KHSAA Board of Control 1st meeting of 15-16 School Year - Owensboro Convention Center

theguru

These two items in the lower section interest me the most.

What is "bracket rotation per alignment discussion for 5A and 6A" ? How did this discussion come about? Why are they wanting proposals for all the other classes?

I would like to read the recommended Code of Ethics proposal.

To be fair to the KHSAA, this year the 6A playoffs are exactly like the other five classes (District 1 vs. 2; 3 vs. 4; etc.). I really hope they avoid any type of playoff rotation, however.

During the last realignment, I think they said they would revisit the playoff district match ups, to see if they might start rotating. 6a districts in NKY get the 5th place teams from the two Louisville districts, and it rotates as to which district that 5th place team gets assigned.

Cross Country is already classified.

Other then tradition, which is a specious argument as far as I'm concerned, why shouldn't they be classified?

I know about CC, just saying I don't think it should be.

Look at Indiana to see at why basketball shouldn't be.

I live in Ohio and they have at least 4 divisions in basketball. Nobody seems to mind at all. I will never understand 6 classes for 200 schools (football) and 1 class for 300+ schools (hoops). Say that out loud and see if it makes sense...

I know about CC, just saying I don't think it should be.

Look at Indiana to see at why basketball shouldn't be.

I don't disagree but I also don't think that you can argue for classification in some sports (and lets throw football out of the mix for a minute) based on competitive fairness among similar sized schools while advocating for the status quo in another sport because of tradition and the awesomeness of the state championship tournament.

Basketball is different. Small schools have recently won the Sweet 16 - small schools outside the major metro areas.

I'm for 3 classes in all sports other than CC and B/G basketball for that very reason.

More from the Meeting:

During Monday’s Board of Control meeting at the Owensboro Convention Center, KHSAA Commissioner Julian Tackett presented the results from the Association’s triennial survey of the membership, conducted earlier this summer, the results of which designated Dance as the one sport or sport-activity to receive enough interest to be considered for future adoption.

The Board directed staff to return at the November meeting with a report on the necessary steps for implementing a championship in Dance in the future, including a complete fiscal analysis of the impact to the KHSAA and all member schools and its impact on other programs, along with an update on the addition of Rifle Marksmanship, which was previously approved by the Board.

“It is so vitally important that our member schools have this regular opportunity to evaluate options for championship play and provide this input. With our emphasis on opportunities for ALL students, not simply the outstanding athletically gifted, and in particular, our need to continue to highlight and potentially expand female championship opportunities, this instrument is invaluable,” said Tackett.

“We will take these results and provide our Board the best possible information to make a decision that balances the needs and wants of the member schools with the real world cost impacts to both our members and the Association, and will continue to keep our eye on new and emerging opportunities for student involvement in sports and sport-activities. We are at such a critical time when the age old question of ‘can we afford it’ has to always be tempered with the response ‘can we afford not to’ due to the overwhelming evidence that students involved in school based sports and sport-activities perform at a significantly higher level in the classroom. I am very thankful that 260 of our 277 member schools took the time to respond to the needed information.”

Several sports and activities had a percentage of schools respond in favor of a championship being conducted, but none with enough schools in favor to allow the Board to consider the addition of a championship. Per Board of Control policy, in order for the KHSAA to begin discussions concerning the possible sponsoring of a state championship in a new sport or sport-activity, there shall be at least fifty (50) member schools desiring to participate by showing a favorable response on the interest survey, and the sport having currently participating schools in at least three basketball regions. The only exception is in those limited cases where a new sport or sport-activity would help the membership with its obligations with respect to Title IX.

Dance received the most support with 50 schools showing interest in competing immediately in a postseason championship and 12 other schools showing regular season-only interest. Rifle Marksmanship (which had already been approved in the last Triennial Survey) had 40 schools (boys) and 39 (girls) desiring immediate entry into postseason competition, and another 11 (boys) and 10 (girls) wanting a team in regular season-only. Among the sports or sport-activities that fell short of the minimum requirement to desire a postseason championship were boys’ (31) and girls’ (29) Lacrosse, and Trapshooting (35) – which was promoted to the membership as a possible championship per 2014 HCR 11. An opportunity to continue the KHSAA’s push for greater inclusion for all student-athletes was evident with adapted Bowling receiving support from 43 schools for either postseason or regular season play.

The complete results from the Triennial Survey can be found at this link:

https://portal.ksba.org/public/Meeting.aspx?PublicAgencyID=4374&PublicMeetingID=14347&AgencyTypeID=1

Can someone explain how this could possibly be true?

" 2) In many cases, new class systems simply shift which teams are winning awards, not necessarily resulting in opportunities for awards and recognition"

How could having classes shift which teams are winning awards? So if there are 3 classes in say Boys Golf would that not mean 2 more teams would win State Championships? And lets say the team that would have won it under one class is in Class AA. Would that not mean a Class A team and a Class AAA team would also win championships?

And in say volleyball which realistically is always 4 or 5 large schools winning.......how does new classes just shift which schools are winning awards?