.

You are exactly right. When you're playing Grayson County, you're really playing Leitchfield High. When you play Larue, that's Hodgenville High. When it's Lincoln, it's really Stanford High. There are obviously exceptions in every sense, but from my experience most of the football players in rural county single-school districts come from a tight proximity to the county seat. So when those schools are "5A", most of those A's have not and never will play football.

Definitely stay away from Thanksgiving. I like the first weekend in December as the finals weekend. However, I'd be more than happy to see a week knocked off in August (and if I can get greedy, eliminate the bye week and knock of two weeks in August!)

You mean start our season on Labor Day weekend, like..um...college does or even the 2nd weekend of September like the NFL? Which would likely mean the start of practice not being until August 1st..or somewhere in that 1st week of August?

Come on now my man...that's crazy talk. :lol2:

You are exactly right. When you're playing Grayson County, you're really playing Leitchfield High. When you play Larue, that's Hodgenville High. When it's Lincoln, it's really Stanford High. There are obviously exceptions in every sense, but from my experience most of the football players in rural county single-school districts come from a tight proximity to the county seat. So when those schools are "5A", most of those A's have not and never will play football.

BINGO.

Condense the Classes down to 3.

Put the privates and independent districts into two separate classes.

Big private (you're welcome for the name)

Trinity / X /BG / Higlands / Lex Cath / Cov Cath / Owesnboro

Small private:

Everyone else

I'm advocating putting privates AND independents in their own class.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the Ludlow Panthers. Ludlow is an independent public school. Ludlow has been an average team over the years. Some ups and downs. A big part of their downs though is ... players leaving Ludlow to go play at Dixie Heights, a county public school. How could that be? Players leaving the independent public school and attending the county public school? This is not the only example. There are many players who live in independent public school districts who attend school outside their district. If there is some huge advantage for independent public schools over county public schools, please explain why players leave the independent to go to the county school.

I'd like to see the elimination of the zero week and the first round of the playoffs. That would end the season the 3rd week of November.

I'd also be fine with pushing the season's start back two weeks (in addition to killing the zero week and the first round of the playoffs) to the first week of September and keeping its end date the same as it is now.

I'm advocating putting privates AND independents in their own class.

So you believe all of the Independent, yet public schools in Kentucky should be in one class with private schools? What is your thought process behind this? Independent school systems are public schools. Below is the list of Independent school districts in KY.

Anchorage Independent (Jefferson County)

Ashland Independent (Boyd County)

Augusta Independent (Bracken County)

Barbourville Independent (Knox County)

Bardstown Independent (Nelson County)

Beechwood Independent (Kenton County)

Bellevue Independent (Campbell County)

Berea Independent (Madison County)

Bowling Green Independent (Warren County)

Burgin Independent (Mercer County)

Campbellsville Independent (Taylor County)

Caverna Independent (Barren County)

Cloverport Independent (Breckinridge County)

Corbin Independent (Whitley County)

Covington Independent (Kenton County)

Danville Independent (Boyle County)

Dawson Springs Independent (Hopkins County)

Dayton Independent (Campbell County)

East Bernstadt Independent (Laurel County)

Elizabethtown Independent (Hardin County)

Eminence Independent (Henry County)

Erlanger-Elsmere Independent (Kenton County)

Fairview Independent (Boyd County)

Ft. Thomas Independent (Campbell County)

Frankfort Independent (Franklin County)

Fulton Independent (Fulton County)

Glasgow Independent (Barren County)

Harlan Independent (Harlan County)

Hazard Independent (Perry County)

Jackson Independent (Breathitt County)

Jenkins Independent

Ludlow Independent (Kenton County)

Mayfield Independent (Graves County)

Middlesboro Independent (Bell County)

Murray Independent (Calloway County)

Newport Independent (Campbell County)

Owensboro Independent (Daviess County)

Paducah Independent (McCracken County)

Paintsville Independent (Johnson County)

Paris Independent (Bourbon County)

Pikeville Independent (Pike County)

Pineville Independent (Bell County)

Raceland-Worthington Independent (Greenup County)

Russell Independent (Greenup County)

Russellville Independent (Logan County)

Science Hill Independent (Pulaski County)

Silver Grove Independent (Campbell County)

Somerset Independent (Pulaski County)

Southgate Independent (Campbell County)

Walton-Verona Independent (Boone County)

West Point Independent (Hardin County)

Williamsburg Independent (Whitley County)

Williamstown Independent (Grant County)