Mercer starts 7 on 7

Looks like Mercer will have the talent to do more than just 3 yards and a cloud of dust on offense. I wonder if they will try to diversify the offense a bit to utilize all the skill players.

They had more talent then that last year too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seen them at Woodford county. Coach jaggers may want to learn to count because he played 8 on defense and still got beat.

If all of Mercer's seniors and juniors had been there when Mercer was competing against Frankfort, the outcome would have definitely been different. The majority of the experienced receivers and experienced defensive backs were taking their ACT tests and did not arrive until after that game was over.

As I do recall, Mercer was in the final 4 of the day. Was Frankfort?

I seen them at Woodford county. Coach jaggers may want to learn to count because he played 8 on defense and still got beat.

Passing league really holds alot of water.:rolleyes: I would think that Mercerburg would beat Frankfort rather easily in a "REAL" game.:thumb:

Passing league really holds alot of water.:rolleyes: I would think that Mercerburg would beat Frankfort rather easily in a "REAL" game.:thumb:

Never said anything about Frankfort beating Mercer. I can assure you Frankfort puts very little into passing leagues. If you have watched them you know they run the ball 99% of the time.

The only thing I was pointing out is the played 8 men on defense. What a good advantage to have 8 mean covering 5.

:thumb:

When you count to 4, 10 men can't cover 5 unless you play man under 2 deep which they don't. Some teams will drop 8 against spread teams with no backs especially when they can't stunt.You can also line up with 8 and have 1 guy take a knee in these passing leagues which is probably what they did because the guy who takes a knee is probably rushing the QB.

When you count to 4, 10 men can't cover 5 unless you play man under 2 deep which they don't. Some teams will drop 8 against spread teams with no backs especially when they can't stunt.You can also line up with 8 and have 1 guy take a knee in these passing leagues which is probably what they did because the guy who takes a knee is probably rushing the QB.

This is a very true statement. Teams that play a "50" defense will drop 8. I guess that they should use some other defense for these "passing games".

Sounds like you're in trouble against anyone with a semblance of an O-line.

..in a real game situation, the quarterback isnt going to have 4 seconds to just sit back in the pocket everyplay, if they do, then their offensive line will be more than just a "semblance" of one, buddy!

Think about it for a second, any quarterback, who has 4 seconds to sit in the pocket, who has any 'semblance' of an arm can complete a pass to any receiver has any 'semblance' of legs to get open, and hands to catch it...unless, the defense is playing man under, 2 deep, which, again, in passing leagues, they dont.

..in a real game situation, the quarterback isnt going to have 4 seconds to just sit back in the pocket everyplay, if they do, then their offensive line will be more than just a "semblance" of one, buddy!

Again, very good post!! Passing leagues are overrated. People get on here and talk about how good someone is going to be because they won some passing tourney, and then they go out and win 2/3 games. The "real football" game still comes down to who can run and who can stop the run.

Again, very good post!! Passing leagues are overrated. People get on here and talk about how good someone is going to be because they won some passing tourney, and then they go out and win 2/3 games. The "real football" game still comes down to who can run and who can stop the run.

Exactly!!

For state championship purposes. As far as season play goes, if it doesn't rain, passing leagues can help determine some outcomes. I know it will help teams like Trinity this year with Coverdale coming back as offensive coordinator.

It still comes down to situations and personnel. In a real game, if people are dropping 7 or 8 consistently into coverage, any good coach is going to run the ball unless he's down late in the game. If he can't run against that defense, he's not going to win many games anyway.

Mercer will be a good team this year, but don't put too much stock into passing leagues. They are good for the purpose they serve -- to run your passing plays against a live defense. Receivers practice running sharp routes, you get timing between your QB and WR, and both work on recognizing coverages and decision-making.