Drug goes from $13.50 to $750 overnight

SportsGuy41017

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The former hedge fund manager whose pharmaceutical company has come under withering attack for allegations of egregious price-gouging on life-saving medication is the subject of a $65 million lawsuit by his former employer for alleged stock manipulation—and it turns out he once tried a similar price hike scheme with that company. During Martin Shkreli's tenure as CEO of Retrophin—the company that is now suing him—the company increased prices on a decades-old kidney medication by about 20 times its original cost, a move similar to the controversial price increase by his new company reported by the New York Times on Sunday.

When Shkreli was CEO of Retrophin, the company purchased a kidney medication approved by the FDA in 1988 called Thiola and increased the cost from $1.50 per pill to $30 per pill.* That drug treated cystinuria, a lifelong disease for which there is no known cure and which afflicts about 20,000 patients in the United States. Forbes health care contributor Steve Brozak described the disease last year when news of the price increase broke:

Martin Shkreli price gouging: The hedge fund bro pulled drug price hike scheme in his last job, is being sued for $65 million

Even liberals now finally see Obama Care as not meeting its goal of stopping high cost.

Intentional or not, you gave me a good chuckle. Better watch out! obamacare gonna get ya!

Seriously, all jokes aside, I just checked the paper and there were a number of obituaries in there. So now that we have obamacare, why are people still dying? Well, I mean other than the ones that die as a result of the obamacare death squads that we were promised.

• 4 weeks later...