Henry Clay vs. Covington Catholic State Finals

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a surprise matchup for the State tournament?

No. I think many believed that Trinity, Bowling Green, CovCath, Henry Clay, South Oldham, and Oldham Co. were about the only teams that had a legit chance of winning 4 games in the State Tournament. Given that two of them are in the Finals, hard to call it a surprise. CovCath hasn't lost to a team from KY all season, I don't think many would be surprised to see them still kicking.

Is the State down this year? I know the ninth lost a lot of talent. Is this a surprise matchup for the State tournament?

In my opinion I thought last year was down compared to years before and this year. I also think Cov Cath is the best NKY team since the 2011 Ryle team that made the state final. Probably better

Is the State down this year? I know the ninth lost a lot of talent. Is this a surprise matchup for the State tournament?

I think the only surprise was Fern Creek......not that they didn't deserve to be there...it is just they got the benefit of the draw. I think the real final four was the CCH/Trinity and HC/BG games.....

What about these finals makes you think the state talent level is down?

Just the fact that highlands, ryle, ncc, boone, and other 9th Region teams are not as good as previous years but still challenged CovCath to get out of the region... And now that CovCath team is beating a state semi-finalist 5-0.

I feel last years 9th Region teams (CovCath included) were more talented and skilled than this years teams. IMO.

I'm not sure if talent is down. There is still a lot of good talent in the state. But the level of play from teams is definitely down. And it will take another hit next year. I think this may be has to do with more talent spread out across schools as opposed to many of the top players in certain areas going to one or two schools. Henry Clay for example will be the last school in central KY for awhile to have the top talent in one class at one school. In the past it has been Dunbar, but looking forward it is really spread out. Makes things more even and more exciting, but it does mean the level of play is not quite what it has been.

And now that CovCath team is beating a state semi-finalist 5-0.

Fern Creek got a good draw that positioned them to get to the final four. Not saying they were not a good team but 3 of the teams in the final four stayed in the top 5 of Maher pretty much all year.

The teams this year are just as talented as teams previous.

Just the fact that highlands, ryle, ncc, boone, and other 9th Region teams are not as good as previous years but still challenged CovCath to get out of the region... And now that CovCath team is beating a state semi-finalist 5-0.

I feel last years 9th Region teams (CovCath included) were more talented and skilled than this years teams. IMO.

How good is Trinity this year?

In comparing the teams to CCH to see if they are "down", don't you have to ask yourself first where CCH lies? I would remove FC from the conversation due to the draw, and their coach kind of said the same thing about them.....no disrespect meant to FC.....but if CCH is more talented than teams in the past top to bottom, (as someone mentioned in comparison to the 2011 Ryle team) and the other teams are giving them competition, doesn't it mean that talent is up?

Perhaps what has happened is that the regions have switched in terms of top talent.