Tom Brady 4 game suspension upheld by Appeals court.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By winning Deflategate and punishing Tom Brady, Roger Goodell may actually be losing - The Washington Post

I hate the Patriots. I despise them, an NFC team executive told Freeman. But they really should get those picks back.

Freeman writes that many of his sources used the same word, railroaded. They believe Goodell, he writes, wielded power unfairly and arbitrarily. They think, in effect, that what happened to the Patriots could happen to any of them.

Tom Brady saved $1.6 million by being suspended this year instead of last year because of his contract

Tom Brady's suspension will cost him only $235, - Apr. 25, 216

A court just reinstated Tom Brady's four-game deflategate suspension, but it's not all bad news for the New England Patriots quarterback. That suspension will cost him a whole lot less this year than it would have in 2015.

That's because Brady took a big pay cut for the 2016 season, agreeing to a salary of just $1 million, according to data from Spotrac.com. That's down from his 2015 base salary of $8 million.

The result: A four-game suspension this year will only cost Brady about $235,000, whereas it would have cost him $1.9 million last year, when the NFL initially ordered Brady to be sidelined.

Even though Brady's salary was drastically reduced in 2016, he didn't actually take a pay cut, since he also got a huge, $13 million signing bonus for the year.And signing bonuses are paid out to players regardless of how many games they play. In other words, the bulk of Tom Brady's compensation is protected from the NFL suspension and fine.

Just so I understand, Tom Brady is only making $14 million this year?

Technically.

Although I don't really consider his signing bonus as part of his annual salary, because he gets that whether he plays a snap or not.

He's basically making $765K this year, and giving the league a giant middle finger in the process.

Kornheiser had an attorney on his local radio show this week. Essentially, the fact the agreement was collectively bargained ensures that Goodell has this power and he thinks courts will not take any more appeals.

Kornheiser had an attorney on his local radio show this week. Essentially, the fact the agreement was collectively bargained ensures that Goodell has this power and he thinks courts will not take any more appeals.

This is a strange one. Four judges have heard this now. 2 have sided with Brady/Union and 2 have sided with the NFL. I think the judges are collectively saying that while the process was unfair and the penalty was unfair, Goodell has the right to do this because of how the CBA reads. Simple as that.