Tribute to American Pharoah

doomer

Probability will say that most of us will not see another horse this good come along in our lifetime. Those of us around when Secretariat raced can attest to the wait.

I found this nice article, but the paragraph below illustrates how good this colt really is for those who might enjoy:

Even while in the midst of his Triple Crown triumph, there were knocks…Sure, he was winning, but who was he beating? His speed figures and final times in the Derby and Preakness were not among the sport’s elite…Those knocks were of course muted in the Belmont Stakes, Haskell and again in the Breeders’ Cup where he produced an eye popping 120 Beyer speed figure for his 2:00.7 frolic, the highest number produced at a mile or more in North America this year, and an almost unheard of figure for a 3-year-old.

So How Great Is American Pharoah? - Horse Collaborative

I wonder how Pharoah would match up with Secreatariat in a hypothetical race? My guess is Secreatariat would win. I may be wrong but I believe Secreatariat holds all 3 track records for the Triple Crown.[/QUOTE]

He does and by a good bit. American Pharoah is among the greats...IMO, Secretariat was THE greatest of all time. His 2:24 flat in the Belmont to quote Chick Anderson who made the race call "is a record that may stand forever". Secretariat was a physical freak... he had the conformation and shoulder and leg foundation of a speed horse with a closed front shoulder which allowed for a longer stride length, along with the long trunk and abnormally large heart that would benefit a distance horse. Additionally he and AP compare very favorably as intelligent and willing horses which made them both very adaptable to travel and varying track conditions which is not a normal attribute of horses.

I really wish AP and Wise Dan could've gone head to head

There really was no common distance/surface where they would compete against each other but it would be something to see if there were!

I agree that Secretariat would beat AP but I don't think it would be by a lot but who knows? You're talking very possibly the GOAT against one of the greatest in the last 40 years.

I really wish AP and Wise Dan could've gone head to head

There really was no common distance/surface where they would compete against each other but it would be something to see if there were!

Agreed. We don't have much in the way of good comparison given Wise Dan ran on turf almost his entire career.

Prior to American Pharoah, the greatest horse of my life was Cigar. Now THAT'S a showdown I'd pay good money for. Even then, Pharaoh isn't running past his three year old season while Cigar didn't even get going until his fifth year.

ESPN reported that American Pharoah's 2016 fee at Coolmore's Ashford Stud in Versailles, KY will be $200,000.

The current high-water mark for North American stud fees is Tapit at $300,000.

The stud fee for American Pharoah's father, Pioneerof the Nile, recently increased from $60,000 to $125,000.

Good info. I think you mean Tapit?

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Correcting "Tapid" to "Tapit"

ESPN reported that American Pharoah's 2016 fee at Coolmore's Ashford Stud in Versailles, KY will be $200,000.

The current high-water mark for North American stud fees is Tapid at $300,000.

The stud fee for American Pharoah's father, Pioneerof the Nile, recently increased from $60,000 to $125,000.

Seems to be more than what people had planned. I thought I read it would be around $100k to $125k.

• 3 months later...