Cincinnati To Get D-III Professional Soccer Team

Not just on scrimmages. Every team in the USL is eligible to compete in the U.S. Open Cup, a 100+ year old single-elimination tournament encompassing every level of adult soccer in the country.

Louisville gave the MLS' Chicago Fire all they could handle back in May before losing in extra time and at least one USL team scored a victory over an MLS opponent in that tournament.

That's awesome I read about the tournament in the article I posted but I wasnt sure exactly what it was or how it worked. I think they will draw a good crowd, Having it at Nippert will attract UC students especially if they serve a reasonably priced beer. Adding some local talent would also help with attendance. The area has never had a professional soccer team even remotely close to the level of competition of the USL. I don't agree with those that think the Crew and other teams of close proximity will hurt attendance. The Cyclones seem to do alright even with the Blue Jackets and Predators not far away.

I'll attend a few games.

But they're playing at Nippert? Did the add soccer lines when they did the remodel? I don't remember old Nippert having them since UC has a soccer stadium.

I'm sure they'll add them. If they've made soccer work at Slugger Field in Louisville, it'll be considerably easier at Nippert.

That's awesome I read about the tournament in the article I posted but I wasnt sure exactly what it was or how it worked. I think they will draw a good crowd, Having it at Nippert will attract UC students especially if they serve a reasonably priced beer. Adding some local talent would also help with attendance.

Louisville lucked out to an extent in getting a pre-existing franchise from Orlando. The city got a coach who was already familiar with the league and a couple players.

Looking at the other new team in the Eastern Conference this year, St. Louis FC, is probably more illustrative for just how difficult it is to start a team from scratch.

So I assume the Cincinnati Saints will go bye-bye?

They just unveiled a new logo, i don't know if that means anything but I don't think they are going anywhere. From what I've read they've had to know this was in the works. I'm not sure that their games drew that many fans anyway.

Harkes has about as good a resume as a player as any other player, and I don't know if he has any head coaching experience, but he played and coached under former USMNT coach Bruce Arena. I think it's awesome to have a Hall of Famer here locally.

Unfortunately when I hear his name, I always only think of the following:

Grant Wahl: Painful U.S. secret does little to change '98 WCup legacy - More Sports - SI.com

• 3 weeks later...
Sounds like they are angling to turn this into a MLS franchise.

Cincinnati wants MLS team 'in the short term'

Everyone is these days. USL team owners are trying to springboard their success into MLS.

I think it's a mistake.

MLS is out there bending over backwards to serve teams in LA and New York and the teams in smaller markets are already getting the short shrift. If I was an owner, I'd be thinking how to make the USL great first and worrying about trying to get a cut of the MLS pie later.