WYMT Mountain Top 10

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did mean Southwestern Pulaski Joesgym, thank you for correcting me. Do not get "PEOD" I am not trying to run down any team. As I said, in any given season, Middlesboro, Corbin or Somerset may have a top 5 (all classes included) team. This is especially true for Corbin who has a tradition as fine anyone in the USA.

I do not believe that all time records hold much snuff these days. Until the 1990's most of the Big County Schools (Bell County included) had terrible football programs. Infact, at one time, good football players were expected to transfer from County elementaries to the city highschools, if they wanted to play football. Even in recent history, the best 9th grade player coming from the Whitley Feeder Program in 2000, 2001 and 2002 transfered to Corbin (Jarrod Lawson, Brad Lawson and Dustin Gray). Brad and Jarrod went on to become all state players at Corbin. These transfers, along with the Brock Brothers, transfer created a lot of friction between the school systems unlike in the past when such transfers were almost consisdered obligatory. I do not think you will see much of this activity in the future. At any rate, it is time to move on and forget the past.

For many years, the large rural county schools did not have the money, tradition or quite frankly the interest to field good football teams. Lets face it, most kids are not going to walk 15 to 30 miles to get home from practice or games (School Buses now provide transportation for all players to and from games and practice). Laurel County and Knox County did not even have a feeder program (none below middle school) until the past 5 or 6 years. Whitley County diid not start 3rd and 4th grade football until 1996 and their 5th and 6th grade programs were really non-existant until 1992. Mike Campbell did a great job establishing the Whitley feeder program and it continues to improve every year. I do not believe any of these county programs have grasshopper football as we speak. I expect this to happen soon in Whitley County.

The larger school systems are now developing the financial support and interest needed to produce good football programs. The results are going to be evident on the field. Whitleys program has almost linearly improved with the improvement of their feeder program. (Whitley has not had great records as a 4A school but, their teams have consistently been competitive in 4A and on par with Bell, Rock, and Southwestern talent wise.) As I stated above, I believe that Whitley and South Laurel have now developed their programs, to the extent, that in most seasons, they would beat Corbin, Middlesboro, and Somerset. Knox County is also improving rapidly. As examples, I think South has beaten Corbin two years in a row and Whitley has beaten Middlesboro the last three times thay have played including one complete blowout.

Times, they are a changing.

For the record concerning historical matchup results, Whitley has never beaten Corbin in a football game nor have they ever beaten Williamsburg in a football game. However, they have not played Corbin since 1980 and they have not played Williamsburg since 1978. The games were stopped (supposedly) due to fighting between the players off the field. These days it seems the players get along very well off the field. I know that my son (a Whitley Player) socializes on a regular basis with several Williamsburg and Corbin players.

It is time that Corbin and Whitley play football against each other. It would very good for both schools and the community. It would also be all right with me if Whitley and Williamsburg played each other occasionally although, to be honest, Williamsburg is such a small school, that most seasons, they would be competitive against Whitley.

:thumb:

Don't they play in basketball? DId they not fight there? It seems odd that they would never play

1 Rock

2 SOUTHWESTERN

3.BELFRY

4.SOMERSET

5.BELL

6.PULASKI

7.SHELDON CLARK

8.JOHNSON CENTRAL

9.LYNN CAMP

10.WHITLEY

DON'T BE SO TOUCHY>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That is the most pathetic excuse for a mountain top ten i have ever seen.

The first 5 are fine the the last five i think you had a moment. And no i am not fighting for Corbin to be in there yet. They have to earn a spot.

1 Rock

2 SOUTHWESTERN

3.BELFRY

4.SOMERSET

5.BELL

6.PULASKI

7.SHELDON CLARK

8.JOHNSON CENTRAL

9.LYNN CAMP

10.WHITLEY

:laugh: hahahahha...... IMOnot dising Belfry but Johnson Central went up to pond creek and put a beating on them and you put belfry that high...and belfry could kill sheldon clark....lets think a little bit:sleep:

thanks

1 Rock

2 SOUTHWESTERN

3.BELFRY

4.SOMERSET

5.BELL

6.PULASKI

7.SHELDON CLARK

8.JOHNSON CENTRAL

9.LYNN CAMP

10.WHITLEY

This is your opinion and I respect it but I would shake things up a bit. The top 5 is pretty good although I don't see Somerset bein there just yet. Pulaski County was pretty bad last year and don't look better this year. They got spanked in a scrimmage by Casey County (a team who I don't think has played Corbin within 20 points since 99). Sheldon Clark and Johnson Central can make a case. I see Whitley bein about right. Lynn Camp is not quite there yet due to some key losses and I heard Scalf tore his ACL and is out. They could make a run.

here is my top 10.

1. Rock

2. Southwestern

3. Bell

4. Belfry

5. Corbin

6. Somerset

7. Johnson Central

8. Paintsville

9. Middlesboro

10. Pikeville

Other teams to look out for. Whitley,Lynn Camp, South Laurel, Clay County, Cumberland, Harlan, Breathitt, Letcher County Central, Hazard

I honestly think that after Rock, you can swap any of 2-10 and make it look good.

I for one don't think JCHS should be ranked at all! What have they earned? They haven't earned anything! They lost at home in the playoffs and don't have Blume. I am a an Eagle fan but I honestly don't think JCHS should even be ranked. They haven't earned anything so far. A pat on the back maybe but not a top 5 ranking in the mountains.

This is your opinion and I respect it but I would shake things up a bit. The top 5 is pretty good although I don't see Somerset bein there just yet. Pulaski County was pretty bad last year and don't look better this year. They got spanked in a scrimmage by Casey County (a team who I don't think has played Corbin within 20 points since 99). Sheldon Clark and Johnson Central can make a case. I see Whitley bein about right. Lynn Camp is not quite there yet due to some key losses and I heard Scalf tore his ACL and is out. They could make a run.

here is my top 10.

1. Rock

2. Southwestern

3. Bell

4. Belfry

5. Corbin

6. Somerset

7. Johnson Central

8. Paintsville

9. Middlesboro

10. Pikeville

Other teams to look out for. Whitley,Lynn Camp, South Laurel, Clay County, Cumberland, Harlan, Breathitt, Letcher County Central, Hazard

I honestly think that after Rock, you can swap any of 2-10 and make it look good.

Paintsville is not #8 in Mountain Class A at this point...

I for one don't think JCHS should be ranked at all! What have they earned? They haven't earned anything! They lost at home in the playoffs and don't have Blume. I am a an Eagle fan but I honestly don't think JCHS should even be ranked. They haven't earned anything so far. A pat on the back maybe but not a top 5 ranking in the mountains.

True JCHS did lose its opening playoff game at home but it was easily the worst game that they had played all year with a total of 6 turnovers and with the last one coming in the endzone on an interception that could have won the game. Now as far as Blume goes, he was huge and i dont look for the eagles to replace him with any one player but with a bunch of different players. Let me throw the names Blake Johnson, Shawn Grimm, and Ian Welch at you for they will make up together what JC lost in Blume. And when you throw in the fact that JC now has a legit passing game along with a balanced passing attack and a defense that returns 9 of 11 starters with a transfer from LC that has already made himself known, JC does deserve a ranking in the Top Ten, maybe not 5 but they should be in there.

I agree. Paintsville has a great QB in Daniel Pugh but he cant do it all by himself and that is basically all Paintsville has. P-ville should finish 2nd or 3rd in their district but are definately not in the Mountain Top Ten.

Mountain Class A?? Okay who are the 7 teams in front of them. I agree with you they do not belong in the Mountain Top Ten, but I'd rank them #4 in the Mountains class A behind Pikeville, Somerset and Lynn Camp.

I agree. Paintsville has a great QB in Daniel Pugh but he cant do it all by himself and that is basically all Paintsville has. P-ville should finish 2nd or 3rd in their district but are definately not in the Mountain Top Ten.

I wouldn't go as far as to say he's the only player, Sublett and Cantrell both return from leading the defense in a few categories.