Lloyd 27 Holmes 6

DRKARK

I was at the game. The Juggs were sloppy again with penalties. It will cost them against better competition. The Holmes numbers are really down. It looks like they dress 25ish, makes it tough.

I agree totally, but many of the kids dont want to play for Coach Nevels. This has been heard about for awhile and until Holmes can bring in someone that can draw kids to the program numbers will continue to drop. He is a great guy and I truly believe that he has the ability to coach but he is not a fan favorite and that is no secret.

I agree totally, but many of the kids dont want to play for Coach Nevels. This has been heard about for awhile and until Holmes can bring in someone that can draw kids to the program numbers will continue to drop. He is a great guy and I truly believe that he has the ability to coach but he is not a fan favorite and that is no secret.

WHY?

I honestly feel bad for Coach Nevels. Like you said, really great guy and I agree that he has the ability to coach but at the end of the day sometimes certain coaching styles aren't a good fit for a program like Holmes.

I will say this though....if you truly want to play the game, you put personal agendas aside. IMO, not liking a coach is simply a weak excuse for not playing.

I told my cousin the same thing when he told me he wasn't playing at Ryle his junior year because he didn't like Bryson Warner.

Juggs did struggle with penalties but play calling did improve from the past weeks. I was not impressed with Holmes and very shocked by the way the Bulldogs came out. Getting away from the game a little bit to say my piece on Coach Nevels. Ben is a very intense person and expects kids to want to be there and match his enthusiasm. I don't see that as a problem but can be hard at times. He does not put up with "bs" and has a low tolerance for stupidity. IMO he is the type of personality that is needed in certain programs because he provides a strict structure. I would like to hear from someone with the facts of things that have transpired.

I honestly feel bad for Coach Nevels. Like you said, really great guy and I agree that he has the ability to coach but at the end of the day sometimes certain coaching styles aren't a good fit for a program like Holmes.

I will say this though....if you truly want to play the game, you put personal agendas aside. IMO, not liking a coach is simply a weak excuse for not playing.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but this day and age kids just dont have the mental toughness to endure. Plus many kids today are not taught to over come differences and just play. It's that since of entitlement that has ruined many kids in this era.

Silly talk regarding Coach Nevels.

A few years ago they had a coach in Terry Liggin who totally neglected middle school through JV programs. The numbers from that group are working themselves out. Last year they only had a couple of seniors.

This year they have a decent core of seniors who are very tough minded kids. They have been in every game this year and could have been undefeated going into tonight. They play clean and very hard and that is a reflection on Coach Nevels and staff. They may not have great numbers but they get after it.

The numbers game can be attributed to the transient population of the student body. There are roughly 400 boys in the school and a good chunk over the course of 2-3 years aren't there anymore.

When you have a limited group to choose from in numbers you need kids that play multiple sports. Unfortunately, there are not many who play more than one sport.

They have zero feeder programs other than what they get from their middle school. There is no direct line from the peewee leagues.

I have heard the staff has done clinics at the elementary level, trying to establish flag football leagues and such.

Once they get a turf field, and develop from middle school up, I think you will see the numbers go up.

Agreed, and I dont believe that anyone is or has said anything wrong against Coach Nevels on this thread, but there are more than enough student just walking the halls at Holmes that dont want to play for him. It's the nature of the beast with todays kids. When you are misguided you will most likely lack direction. And I'm sorry but truth be told that requires the will power to play not make excuses because of whether or not you like the coach. So lets not kid ourselves this is not just at Holmes its at every school.

Kids that come from challenged backgrounds need structure and crave structure. Is it wrong to expect kids to show up to practice everyday?

No its not wrong. But is it right to punish those that do show up because of so called leaders on the team that chose to not come.

I'm glad we got that cleared up by LeeCorso I want to thank you for that informative post.

Back to the game recap. I was informed a few players did not start for the Juggs due to classroom issues and a few injuries. I will not be mentioning which ones are which but that was a little disruption from the what would have been the normal game plan. Both teams came out flat it just seemed that Lloyd was a tab bit less flat, but none the less sloppy. Offensive play calling I mentioned was a bit different and I'll chalk that up to having Runion under center. None the less it was affective. As for the Defensive and Special Teams there still seems to be a lot of confusion on assignments and personnel. I brought this before last week and that is going to really come back to bite the Juggs having to burn valuable TOs to get players on the field. My last major take away from this game is the lack of OL/DL technique. These boys just look flat footed and stand straight up. Anyone could see there was an absolutely giant size advantage for Lloyd when it came to position that require you to put your hand in the dirt. But after watching several series the lines were equally matched which blows my mind! There was just as much pressure put on Lloyd's QBs and RBs in the backfield as was on Holmes. IMO, there is an extreme lack of coaching at the line positions.