5th Region up for grabs?

TN had a rough year last year no doubt. The games I saw Fritz and Wygal are their best two players. Orr is coming along nicely though and has a great future. Fritz averaged 15 and 8 last year as a Junior so no way she's third best on the team. Speaking of the OT loss at Central Hardin, Fritz had 36 points and 18 rebounds in that game. You don't consistently put up those numbers and not be pretty skilled.

You do NOT have to be pretty skilled to go off on Central Hardin (at least in past years, in the 90s, the Lady Bruins were a state power).

This is Thomas Nelson's official stats from that game:

2014/15 Kentucky High School Girls Basketball

Wygal (8 points), Orr (2), Fritz (36) ALL played against Central Hardin.

Fritz had 10 (TEN) rebounds. Not 18. Wygal had 8 points and 8 rebounds. Not bad for a girl who missed the game, apparently. The fact that Wygal played (and almost had a double-double) and Fritz had a monster game BUT Central Hardin still won makes that loss even more head scratching. Mis-coached or not, having three apparently region-worthy mentionable players score 46 points against a sub-.500 team and you should win EASILY.

FWIW, Central Hardin's Melanie Humphrey had 21 points that night. Autumn Jaggers had 10. 31 combined. They finished the season averaging 9.5 (Humphrey) and 6.3 (Jaggers).

Scoring a bunch on Central Hardin means nothing. A LOT of girls did that last year.

LaRue's trio of Presley Brown (24), Mallory Williams (16), Alyson Yingling (16) combined for 56 points against Central Hardin. They finished averaging 38.5 -- but scored nearly 18 above their average against CH.

And Thomas Nelson only played TWO 5th Region teams which had winning records last year (Bardstown and Nelson County). Didn't play E'town (Boley, Cleaver, Thomas in post; Central Hardin averaged 40.2 points outside of playing E'town. Was held to 23 points or less in all three meetings), Adair (has been solid last few years), Green (Perrian in post), North (Wilson in post; CH played NH twice), John (defensively solid, but offensively challenged under Todd/Smith; CH played NH twice). Add those schools to the schedule and prolific stats go way down.

And I agree with another poster: I do NOT agree with Bolus rankings. He has several sub-500 teams with multiple players listed. Also has Haeli Howard listed way high, but All-Region and All-State teams never agree with him (regardless of who votes and who sponsors those teams).

He's got Howard 15th and Stanford 17th and I'm not sure either is going to a D-I school (and Bolus' list is supposed to be about college potential and not HS performance).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do NOT have to be pretty skilled to go off on Central Hardin (at least in past years, in the 90s, the Lady Bruins were a state power).

This is Thomas Nelson's official stats from that game:

Wygal (8 points), Orr (2), Fritz (36) ALL played against Central Hardin.

Fritz had 10 (TEN) rebounds. Not 18. Wygal had 8 points and 8 rebounds. Not bad for a girl who missed the game, apparently. The fact that Wygal played (and almost had a double-double) and Fritz had a monster game BUT Central Hardin still won makes that loss even more head scratching. Mis-coached or not, having three apparently region-worthy mentionable players score 46 points against a sub-.500 team and you should win EASILY.

FWIW, Central Hardin's Melanie Humphrey had 21 points that night. Autumn Jaggers had 10. 31 combined. They finished the season averaging 9.5 (Humphrey) and 6.3 (Jaggers).

Scoring a bunch on Central Hardin means nothing. A LOT of girls did that last year.

LaRue's trio of Presley Brown (24), Mallory Williams (16), Alyson Yingling (16) combined for 56 points against Central Hardin. They finished averaging 38.5 -- but scored nearly 18 above their average against CH.

And Thomas Nelson only played TWO 5th Region teams which had winning records last year (Bardstown and Nelson County). Didn't play E'town (Boley, Cleaver, Thomas in post; Central Hardin averaged 40.2 points outside of playing E'town. Was held to 23 points or less in all three meetings), Adair (has been solid last few years), Green (Perrian in post), North (Wilson in post; CH played NH twice), John (defensively solid, but offensively challenged under Todd/Smith; CH played NH twice). Add those schools to the schedule and prolific stats go way down.

And I agree with another poster: I do NOT agree with Bolus rankings. He has several sub-500 teams with multiple players listed. Also has Haeli Howard listed way high, but All-Region and All-State teams never agree with him (regardless of who votes and who sponsors those teams).

He's got Howard 15th and Stanford 17th and I'm not sure either is going to a D-I school (and Bolus' list is supposed to be about college potential and not HS performance).

You are correct I was misinformed on Wygal playing in that game. Was just told she played first half and coach didn't play her after halftime. Something must've happened in the locker room then? As for everything else you said I almost agree completely. Only thing is Stanford is D1 material but has a lazy mentality sometimes that will hold her from it IMO. She can flat out ball when she gets going but needs to improve her jumper. Other than that I think you are on top of it all Nathaniel! Keep on keeping us all informed.

Don't you have to go to a Bolus camp to get ranked? Aren't there probably players who have not gone to a camp of his but are better than some that have?

Going to a camp helps average players get ranked (thus why some teams who are marginal at best have 3-4 players ranked).

And he'll miss some players if they don't pay to go to his camp.

But Thomas Nelson having as many players (3) as E'town? OK.

• 4 weeks later...