2015-2016 Trinity

Elk H

I think this team will shock a lot of people. They're tough. They play hard. They play great D.

I don't think they'll shock anyone. Their basketball program is well known and respected in this state. At this point I think a shock would be that they aren't one of the top teams in the region.

I don't think they'll shock anyone. Their basketball program is well known and respected in this state. At this point I think a shock would be that they aren't one of the top teams in the region.

I'm speaking in regards to them not having the star studded lineup of years past. I believe last year they had at least 3 D1 signees and a Bellarmine signee (might as well be D1) before the season even started.

I'm speaking in regards to them not having the star studded lineup of years past. I believe last year they had at least 3 D1 signees and a Bellarmine signee (might as well be D1) before the season even started.

Gotcha. Lack of stars may end up being a better thing. The parts of the machine may work a lot smoother as a result.

I am not sure what to expect from the Rocks this year. Nobody who played many appreciable minutes will be back. I also am not sure they have much size among the returning players, although I don't know if they received any transfers who will play. Perhaps the players will mix better as a team than last year's very talented team. I wish them well, but am not yet convinced how good they will be.

I am never surprised when Trinity is one of the best in their region and in being so one of the best in the state. Coach Szabo seems to thrive with teams like this that aren't as star studded in my opinion. He is one of the top coaches in Ky which is also only my opinion.

I think he does more with less....essentially he takes kids that may not be super talented and makes them better as a team than individually. However, the same may be opposite when he has super talented kids that seem to do less than what would be expected. Case in point Raymond last year. By many accounts the kid could be in the NBA in four years, but I am not sure he really shined in his final year of high school as one would expect. I really think the system trumps the talent at Trinity and there is nothing wrong with that as he obviously is in play to win the region year after year.

I have much respect for Trinity - kids who play there are taught to work hard and get a quality education. However, I am not as convinced about what the evidence shows as to how Trinity does with a lot of talent v. not as much talent.

In the ten seasons from 2001-02 through 2010-11, when Trinity had less talent than in the recent years, Trinity won one regional title (2003-04). In the five years prior to the 2011-12 season, Trinity made it to the regional tournament 3 times and won only one regional tournament game (Trinity 47 Moore 45 in the 2008-09 7th Region first round).

Trinity won the state tournament in 2011-12. On that team was Mr. Basketball Nathan Deudonne along with several other quality players such as Charles Foster and Darryl Hicks, plus another outstanding athlete in James Quick.

In the three years since, when Trinity had Raymond Spalding plus several other D1, D2 and D3 players, Trinity has won the regional tournament once (2013-14).

Thus, to the extent Trinity has been successful, it largely has been when they have had more talent. And that is not a criticism. That generally is how things turn out.

I have much respect for Trinity - kids who play there are taught to work hard and get a quality education. However, I am not as convinced about what the evidence shows as to how Trinity does with a lot of talent v. not as much talent.

In the ten seasons from 2001-02 through 2010-11, when Trinity had less talent than in the recent years, Trinity won one regional title (2003-04). In the five years prior to the 2011-12 season, Trinity made it to the regional tournament 3 times and won only one regional tournament game (Trinity 47 Moore 45 in the 2008-09 7th Region first round).

Trinity won the state tournament in 2011-12. On that team was Mr. Basketball Nathan Deudonne along with several other quality players such as Charles Foster and Darryl Hicks, plus another outstanding athlete in James Quick.

In the three years since, when Trinity had Raymond Spalding plus several other D1, D2 and D3 players, Trinity has won the regional tournament once (2013-14).

Thus, to the extent Trinity has been successful, it largely has been when they have had more talent. And that is not a criticism. That generally is how things turn out.

Agreed. I may have accidentally got the ball rolling on that sentiment with one of my posts. I meant my post about the lack of stars on this year's team may be better more as an individual year assessment of a team and not how it affects Coach Szabo's success. Your post articulated that way better than mine.

I am not talking in absolutes, and I always agree that I would prefer to have a talented roster that is complimented by coaching versus talented coaching complimented by lesser talented players. On paper Trinity is not near as strong as last year, and there is not any Raymond Spalding coming out of the locker room door. But, it will be interesting to see how the Trinity system and solid coaching can compensate for that drop off. I do think they should be considered a darkhorse who can contend for the region title.

Unfortunately last years team never had the heart and hard-nosed effort it takes to win big games. Raymond could not handle any physical play at all from anyone much smaller that him.

I really like this years team coming up. These guys have played really well together on offense and defense. The won loss record may not be great, but they will be a team that will not quit and shy away from anyone.