Henry Clay vs. Covington Catholic State Finals

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, last years CCH team would beat this years CCH team. Last year's HHS beats this years HHS team. Last year's NCC team beats this years NCC team. I just feel the overall talent is down this year.

For CCH, neither team would concede, but there would be a "should have been score" for each.

For HHS, if they played early in the season they'd both lose.

For NCC, the outcome would be uncertain, but they'd both be able to run a 10K afterwards.

But seriously, some up, some down... all lots of fun to watch.

IMO, last years CCH team would beat this years CCH team. Last year's HHS beats this years HHS team. Last year's NCC team beats this years NCC team. I just feel the overall talent is down this year.

Disagree with your CCH assessment. This year's team is better, way better balanced, better defensively, maybe equal in attackers but not the team attack. And I have mentioned this on another thread, the one thing over looked by many is how effective the CCH backs are in supporting and actually being dangerous attacking their opponents defensive third of the field. Much of CCH success this season is directly related to this added element. HS teams struggle to defend this aspect, they do not have the tactical awareness to do so.

Agree with HHS.

This years NCC would never have scheduled last year's NCC team, they were a decent team.

And i think Ryle's team is the best they've had since they were in the finals. Speaking for our district in region 9 (if I may), this is the best I've seen it. Conner, Cooper, and Ryle all had good seasons. Boone was down a little in comparison to previous years. Our district pretty much used to be Ryle or Boone but this year 3 teams had a legitimate shot and Boone was an outside shot but could have pulled it off.

Cov Cath had a phenomenal season so far and can be the state champ. They are more balanced than Scott last year and I think are a better team and harder to beat than Scott was last year. I don't know about the Lexington or Louisville teams but I'd say the quality of play in NKY is just as solid as it has been in the 4 years I've been around high school soccer.

My personal opinion:

2014 Dunbar > 2015 Henry Clay

2014 Henry Clay > 2015 Henry Clay

2014 Tates Creek > 2015 Henry Clay

2014 Bowling Green > 2015 Bowling Green

2014 South Oldham > 2015 South Oldham

2014 Trinity > 2015 Trinity

There are always exceptions. Madison Central this year was much better than in 2014. Mercer County was better this year than in 2014. Both teams gave Henry Clay tough games but I would argue neither were at the level of the top teams in 2014. I do think many of the "non-powers" were much better in 2015 than in 2014 so depth may have increased but the level just decreased at the top. And I do think CovCath this year is better than Scott last year, so maybe NKY is different.

Looking forward most of the teams I mentioned above will take another hit next year. There is just not equal top talent coming up through these teams right now to replace what leaves, or it is just more spread out.

2014 CCH was better than 2014 Scott.......proved it on the field.

2014 Scott made the better run though.....

As for 2014 CCH vs 2015 CCH.....15 s defense is much better, allowing MW to play midfield....if that would have happened in 14 and Wessels would have joined Day, Kenney, Lilly and Schuh, with Litzler and Ballow up top......it would have been tough to beat....

.....but "could ofs and would ofs" don't count

As for 2014 CCH vs 2015 CCH.....15 s defense is much better, allowing MW to play midfield....if that would have happened in 14 and Wessels would have joined Day, Kenney, Lilly and Schuh, with Litzler and Ballow up top......it would have been tough to beat....

.....but "could ofs and would ofs" don't count

"You've got your wouldas, couldas, and shouldas, and most of your shouldas are bull-shouldas." - attributed to Ditka

Yep......from someone who was in their position in 1983 and fell short by a PK, give it your all, for every step that you take on the field.....full speed, full effort, and leave it all out there........at this point, both teams are equal.....who wants it more?

Nothing else matters except 80 minutes on Saturday.....practice today and come into tomorrow's game with that attitude and take it.

Good luck to both teams, but just a hair better luck to the Colonels.......

This goes with my belief that the KHSAA soccer tournament doesn't always necessarily crown the best overall team, similar to the NCAA basketball tournament. A lot of times it is about match ups, who is hot, and the path to the final four. I do believe that both CovCath and Henry Clay are two of the best teams in the state this year, but I am not convinced either is the definitive "best team" no matter what happens tomorrow. Too much parity. If we started the postseason again on Monday it would probably turn out differently.

I will say it is interesting that we have gone two years in a row without a powerhouse Louisville team making the final four. Fern Creek, as noted, had a fortunate path to be there and may not even be in the top 10 of Louisville schools.

I have never quite bought into the "who wants it more?" I ask myself, does one team, one group of seniors on the field for a State Final Championship match truly want to win a State Championship more than the other? I guess it's possible but I don't buy it.

I believe the game comes down to match ups, (Trinity did not match up well with CCH) coaching in preparing specifically for that game, coaching such as tactical changes throughout the game and how and when subs are used and the factor that is completely impossible to predict and understand, luck.

This goes with my belief that the KHSAA soccer tournament doesn't always necessarily crown the best overall team, similar to the NCAA basketball tournament. A lot of times it is about match ups, who is hot, and the path to the final four. I do believe that both CovCath and Henry Clay are two of the best teams in the state this year, but I am not convinced either is the definitive "best team" no matter what happens tomorrow. Too much parity. If we started the postseason again on Monday it would probably turn out differently.

I will say it is interesting that we have gone two years in a row without a powerhouse Louisville team making the final four. Fern Creek, as noted, had a fortunate path to be there and may not even be in the top 10 of Louisville schools.

With the exception of a NBA, MLB,(no doubt KC was the best team this season) NHL, leagues that have best of 5 games, best of 7 games rounds on the way to crowning a champion, (and even in this format match ups, who's hot at the right time, etc, have a factor on the outcome) do you ever know if the "best team" won.

One thing is certain, who ever wins tomorrow between CCH and Henry Clay, they alone will legitimately be able to say they are the best team in KY in 2015.

Using this logic I guess you could say Scott proved they are on the same level as Cov Cath this year having tied beat Highlands 1-0 and then CCH beating highlands 1-0 and then going into PKs? My only problem with your statement is that I disagree with you saying CCH was better than Scott last year. Scott beat Trinity last year in the elite 8. Scott was not the better team. They found away to win, but they were not the better team. The assumption that CCH 2015 is better than the 2014 Scott team is wrong too. Atleast when you compare the offensive side. No team will compare to the combination of Morgan, Treadway and Schnieder. CCH had 36 goals against Fern Creek and only scored 5? Treadway, Morgan and Schnieder would have put more of those in.