Can Adair County...

gchs_uk9

Adair's possibility of going undefeated solely lies on 2 games remaining this season. Their meeting with Etown and the last regular season game against Casey County. If they win those two then YES. However, these two games will not be a push over for the Indians. May have to prove the doubters wrong but I see the Indians finishing 9-1 regular season, losing one of the two games mentioned above.

Adair County's schedule is a joke, they will lose to Elizabethtown, win the rest, then get trucked in the playoffs to the likes of Boyle County, Belfry, Lexington Catholic? Take your pick

If they are playing Boyle or Lexington Catholic they would be in the state semifinals. If they are playing Belfry they are in the championship game. For a program with such a limited history like Adair County, I think they'd be happy to play any of those three teams.

Their likely playoff opponents will be Caldwell, Tilghman, or Elizabethtown.

If they are playing Boyle or Lexington Catholic they would be in the state semifinals. If they are playing Belfry they are in the championship game. For a program with such a limited history like Adair County, I think they'd be happy to play any of those three teams.

Their likely playoff opponents will be Caldwell, Tilghman, or Elizabethtown.

Exactly. It's comical to watch so many get tore up over their schedule.

Here is what most don't realize. The bulk of their 15-16 schedule (if not all) was completed by, let's say end May of 2014 by the latest. Once the new district realignment came out, it became a rat race for all across the state. Many went ahead and signed contracts, some had gentleman agreements, etc right then.

It wasn't like Adair County made this schedule after their 9-3 season last year.

Trust me, I am not tore up. I am a believer in scheduling tougher opponents during the regular season in order to make your team better come playoff time.

I understand that is a popular thing to say, but the fact of the matter is....(which isnt a popular thing to say) that only goes so far & I'm not so sure what that "so far" actually is.

Edited by Harry Doyle

Trust me, I am not tore up. I am a believer in scheduling tougher opponents during the regular season in order to make your team better come playoff time.

And, I'm a firm believer of a place that's never had any success whatsoever to speak of, finally getting the chance to beat the same people that have taken them to the woodshed for years.

I'm for a place generating wins and creating a buzz in the community that's never been there before in all of its history as a program.

Adair won their first playoff game EVER last year. They went 9-3 and you'd had thought they were the home of the New England Patriots. It's not necessarily State Championship or bust for all programs...it's a process. GCHSUK_9 said it, but getting to the State Semis would be THEIR state championship. I'd even go onto say getting to the region finals would be. There is absolutely zero wrong with that ever, much less at a program that up until last year had never known what success on the football field was.

The only success most in that community associated with a football field was their band playing on it.

If you ever want a Friday away this fall, go to Columbia and check out a game and you'll see how much their schedule isn't really all that important right now.

You will see a fan base, a group of kids, a coach and his staff that are doing something that's never been done before in the county, and enjoying the ride right now like no other.

There is not one single person on this site more competitive than me. Just as much? Yep. More? Nope. But, I'd like to think there is something to be said for the above. I don't really get into the whole 'rah-rah', "this is what you are supposed to say and feel" coach speak (if you want to call it that). You'll have to forgive me.

Edited by Harry Doyle

And, I'm a firm believer of a place that's never had any success whatsoever to speak of, finally getting the chance to beat the same people that have taken them to the woodshed for years.

A couple good examples here locally are Boyle and Garrard, programs that had struggled in the mid- to late-1980s. They adjusted their schedules, had some success, and then really took off in the 90s. At Garrard, this was done before Jerry Perry and at Boyle it was one of the first things Chuck Smith did. After they had more sustained success they began playing much tougher schedules.

On the flip side, I've also seen teams have a modicum of success with a special class, upgrade their schedule, then get routed for two years in a row. I'm not privy to Adair County's future, but I do understand their past. And scheduling locally this cycle may still have been the best option for their program.