Henry Clay vs. Covington Catholic State Finals

Using this logic I guess you could say Scott proved they are on the same level as Cov Cath this year having tied beat Highlands 1-0 and then CCH beating highlands 1-0 and then going into PKs? My only problem with your statement is that I disagree with you saying CCH was better than Scott last year. Scott beat Trinity last year in the elite 8. Scott was not the better team. They found away to win, but they were not the better team. The assumption that CCH 2015 is better than the 2014 Scott team is wrong too. Atleast when you compare the offensive side. No team will compare to the combination of Morgan, Treadway and Schnieder. CCH had 36 goals against Fern Creek and only scored 5? Treadway, Morgan and Schnieder would have put more of those in.

***36 shots not goals. Hard to type on this tiny screen.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using this logic I guess you could say Scott proved they are on the same level as Cov Cath this year having tied beat Highlands 1-0 and then CCH beating highlands 1-0 and then going into PKs? My only problem with your statement is that I disagree with you saying CCH was better than Scott last year. Scott beat Trinity last year in the elite 8. Scott was not the better team. They found away to win, but they were not the better team. The assumption that CCH 2015 is better than the 2014 Scott team is wrong too. Atleast when you compare the offensive side. No team will compare to the combination of Morgan, Treadway and Schnieder. CCH had 36 goals against Fern Creek and only scored 5? Treadway, Morgan and Schnieder would have put more of those in.

too much presumption in this.

Re: on wanting it more... I guess I tend to agree that this is not really a deciding factor. I know coaches say it to get the team up for the game but the things already mentioned in post #27 @gameplayedright are what makes the difference. See Mark Cuban address this with Skip Bayless concerning NBA game.

This goes with my belief that the KHSAA soccer tournament doesn't always necessarily crown the best overall team, similar to the NCAA basketball tournament. A lot of times it is about match ups, who is hot, and the path to the final four. I do believe that both CovCath and Henry Clay are two of the best teams in the state this year, but I am not convinced either is the definitive "best team" no matter what happens tomorrow. Too much parity. If we started the postseason again on Monday it would probably turn out differently.

I will say it is interesting that we have gone two years in a row without a powerhouse Louisville team making the final four. Fern Creek, as noted, had a fortunate path to be there and may not even be in the top 10 of Louisville schools.

This is true of most championship games. It's the nature of sport. Best of series come close to helping with this but even then you have a team win 4 out of 7. If the two played another series the other team could easily come out on top.

However, the team that wins the championship game is the best team in the state because it is based on the reality of completing the established process on top. All other scenarios are merely fantasy. I hate fantasy leagues.

I think this year Cov Cath is twice as good as last years Scott team. I can almost guarantee you Cov Cath won't give up 6 goals in a championship game. Having 3 good players up top doesn't make you a good team. Having a well rounded team makes you good. That Scott team was so undisciplined in the back that it was a joke.

OTB.... any truth to the rumor that you are hosting a mini-BGP gathering in the PLD parking lot this afternoon?

Bru burger bar. 3010 lakecrest circle. Lexington. Expect a nice place. Good food and slow service with an attitude, but we went there before last game so tradition.

Worth noting that my son is wearing the same sweat pants, under shirt, and t shirt as the Ryle game, the MoCo game, and the Fern Creek game.

Clyde, we stopped at the same Cracker Barrel as the MoCo game, and had the same server.

This all HAS to matter. Right?

I think a better predictor of the outcome is if YC gets a satisfying pre-game meal. If OTB picks up the tab, Cov Cath is a sure winner.