Cincinnati To Get D-III Professional Soccer Team

Louisville City FC has an awful lot of support around Louisville. Columbus Crew doesn't seem to be struggling. Why do you think Cincinnati won't last?

Because those two teams are so close for one.

Secondly this is like the third time since has had a pro soccer team at some level, they just dont last long.

Louisville City FC has an awful lot of support around Louisville. Columbus Crew doesn't seem to be struggling. Why do you think Cincinnati won't last?

I think their connection to Orlando (and the upcoming game against them at Slugger Field) have helped.

This new team will actually be playing in a legit league that is a direct feeder to the MLS. I think that's what will make this team succeed versus what other pro teams in the area have done in the past. Anytime a minor league team is affiliated with a major professional team it's odds of succeeding are greater. I see no reason why this team can't be what the Cyclones are for Hockey, I don't even like soccer very much but I'm already excited to attend some games. The New Nippert will be an amazing place to take in these games. I'm pretty sure at least one team from this same league has already transitioned into the MLS, this will be a lot different than the Cincinnati Kings or Saints who play in High School stadiums. Another neat thing about teams in the USL is they sometimes compete against MLS teams in scrimmages and have even been known to upset them sometimes.

Carl Lindner III bringing new pro soccer team to Cincy

This had been rumored for several months; I'm thrilled they finally made the announcement. I think the club is in a good position to be successful. Can't wait to attend a road game next year.

Welcome to the league, Cincinnati. It's been tremendously fun here in Louisville this year.

Another neat thing about teams in the USL is they sometimes compete against MLS teams in scrimmages and have even been known to upset them sometimes.

Not just on scrimmages. Every team in the USL is eligible to compete in the U.S. Open Cup, a 100+ year old single-elimination tournament encompassing every level of adult soccer in the country.

Louisville gave the MLS' Chicago Fire all they could handle back in May before losing in extra time and at least one USL team scored a victory over an MLS opponent in that tournament.

I think I read in the Cincy Enquirer that Louisville had the 2nd best average at 6300. 1st is Sacramento at 11,000+.

This is very different from anything than Cincy has been involved. Soccer does not have the stigma it had even 10 years ago due to the youth that played the last 20-30 years are now fans.