January 6, 201610 yr As laughable as Briscoe's offensive struggles? I was just trying to throw out an option to try. I have seen a lot of games this year and Briscoe doesn't appear to be getting better on the offensive end. The ineptitude of the big guys offensive skills just allows for too many non-offensive guys at one time on the floor. I like my chances with Ulis driving the ball and Murray and Willis on the wings. If Briscoe does play, no way should he ever shoot anything but a layup. We already lose too many possessions with his awesome free throw shooting, why waste more with him jacking up three's. UK is not too hard to guard when you only two options to score and one of them is 5'8" point guard. Actually, more laughable. Briscoe can't shoot, that is obvious. But there is more to offense than just shooting at which he excels. He can dribble, pass, set screens, etc. And defensively he can play. Willis is practically inept defensively, and his offensive repertoire consists of shooting baseline threes and making awkward passes because he knows he can't finish plays.
January 6, 201610 yr I've got to ask this of those "in the know." How did Skal ever get ranked #2 in the Recruit Rankings? I just can't see how anyone possibly thought that if he played against anyone. I was looking at one of those "NBA draft readiness" sites a little while ago and they had him at #5.
January 6, 201610 yr I was looking at one of those "NBA draft readiness" sites a little while ago and they had him at #5. :idunno:
January 6, 201610 yr You just cited two cats that are 50+ years old. Says a lot about my point. I cited the two who came to mind. We will see if Ulis plays pro. I say yes
January 6, 201610 yr We have a small, somewhat flawed roster. I have a belief that Cal will have them playing better by tournament time and I don't see this being like 13 at all.
January 6, 201610 yr Actually, more laughable. Briscoe can't shoot, that is obvious. But there is more to offense than just shooting at which he excels. He can dribble, pass, set screens, etc. And defensively he can play. Willis is practically inept defensively, and his offensive repertoire consists of shooting baseline threes and making awkward passes because he knows he can't finish plays. He is not the best defender, but imo UK looks better when he is on the floor. I honestly want to see him play more now.
January 6, 201610 yr As laughable as Briscoe's offensive struggles? I was just trying to throw out an option to try. I have seen a lot of games this year and Briscoe doesn't appear to be getting better on the offensive end. The ineptitude of the big guys offensive skills just allows for too many non-offensive guys at one time on the floor. I like my chances with Ulis driving the ball and Murray and Willis on the wings. If Briscoe does play, no way should he ever shoot anything but a layup. We already lose too many possessions with his awesome free throw shooting, why waste more with him jacking up three's. UK is not too hard to guard when you only two options to score and one of them is 5'8" point guard. Actually, more laughable. Briscoe can't shoot, that is obvious. But there is more to offense than just shooting at which he excels. He can dribble, pass, set screens, etc. And defensively he can play. Willis is practically inept defensively, and his offensive repertoire consists of shooting baseline threes and making awkward passes because he knows he can't finish plays. Completely agree with bugatti and he gave a better answer to your question than I could have.
January 6, 201610 yr Maybe they only shoot that way against weaker teams than LSU? :thumb: Can't believe it took so long for someone to catch this. Particularly since it was Duece who posted it!!!
January 6, 201610 yr Actually, more laughable. Briscoe can't shoot, that is obvious. But there is more to offense than just shooting at which he excels. He can dribble, pass, set screens, etc. And defensively he can play. Willis is practically inept defensively, and his offensive repertoire consists of shooting baseline threes and making awkward passes because he knows he can't finish plays. We seemed to do just fine without him against Louisville? He plays 30.8 minutes a game and to me, with his skill set he brings to the team, that is 10-15 minutes too many. Take Willis out of the equation, I was throwing that out as another option. There has to be other lineups that can be used to negate the negatives he brings on the offensive side. This team is just not crisp offensively and I believe a lot of that is because of his inabilities. I agree his defense is good, but the guy is not good enough to be playing 30 minutes a game and his numbers for the year back that up!
January 6, 201610 yr Briscoe can play defense and rebounds well for a guard. But his offensive liabilities are too much to overcome for a balance scoring attack. He clogs up the offense and gets in everyone's way. He can't shoot, as well as several other players, and it's an easy task for opposing coaches to draw up a defensive game plan for UK. Guard Murray and Ulis and protect the rim.....and to heck with anyone else, unless maybe Willis is in the game, which isn't often. Briscoe can get to the lane for shots at times but he's automatically fouled, which turns into a turnover for him because he can't make free throws. I think Cal is going to have to make some lineup changes and who gets the minutes. Briscoe needs less minutes for sure, as does Skal. One's an offensive liability and the other brings absolutely nothing to the table. Give some of the other bigs Skal ' s minutes. He's weak and doesn't play smart or give any effort. Play others, and maybe even play some zone to try to hide players like Humphries lack of quickness. What's happening now isn't working, and all future opponents now know the exact diagram on how to stop UK's two man offense. I bet Duke would like another crack at the Cats.
January 6, 201610 yr Briscoe cannot play late in a game where UK is being fouled. Glad to see Mulder with good minutes.
January 6, 201610 yr It's time to tone down the expectations for this team and savor every win from here on out....time to enjoy the progress the players make as the season rolls on.
January 6, 201610 yr If I was an opposing coach, I'd put a jobber in off the bench to foul Briscoe in key situations. That's basically a turnover for Kentucky
January 6, 201610 yr It's time to tone down the expectations for this team and savor every win from here on out....time to enjoy the progress the players make as the season rolls on. Agreed.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.