April 25, 201610 yr If someone assaults a child in a restroom, do you really think anyone is going to care why they claim they were in said bathroom? It'll be an afterthought. If it's not going to actually prevent the crime from occurring than what purpose does it serve?
April 25, 201610 yr I'll agree with rjs on 1 point, these laws won't prevent perverts from trying to go into the wrong restroom for nefarious purposes. What they will do is prevent those perverts from claiming they were in there because it's the sex they identify as. There is no legitimate reason for a man to go into a women's restroom, these laws insure that remains true. If it will prevent even 1 tragedy isn't that reason enough? You can't prove that any more than I can prove getting rid of guns will cause one less death in the future.
April 25, 201610 yr It will keep someone who's just in there to get his jollies looking from having a real argument about why he should be in there. No, it won't stop a molester any more the stronger gun laws will stop gun crimes.
April 25, 201610 yr Why are folks so worried about someone dressing up as a women or a transgender person accessing the ladies room to commit a crime, when the more likely scenario of a man committing a crime in the men's room is the more likely event to happen? Men haven't been dressing as women to do this before, and this law won't make them anymore likely to do it in the future. Public restrooms are not convenient places to commit crimes....they are unpredictably busy, in public places, and children rarely enter them alone. And if someone is stupid enough to try to commit a crime in there, claiming they have the right to be there will not prevent them from being arrested and charged. The right to be there doesn't give the right to commit a crime.
April 25, 201610 yr LANCASTER, Pa. –A Quarryville man is accused of taking pictures of a 10 year-old girl using the bathroom Quarryville man accused of using phone to look at 1-year-old girl in Sheetz restroom | WPMT FOX43 So what this proves is that the issue of whether transgender people can use the bathroom of their choice has nothing to do with whether criminals will do what they do. Just like we do with criminals that use a gun, let's hold criminals that prey on children accountable for their actions.
April 25, 201610 yr I'll agree with rjs on 1 point, these laws won't prevent perverts from trying to go into the wrong restroom for nefarious purposes. What they will do is prevent those perverts from claiming they were in there because it's the sex they identify as. There is no legitimate reason for a man to go into a women's restroom, these laws insure that remains true. If it will prevent even 1 tragedy isn't that reason enough? For purposes of comparison, what if additional handgun restrictions were enacted, and hundreds (or perish the thought, even more) tragedies were prevented...
April 26, 201610 yr It will keep someone who's just in there to get his jollies looking from having a real argument about why he should be in there. No, it won't stop a molester any more the stronger gun laws will stop gun crimes. Which is the only reason I posted about it. A rapist isn't a rapist because he thinks it's legal and a child molester isn't a child molester because he thinks it's legal.
April 26, 201610 yr So what this proves is that the issue of whether transgender people can use the bathroom of their choice has nothing to do with whether criminals will do what they do. Just like we do with criminals that use a gun, let's hold criminals that prey on children accountable for their actions. You could easilly make the argument it makes it easier for those people to gain access. I honestly don't see how it is a right of someone to claim something against biology and makes others uncomfortable. Like I said I personally would not be uncomfortable. But my mother and younger sisters would be . We can define gender by biology and body parts. It's easily definable and can be legislated. You can not identify someones mental state or gender the identify with based on mental alone. There are really only two ways legally under the law in my mind we can proceed under the constitution. Either we make all bathrooms unisex or we keep genders seperate. There is no middle ground because there is no way to identify who is transgender and who is not. It's the simple truth that keeps getting danced around.
April 26, 201610 yr You could easilly make the argument it makes it easier for those people to gain access. I honestly don't see how it is a right of someone to claim something against biology and makes others uncomfortable. Like I said I personally would not be uncomfortable. But my mother and younger sisters would be . We can define gender by biology and body parts. It's easily definable and can be legislated. You can not identify someones mental state or gender the identify with based on mental alone. There are really only two ways legally under the law in my mind we can proceed under the constitution. Either we make all bathrooms unisex or we keep genders seperate. There is no middle ground because there is no way to identify who is transgender and who is not. It's the simple truth that keeps getting danced around. This is a key point. You are right, there's no way to tell if one is transgender or not. And that's because transgenders live their lives every day as the gender they identify with. They look, dress, take hormones and have surgery to make that transition. For the most part, you have no idea when a man/woman is transgender, simply because when you see them, you think they are the gender they identify with. And it takes time, sometimes years for that transition to take place, and it's by no means easy. An average joe who just wants to commit crimes by entering by dressing as women is not going to take the time, effort and expense to "fake" their gender. It's not that easy to convincingly fake your gender. So your point about keeping the genders separate is correct. It works now, and will work in the future. All we are talking about is letting a transgender person who is living their lives, and is legally considered the sex they identify with use that bathroom.
April 26, 201610 yr This is a key point. You are right, there's no way to tell if one is transgender or not. And that's because transgenders live their lives every day as the gender they identify with. They look, dress, take hormones and have surgery to make that transition. For the most part, you have no idea when a man/woman is transgender, simply because when you see them, you think they are the gender they identify with. And it takes time, sometimes years for that transition to take place, and it's by no means easy. An average joe who just wants to commit crimes by entering by dressing as women is not going to take the time, effort and expense to "fake" their gender. It's not that easy to convincingly fake your gender. So your point about keeping the genders separate is correct. It works now, and will work in the future. All we are talking about is letting a transgender person who is living their lives, and is legally considered the sex they identify with use that bathroom. Again there is no way for you to sit here and say a majority take hormones and have the surgery and act like you are correct. I'm pretty sure in my very first post I said if you get the surgery and have matching body parts I'm fine with it. But as long as body parts match we need to stick to the gender break downs by biology. Edited April 26, 201610 yr by LIPTON BASH
April 26, 201610 yr Author For just a second, stop and think and let a little common sense rush into all our brains and ask yourself why we are even talking about this( and yes I know I started the thread)? Where have we come to as a society? A question as simple as which restroom we go into has become a confused issue. God help us all.
April 26, 201610 yr Again there is no way for you to sit here and say a majority take hormones and have the surgery and act like you are correct. You are correct...and I never meant to imply that all transgenders take ALL the steps I mentioned. But my point still stands. It's not easy to convincingly fake your gender without bringing even more attention to yourself. If it were, there would many, many cases of crimes being committed in bathrooms by people faking their gender. There simply are not. We DO have many cases of people committing crimes while in the correct bathroom. We have many incidents of sexual abuse and hazing by those of the same sex in locker rooms. The cross dresser committing crimes in the wrong bathroom is a boogeyman that doesn't exist.
April 26, 201610 yr I am trying to get myself worked up over this whole thing but I can't. I admit that I do not get the whole transgender thing, but I am seeing many more threats to our society or collective moral compasses than to worry about such a small fraction of people wanting use a particular bathroom. Opponents to this are worried that child molesters or pedophiles have been awaiting this opportunity. Really? Newsflash, the overwhelming majority of child abuse cases are family members of a have a direct connection to the victim. Instead of worrying about Bruce Jenner, worry about Uncle Larry the kleenex salesman.
April 26, 201610 yr For purposes of comparison, what if additional handgun restrictions were enacted, and hundreds (or perish the thought, even more) tragedies were prevented... Ain't nuthin' in the Constitution about using the bathroom!
April 26, 201610 yr I have been to Europe multiple times. I had no issue with it. I haven't researched it, but I don't think they have any issues with restroom crime. So I really don't consider that much into the equation. Most of the ones I went to had an area in the front with sinks, and toilets. The toilets were basically in closets that were completely enclosed. Then in the rear was a urinal area. Although, like someone mentioned earlier, there were some that had the urinal area in the front that everyone had to walk by. I don't think women and children should have to walk by men urinating. Other than that, I wouldn't care. That said, in the current set up, I still think people should use body-part appropriate restrooms. The biggest issue to me is the cost. It would be a huge cost to businesses to have to change the restrooms to fit a design similar to Europe's. If a business wants to put in one unisex bathroom instead of two separate bathrooms, I have no issue with that either, that is their choice. People who don't want to support the business don't have to.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.