Kentucky has the highest cancer rate in the US.

mexitucky

I think cancer is more a result of genetics than most people do.

Some families get decimated by cancer even when spread out across the country...aunts uncles cousins parents grandparents seemingly nearly all are touched by cancer in some way. Then other families have nearly no cancer in them.

My family back through great grandparents on both sides up to aunts, uncles and cousins has been 100% cancer free to date.

Maybe it's because no one does autopsies and most coroners have no medical training? In my younger days, we had the highest rate of heart attacks because no one had ever heard of cancer.

I think in this day most cancer is found prior to death by doctors.

States with the Highest Cancer Rates

Why? It can't be all tobacco based. Is it water? Genetics?

Cancer is caused by changes (mutations) to the DNA within cells. The DNA inside a cell is packaged into a large number of individual genes, each of which contains a set of instructions telling the cell what functions to perform, as well as how to grow and divide. Errors in the instructions can cause the cell to stop its normal function and may allow a cell to become cancerous.

Gene mutations can occur for several reasons, for instance:

Gene mutations you're born with. You may be born with a genetic mutation that you inherited from your parents. This type of mutation accounts for a small percentage of cancers.

Gene mutations that occur after birth. Most gene mutations occur after you're born and aren't inherited. A number of forces can cause gene mutations, such as smoking, radiation, viruses, cancer-causing chemicals (carcinogens), obesity, hormones, chronic inflammation and a lack of exercise.

Gene mutations occur frequently during normal cell growth. However, cells contain a mechanism that recognizes when a mistake occurs and repairs the mistake. Occasionally, a mistake is missed. This could cause a cell to become cancerous. The gene mutations you're born with and those that you acquire throughout your life work together to cause cancer.

Cancer Causes - Mayo Clinic

I think cancer is more a result of genetics than most people do.

Some families get decimated by cancer even when spread out across the country...aunts uncles cousins parents grandparents seemingly nearly all are touched by cancer in some way. Then other families have nearly no cancer in them.

My family back through great grandparents on both sides up to aunts, uncles and cousins has been 100% cancer free to date.

What have been the causes of death in your family? Old age? I always figured in the great grand parent days, many died of cancer but we didn't know what it was or what to look for.

What have been the causes of death in your family? Old age? I always figured in the great grand parent days, many died of cancer but we didn't know what it was or what to look for.

Variety of reasons, but no one living or dead has been diagnosed with cancer.

Paternal Grandmother had a Stroke/Heart Attack and fell dead while singing in church.

Paternal Grandfather had a Stroke riding in the backseat with me when I was 13.

Maternal Grandmother, not sure but I believe a combination of age and ongoing illness.

Maternal Grandfather passed away from lung disease, but did not have lung cancer.

Father passed from a staph infection that infected his heart valves.

Aunt passed from kidney failure and related issues.

You're assuming people go to doctors. Only a small portion actually do. Most don't trust them or cannot afford them.

According to the CDC...

83% of Adults say they have went to or consulted a health care professional in the last year...that goes to over 92% for Children.

Physician office visits

-Number of visits: 928.6 million

-Number of visits per 100 persons: 300.8

Hospital outpatient visits

-Number of visits: 125.7 million

-Number of visits per 100 persons: 41.0

According to the CDC...

83% of Adults say they have went to or consulted a health care professional in the last year...that goes to over 92% for Children.

Physician office visits

-Number of visits: 928.6 million

-Number of visits per 100 persons: 300.8

Hospital outpatient visits

-Number of visits: 125.7 million

-Number of visits per 100 persons: 41.0

Not a chance those stats are anywhere comparable to what is reality in KY

Water, air quality, tobacco legacy, food, and alcohol! Thankfully I quit tobacco years ago. Yes, the "experts" are beginning to make strides in genetics, however I give a lot more credibility to what we have better control over. I love fatty foods that taste really good...I've seen me eat them before and will continue to do so.

I will add the Ohio Valley holds a lot of pollution and let's be honest...we're the furthest thing from green regarding food production, coal keeping the lights on, and yes are water pretty much is sucking on the hind tit and has for some time now!

I still love it here and will always call it home. I might depart Gods goods earth before I'm 60....and I'm at peace that!