Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

WYMT Mountain Top 10

Featured Replies

Did i say Corbin was a top ten???

I didn't think so.

They will be by the end of the first five games, thats what will proove it, not our district.

No in my opinion whitley, lynn camp, south laurel and Corbin hasn't earned the right to be mentioned yet.

 

 

Waaaaaaaaa:cry: :cry: :cry:

  • Replies 83
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^Ranking Clay in the top 10 after they lost their last 3 games by an average score of 50-14??? Not me.

 

Also, Pikeville beat Corbin at Corbin 34-0 last year and has most of their team back. Corbin beat Middlesboro...how is Middlesboro ranked so high??? Corbin can't be ranked above Pikeville at this point either...

 

Many of the teams ranked in the top 10 need to do a lot of work to get there...and can't be there by the way they have played lately...

 

Pre-season rankings are solely for fans and media members.

 

Trust me, players and coaches care ONLY about POST-season rankings.

Pre-season rankings are solely for fans and media members.

 

Trust me, players and coaches care ONLY about POST-season rankings.

 

:thumb: :thumb:

I think Pikeville, Rock, Belfry and Breathitt would have something to say about that.

 

 

Good Point!!!!:fight:

This is your opinion and I respect it but I would shake things up a bit. The top 5 is pretty good although I don't see Somerset bein there just yet. Pulaski County was pretty bad last year and don't look better this year. They got spanked in a scrimmage by Casey County (a team who I don't think has played Corbin within 20 points since 99). Sheldon Clark and Johnson Central can make a case. I see Whitley bein about right. Lynn Camp is not quite there yet due to some key losses and I heard Scalf tore his ACL and is out. They could make a run.

 

here is my top 10.

 

1. Rock

2. Southwestern

3. Bell

4. Belfry

5. Corbin

6. Somerset

7. Johnson Central

8. Paintsville

9. Middlesboro

10. Pikeville

 

Other teams to look out for. Whitley,Lynn Camp, South Laurel, Clay County, Cumberland, Harlan, Breathitt, Letcher County Central, Hazard

 

I honestly think that after Rock, you can swap any of 2-10 and make it look good.

 

 

40 yards total offense? and no TDs....that is certianly top 5 creditials to me......:sleep:

:fight:

This is your opinion and I respect it but I would shake things up a bit. The top 5 is pretty good although I don't see Somerset bein there just yet. Pulaski County was pretty bad last year and don't look better this year. They got spanked in a scrimmage by Casey County (a team who I don't think has played Corbin within 20 points since 99). Sheldon Clark and Johnson Central can make a case. I see Whitley bein about right. Lynn Camp is not quite there yet due to some key losses and I heard Scalf tore his ACL and is out. They could make a run.

 

here is my top 10.

 

1. Rock

2. Southwestern

3. Bell

4. Belfry

5. Corbin

6. Somerset

7. Johnson Central

8. Paintsville

9. Middlesboro

10. Pikeville

 

Other teams to look out for. Whitley,Lynn Camp, South Laurel, Clay County, Cumberland, Harlan, Breathitt, Letcher County Central, Hazard

 

I honestly think that after Rock, you can swap any of 2-10 and make it look good.

 

My question is this how is Rockcastle the consenus #1 team in the mountains and several people are saying that Corbin is to high or shouldn't even be rated, after all didn't the Hounds play Rock to a 2-0 barn burner last week. :creepy: IMO it should be Belfry as the #1 team in the mountains and take your pick with the other 9 teams. I think Rock is very over rated, they have a QB that IMO is very sub-par and the only play that they could run against Corbin was the fullback trap. They have no team speed, just big and slow mountain boys.:fight:

I for one don't think JCHS should be ranked at all! What have they earned? They haven't earned anything! They lost at home in the playoffs and don't have Blume. I am a an Eagle fan but I honestly don't think JCHS should even be ranked. They haven't earned anything so far. A pat on the back maybe but not a top 5 ranking in the mountains.

 

You aren't an Eagle fan, or you're one of the Central coaches (lol). My take, totally understanding its way too early:

 

1. Rockcastle Co. (Weird game, but they won, and until they lose...)

2. Southwestern (No opinion because I don't have a clue)

3. Bell Co. (OK, but Whitley shouldn't be far behind)

4. Belfry (I guess, again, until they lose or win ugly)

5. Johnson Central (Looks about right, but check back in a few weeks)

6. Middlesboro (Are you serious?)

7. Corbin (Absolutely)

8. Somerset (No way)

9. South Laurel (Double no way)

10. Sheldon Clark (Ah...why not)

Johnson Central should be ranked ahead of Belfry. Does head to head mean nothing? I also feel Pikeville is a better team than Pulaski Co.

 

If the head to head had been a real game, I agree! But since it was just a scrimmage and I do agree with alot of the Belfry posters that Belfry does not show everything they have in scrimmages, although I don't think we did either. Belfry is a well respected program and until they lose a game, I must agree with their placement ahead of us.

I for one don't think JCHS should be ranked at all! What have they earned? They haven't earned anything! They lost at home in the playoffs and don't have Blume. I am a an Eagle fan but I honestly don't think JCHS should even be ranked. They haven't earned anything so far. A pat on the back maybe but not a top 5 ranking in the mountains.

 

Luckily, how we faired in the playoffs last year has little impact on our ranking this year. As for the loss of Blume, call N. Laurel and ask them if we were able to run the ball without Ron.

Luckily, how we faired in the playoffs last year has little impact on our ranking this year. As for the loss of Blume, call N. Laurel and ask them if we were able to run the ball without Ron.

You Know! :fight:

I did mean Southwestern Pulaski Joesgym, thank you for correcting me. Do not get "PEOD" I am not trying to run down any team. As I said, in any given season, Middlesboro, Corbin or Somerset may have a top 5 (all classes included) team. This is especially true for Corbin who has a tradition as fine anyone in the USA.

 

I do not believe that all time records hold much snuff these days. Until the 1990's most of the Big County Schools (Bell County included) had terrible football programs. Infact, at one time, good football players were expected to transfer from County elementaries to the city highschools, if they wanted to play football. Even in recent history, the best 9th grade player coming from the Whitley Feeder Program in 2000, 2001 and 2002 transfered to Corbin (Jarrod Lawson, Brad Lawson and Dustin Gray). Brad and Jarrod went on to become all state players at Corbin. These transfers, along with the Brock Brothers, transfer created a lot of friction between the school systems unlike in the past when such transfers were almost consisdered obligatory. I do not think you will see much of this activity in the future. At any rate, it is time to move on and forget the past.

 

For many years, the large rural county schools did not have the money, tradition or quite frankly the interest to field good football teams. Lets face it, most kids are not going to walk 15 to 30 miles to get home from practice or games (School Buses now provide transportation for all players to and from games and practice). Laurel County and Knox County did not even have a feeder program (none below middle school) until the past 5 or 6 years. Whitley County diid not start 3rd and 4th grade football until 1996 and their 5th and 6th grade programs were really non-existant until 1992. Mike Campbell did a great job establishing the Whitley feeder program and it continues to improve every year. I do not believe any of these county programs have grasshopper football as we speak. I expect this to happen soon in Whitley County.

 

The larger school systems are now developing the financial support and interest needed to produce good football programs. The results are going to be evident on the field. Whitleys program has almost linearly improved with the improvement of their feeder program. (Whitley has not had great records as a 4A school but, their teams have consistently been competitive in 4A and on par with Bell, Rock, and Southwestern talent wise.) As I stated above, I believe that Whitley and South Laurel have now developed their programs, to the extent, that in most seasons, they would beat Corbin, Middlesboro, and Somerset. Knox County is also improving rapidly. As examples, I think South has beaten Corbin two years in a row and Whitley has beaten Middlesboro the last three times thay have played including one complete blowout.

 

Times, they are a changing.

 

For the record concerning historical matchup results, Whitley has never beaten Corbin in a football game nor have they ever beaten Williamsburg in a football game. However, they have not played Corbin since 1980 and they have not played Williamsburg since 1978. The games were stopped (supposedly) due to fighting between the players off the field. These days it seems the players get along very well off the field. I know that my son (a Whitley Player) socializes on a regular basis with several Williamsburg and Corbin players.

 

It is time that Corbin and Whitley play football against each other. It would very good for both schools and the community. It would also be all right with me if Whitley and Williamsburg played each other occasionally although, to be honest, Williamsburg is such a small school, that most seasons, they would be competitive against Whitley.

 

:thumb:

Whitley Co defeated Wburg in 1975, 76 and 77. They did not play in 78. The last game was in around 86 or 87 with Wburg winning. I forsee a Corbin Whitley game. With Wburg being the 5th or 6th smallest school in the state to play football I dont see them playing Whitley except maybe every 5 or 6 years.

I was just looking at some of your guy's top 10 and all i have to say is WOW! Sheldon Clark is should not even be in the top 10. Sorry, I even played at SC. People picking Belfry so high i wish you guys could've seen the scrimmage between them and Johnson Central. They didn't even score on JC but who knows it was preseaon.

I was just looking at some of your guy's top 10 and all i have to say is WOW! Sheldon Clark is should not even be in the top 10. Sorry, I even played at SC. People picking Belfry so high i wish you guys could've seen the scrimmage between them and Johnson Central. They didn't even score on JC but who knows it was preseaon.

Aren't teams allowed to have bad games, or excuse me "scrimmages"..:lol: I think it is hilarious how most JC fans see a scrimmage as thier signature win of the season and it wasn't even a game. If JC would spend as much time focusing on thier own team and thier schedule instead of worrying about the Pirates who have already established themselves as a Mountain power and could really truly care less about what Johnson Central and Jim Matney think about them, they have thier eye on a bigger prize, and haven't given another though to that scrimmage! :lol:

I definitely think SC is posted way too high and did anyone hear about the JC & Belfry scrimmage. Well...Belfry didn't score this is not even considering the 2 or 3 turnovers.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.