NKY Power Rankings 10-05-15 Sponsored by Orange Leaf Crescent Springs

Thanks to Orange Leaf Crescent Springs for sponsoring the Northern Kentucky Power Rankings. We encourage everyone to patronize our sponsors, and you can visit them at 2311 Buttermilk Crossing in Crescent Springs. Feel free to bring along this premium coupon when you visit!

attachment.php?attachmentid=52448&d=1443461585

THE RANKINGS:

10) Lloyd Memorial (2A / 4-2) – The Juggernauts hosted 6A Conner this Friday, and lost in a nasty, cold, and rainy game after a 4th quarter touchdown pass by the Cougars. Both teams struggled for yardage all night, and despite two impressive goal line stands by the Lloyd, the Cougars were eventually able to find the endzone with 3:00 remaining in the game. Lloyd travels to Newport on Friday to take on the 2A Wildcats in district competition.

9) Newport Central Catholic (2A / 2-4) – No action this week. The Thoroughbreds take on the 2A Holy Cross Indians this Friday in their first district game of the season.

8) Conner (6A / 5-1) – Conner added another win to their schedule, beating the 2A Lloyd Juggernauts 6-0 in Erlanger on Friday. However, the Cougar offense struggled – particularly in the red – as evidenced by the Juggernauts’ defense successfully making two goal line stands. The weather was against both teams, and the game was scoreless until Conner scored on a tipped pass with 3 minutes left in regulation. The Cougars take on the winless 6A Campbell County Camels on Thursday.

7) Scott (4A / 6-1) – Scott handed out a second beat-down in a row, this time beating the 4A Harrison County Thorobreds in a 43-0 shutout in Taylor Mill. The Eagles had 415 yards total offense, and had a running clock less than half way through the second quarter. The Eagles improved to 6-1, and will be taking on the 4A Bourbon County Colonels at home next Friday after their bye week. Bourbon County is 3-3.

6) Beechwood (1A / 5-1) – Beechwood’s win on Friday came as no surprise, but Tigers’ 49 points in the first quarter were quite a feat, as Beechwood routed the 2A Newport Wildcats 69-24. The Tigers were playing with mostly backups for 3 quarters of the game as they rolled on to coach Noel Rash his 100th win as Beechwood’s skipper. Beechwood certainly appears to be the undisputed top of the small school programs around Northern Kentucky this year, and holds on to the #6 spot in the power rankings. The Tigers have Bellevue this Friday in a district matchup at Bellevue’s Gilligan Stadium.

5) Highlands (5A / 1-5) – No action this week. The Bluebirds take on the 5A Dixie Heights Colonels this week in Edgewood for their first district matchup of the season.

4) Covington Catholic (5A / 1-5) – No action this week. Cov Cath will have their first district matchup on Saturday when they host the 5A Grant County Braves at Wooten Stadium.

3) Cooper (6A / 5-2) – Cooper had their turn against a struggling 5A Dixie Heights team on Friday, and sent the Colonels home from Union with a 35-7 loss. Much like Ryle, however, the Jaguars had a surprisingly rough first half, only scoring once against Dixie in each the first and second quarters. Inclement weather aside, it was surprising to many to see the halftime score, with Cooper only leading 14-7. The Jags were able to add on 3 more touchdowns in the second half, but I have to say I was surprised to see the team who beat 5A Highlands 37-13 only come away from the Dixie game with a 35-7 victory. Cooper still holds on to the #3 spot in Northern Kentucky, and will have their big matchup against district rival Ryle this week to determine which team is king of Union, KY.

2) Ryle (6A / 6-0) – The Raiders took on the winless 6A George Rogers Clark Cardinals, and handed them their 6th loss of the season, beating them 49-10. Interestingly enough, GRC was the first team to score, with a 25 yard first quarter field goal. Ryle answered with a field goal of their own, but was still only winning 10-3 at the half. However, the Raiders obviously put their game back together at halftime, coming out with a monumental 32 point third quarter. A surprising performance all in all by Ryle, but the Raiders hold on to the #2 spot in Northern Kentucky. Ryle hosts 6A Cooper this week, and the game will definitively tell us which team deserves higher billing in the NKY Power Rankings.

1) Simon Kenton (6A / 6-0) – No action this week. Still sitting tight in the #1 spot. The Pioneers take on the 6A Boone County Rebels at Boone County’s Owen Hauck Stadium on Friday in their first district game of the year.

Game Of The Week:

Cooper (6A) vs. Ryle (6A)

The crosstown rivals have been running a very close competition for the second and third spots in Northern Kentucky for most of the regular season, and we’ll finally get to see which team is the best on Friday when the Jags host the Raiders.

Trending Up:

4A Scott – The Eagles move up to the #7 spot in the NKY Power Rankings after blanking the 4A Harrison County Thorobreds 43-0 on Friday. The pull ahead of 6A Conner, who beat the Eagles three weeks ago. Scott has a bye this week before hosting 4A Bourbon County next Friday.

2A Walton-Verona – The Bearcats pulled of their 3rd straight win, beating the 2A Owen County Rebels 27-6 on Friday. That’s a shot in the arm for Walton-Verona, who started out the season 0-4. They play the 2A Gallatin County Wildcats on the road this week.

Trending Down:

6A Conner – Even with a win this week, the Cougars still drop one spot in the NKY Power Rankings after only managing a single touchdown against the 2A Juggernauts this past Friday in a very sloppy game. The Cougars take on 6A Campbell County this week as they prepare for district competition beginning next week.

2A Newport – Second week in a row on the list for the Wildcats after bleeding out 49 first quarter points at the hands of 1A Beechwood this past Friday in a 69-24 dismantling by the Tigers. Newport takes on 2A Lloyd Memorial this week.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

Bishop Brossart (1A) vs. Ludlow (1A)

The Panthers pulled out to an early 13-0 lead over the Mustangs, but Bishop Brossart fought back, bringing the score to 13-12 at the half. After scoring on first and goal following a late 3rd quarter Ludlow fumble on their own 7 yard line, the 'Stangs took home the victory and held on to their undefeated record. Congratulations to Bishop Brossart on the win!

Great job overall with the rankings. However, I am curious as to why Highlands is top 5? I could easily understand top 10 because of their strength of schedule, but it starting to look like the Bluebirds are sitting at five solely due to the power of their past (seasons) performances and name recognition. IMO any of the teams 6-10 COULD give the 2015 Birds a loss in head to head competition.

Agree with the top 10, but in this order:

1) Ryle- Eyeball test, the best team in NKY.

2) SK- Ryle vs. SK for all the marbles

3) Cov. Cath.- MONSTER Sch. we'll see if it pays off

4) Cooper- Think all 3 teams in front of them would beat them

5) Beechwood- Top 5

6) Highlands- HUGE game this week

7) Cooner- Smoke and Mirrors

8) Scott- Lost to Conner

9) NCC- Lost to Scott

10) Lloyd- Somebody has to be 10th, lost to Conner

:dancingpa

^ Good point ... Conner beat Scott. Those two should be flip flopped in the rankings.

The Dixie / Highlands game could have an impact on next weeks rankings. If Highlands doesn't show well in that one, I move Beechwood ahead of Highlands. Beechwood had no problems at all with Dixie in a pre-season scrimmage. I know it is just a scrimmage but it was played week zero, when many teams are playing their first games, and it was played under real game rules.

^ Good point ... Conner beat Scott. Those two should be flip flopped in the rankings.

The Dixie / Highlands game could have an impact on next weeks rankings. If Highlands doesn't show well in that one, I move Beechwood ahead of Highlands. Beechwood had no problems at all with Dixie in a pre-season scrimmage. I know it is just a scrimmage but it was played week zero, when many teams are playing their first games, and it was played under real game rules.

Scott also handled Dixie in the regular season game . If Highlands was fo fall this week , I would have to say Highlands would fall many spaces.

Scott also handled Dixie in the regular season game . If Highlands was fo fall this week , I would have to say Highlands would fall many spaces.

What cupcake does Scott play this week? The reason Scott gets no love, is it's very weak sch. SK will beat Scott by 40. :popcorn:

My reasoning for putting Scott ahead of Conner this week is because of Conner's performances against Dixie and Lloyd. Conner only beat Scott by one point back on September 11th (a failed two point conversion), and then only managed a 13-12 victory over Dixie the next week. Scott had previously beaten Dixie 36-7. Then Conner only managed to score once in a very sloppy 6-0 win over Lloyd this past Friday. That's suggesting to me that Conner isn't improving week to week as they want to be at this point in the season. It may just be me, but I think if we were to see a rematch of Scott and Conner this week, Scott would come away with the win.

What cupcake does Scott play this week? The reason Scott gets no love, is it's very weak sch. SK will beat Scott by 40. :popcorn:

...and Simon Kenton beat Conner by 54, so by that comparison, you could argue that Scott should be ahead of Conner in the rankings despite having lost to Conner 3 weeks ago.

1) Ryle- Eyeball test, the best team in NKY.

2) SK- Ryle vs. SK for all the marbles

Simon Kenton has rolled over every one of their opponents, and isn't showing any signs of struggle on offense, averaging 44.8 offensive points per game. Ryle's offense is averaging 44.5 points per game, but showed a bit of difficulty getting it done in the red zone their first two games, along with a surprisingly shaky first half last week against a bad GRC team. I definitely wasn't expecting to see them going into the locker room at halftime on Friday only leading GRC 10-3. Ryle undoubtedly put their game together for the second half.

Long story short, when I look at Ryle I see a really good team that occasionally stumbles on its way to solid victories, and when I look at Simon Kenton, I see a team that is performing at peak for four quarters of every game. I'm as interested in the Ryle/Simon Kenton game on the 23rd as anyone is, but as things stand right now with both teams, I'm seeing the Pioneers winning in that matchup.

My reasoning for putting Scott ahead of Conner this week is because of Conner's performances against Dixie and Lloyd. Conner only beat Scott by one point back on September 11th (a failed two point conversion), and then only managed a 13-12 victory over Dixie the next week. Scott had previously beaten Dixie 36-7. Then Conner only managed to score once in a very sloppy 6-0 win over Lloyd this past Friday. That's suggesting to me that Conner isn't improving week to week as they want to be at this point in the season. It may just be me, but I think if we were to see a rematch of Scott and Conner this week, Scott would come away with the win.

100% disagree.