Johnson Central 42 Lexington Catholic 28

15th Region

Curious to see what the JC faithful have to say about tonights game when they get home. Both these teams could end up in Bowling Green!

Hope the rest of us get home safe. That game ran well into the night.

JC had some huge plays. Our O-line is the youngest part of our team, and I hope it can only get better as the season goes on. One of JC's pass attempts hit the receiver in the hands and would have gone a big gainer had it not slipped through them (and that's one of the surest-handed kids on the team); the other was simply overthrown. Passing wasn't really necessary, and especially after the prolonged weather delay, JC had no desire to try and extend a game they were leading by slinging the ball all over the field.

LC has some great athletes. #2 is especially shifty. I would say they passed more than 60% - looked more like 70-80% to me. They tried running with Jones, but he got hit in the backfield more often than not. I think they might actually benefit from getting #1 , 2, or 3 in the backfield and doing more jet or pitch out to those guys - get the ball in the hands of your playmakers more. Brumbaugh was chased around most of the time he was in. Not sure he was hurt or just pulled, but I thought #1 3 was faster on his feet and had just as good an arm.

And while, yes, LC was one TD called back from making it interesting, they were also one JC fumble inside the LC red zone away from seeing a running clock in the 3rd quarter. Which would have make all of us in black real happy, because LC's style is well-suited to making the football game about four hours long...

It's nice to have a chance to REALLY think about having a chance to make it to the state finals for once in football.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This game was frustrating to watch the video of from an offensive perspective for LexCath. Multiple drops by receivers taking off before securing the ball, missed receivers running open behind the defense, and put the ball on the ground 3 times.

Drive killing penalties, including the block behind the play that brought back a 70 yard TD that would have made it 42-35 with 6 min to play when the guy had no chance to make the tackle.

Just frustrating to see how much help the offense gave Johnson Central's defense, especially when JC's D is good enough where they don't need any help!

This O has the personnel to be one of the best in the state but until they cut out mistakes and do the little things right, as they have not the last 2 weeks, they won't be.

This game was frustrating to watch the video of from an offensive perspective for LexCath. Multiple drops by receivers taking off before securing the ball, missed receivers running open behind the defense, and put the ball on the ground 3 times.

Drive killing penalties, including the block behind the play that brought back a 70 yard TD that would have made it 42-35 with 6 min to play when the guy had no chance to make the tackle.

Just frustrating to see how much help the offense gave Johnson Central's defense, especially when JC's D is good enough where they don't need any help!

This O has the personnel to be one of the best in the state but until they cut out mistakes and do the little things right, as they have not the last 2 weeks, they won't be.

Last week they had some drive killing 15yard penalties, a couple were dead ball personal fouls, if I remember correctly. Seems they didn't learn from those mistakes.

Did Jones and Ogbonu get the majority of the touches on offense for LC? They do have other athletes but these two are the ones that the offense needs to focus on. To me #3 Ogbonu reminds me of Ryan Timmons when he has the ball.

They threw at #3 several times. #2 seemed to be far more dangerous, at least tonight. Jones was credited with 28 yards on 10 carries by the LHL, I believe. He was replaced in the second half by #16 . Neither could get much forward momentum; JC was in the backfield more often than not.

They threw at #3 several times. #2 seemed to be far more dangerous, at least tonight. Jones was credited with 28 yards on 10 carries by the LHL, I believe. He was replaced in the second half by #16 . Neither could get much forward momentum; JC was in the backfield more often than not.

Yes, he is good but I find it odd that there seems to be several plays designed for him to get the ball and not #3 . #2 plays slot, so he is matching up against linebackers and it is a mismatch in his favor. There is no doubt he is tough, plays hard, and makes plays. I would love to have him on my team. But I feel if you put #3 at that slot position he would do better because he is just a better athlete, more explosive, and a lot more dynamic. If nothing else, have them switch positions from time to time because they both should be on the field at the same time.

Yes, he is good but I find it odd that there seems to be several plays designed for him to get the ball and not #3 . #2 plays slot, so he is matching up against linebackers and it is a mismatch in his favor. There is no doubt he is tough, plays hard, and makes plays. I would love to have him on my team. But I feel if you put #3 at that slot position he would do better because he is just a better athlete, more explosive, and a lot more dynamic. If nothing else, have them switch positions from time to time because they both should be on the field at the same time.

I really thought the same. Not getting the ball in the hands of #1 , #2 , OR #3 every play was sort of criminal. I'm sure Jones has plenty of speed too, he just never got to show it because JC about took the handoff several times. LC needs to get more creative with their running attempts. More jet or toss action, maybe even a little option. Both Brumbaugh and #1 3 looked capable of doing it, I was impressed with how they both got away from often relentless pressure. Those guys get at least silver stars from me tonight for hanging in there, even if their numbers didn't look stellar. Numbers didn't really tell the story of this game. It was a game of big momentum swings. The biggest play was the onside kick by LC that JC returned for a touchdown. That was a back-breaker.

This game should help JC gain some respect. The last few years they have gotten some heat for dominating the regular season by playing a somewhat soft schedule, with exception of the Belfry game, only to lose in the playoffs to Cov Cath or Highlands. I was wrong in my prediction on this game and am really happy about that. I love JC's physical style. Great win for their program. Congrats to them.

I really thought the same. Not getting the ball in the hands of #1 , #2 , OR #3 every play was sort of criminal. I'm sure Jones has plenty of speed too, he just never got to show it because JC about took the handoff several times. LC needs to get more creative with their running attempts. More jet or toss action, maybe even a little option. Both Brumbaugh and #1 3 looked capable of doing it, I was impressed with how they both got away from often relentless pressure. Those guys get at least silver stars from me tonight for hanging in there, even if their numbers didn't look stellar. Numbers didn't really tell the story of this game. It was a game of big momentum swings. The biggest play was the onside kick by LC that JC returned for a touchdown. That was a back-breaker.

I agree on them running a little option.

Not to totally change their style, but would be a nice little wrinkle on offense for them.

We in Johnson County are ecstatic about this win, and respect the team we played and what we did. Speaking for me, as a fan, I had questions about us too as a legit 4A contender. After tonight, I feel better that we belong. Which is a compliment to LC's program and team. If you can come to Clays Mill and win like that...you make a statement. Just like I hope people feel like coming to Mayo Trail and winning makes a statement. Total respect here. I think we got a lot from this game. I hope LC did too. Expect from Belfry basically what we did tonight. Except Horton...he's a man child on the line.