Hey grocery stores

newarkcatholicfan

I understand and appreciate an oil company, as a business, expecting and expected to, make a profit and acceptable return on investment. However, it must be noted that they do this by exploring (exploiting) natural limited resources that ultimately are owned by mankind which also exacts a terrific price (google oil spills) in the extraction process. Thus, we all have some stake, ecologically, politically and otherwise in where and how the oil companies get their product.

I will just add, I will never trust an oil company executive any farther than I could throw one.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JA, your challenge is that not enough people feel like it's a problem like you do. You've gone to a fuel efficient vehicle. Most people have not.

If Plantman was "getting screwed" he would either move closer to his job, get a new job, or buy a more fuel efficient vehicle. Being that none of those seem to have happened then that tells us it's not enough of a problem for him to make a change.

True of the vast majority of Americans. Ignoring the fact you want to tell certain businesses they have to agree to have their profits capped, this issue just isn't that big of a deal to most Americas.

Americans have the power to change this IF it becomes a big issue to them.

Even with all that, it's still not an option for everybody to just say, "I'm not paying it." I live two blocks from both my jobs, and I still pay a bit more than that $50 a month (as long as no out-of-town trips are involved) for gas.

Good, bad or indifferent, you can't ask people to quit their jobs because of gas prices, and you can't really ask them to pick up and move somewhere else. If gas prices are already killing them, do you really think they can afford the $2,000 or so it costs to pack up everything and move, and get everything situated for housing?

That's just not particularly reasonable to expect of normal folks who don't make $1,500 a week.

Even with all that, it's still not an option for everybody to just say, "I'm not paying it." I live two blocks from both my jobs, and I still pay a bit more than that $50 a month (as long as no out-of-town trips are involved) for gas.

Good, bad or indifferent, you can't ask people to quit their jobs because of gas prices, and you can't really ask them to pick up and move somewhere else. If gas prices are already killing them, do you really think they can afford the $2,000 or so it costs to pack up everything and move, and get everything situated for housing?

That's just not particularly reasonable to expect of normal folks who don't make $1,500 a week.

Perfect example of "opportunity cost."

We do have choices. They're just not always great choices. We prioritize and the gas bill is not that high of a priority to most folks. We then live with our choices - good and bad.

Perfect example of "opportunity cost."

We do have choices. They're just not always great choices. We prioritize and the gas bill is not that high of a priority to most folks. We then live with our choices - good and bad.

Sure. Don't buy gas. Bet that goes over well with most folks' bosses. Telling people to move is just lame.

Refinery issue to blame for jump in gas prices

Trouble at a British Petroleum refinery in northern Indiana is to be blame for Cincinnati's sudden and steep increase in gas prices and one expert said it could be a month before prices return to normal.

The BP Whiting Refinery in northern Indiana shut down the largest of three crude distillation units Saturday for what the company in a statement called "unscheduled repair work." BP says that the rest of the refinery is operating at reduced production.

Production at the refinery - the seventh-largest of its kind in America - has slowed to a trickle, said Patrick DeHaan, a senior petroleum analyst at GasBuddy.com. The refinery's reach is large, and extends beyond BP as it acts as a distributor for other fuel brands.

Gas prices have skyrocketed across the Great Lakes region as a result, and parts of Cincinnati saw overnight price increases of 40 cents or more Tuesday night into Wednesday.

According to GasBuddy, the states most affected by the refinery's reduced production are Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and Illinois, but others, including Minnesota and Wisconsin, also saw increases.

The increases aren't expected to slow down before Saturday, and could continue into next week, said DeHaan.

In fact, consumers might have to wait up to a month for suppliers to pass their profit back to local gas stations, DeHaan said.

"It's temporary," DeHaan said. "And it's not a conspiracy. BP is not profiting from this. It's simple economics. These are the prices the market is bearing. Suppliers are bringing in new supply from outside the region. My gut feeling is it may be a month" before prices drop.

The average per-gallon price for regular, unleaded fuel reached $2.93 in the Queen City on Thursday morning, according to GasBuddy. That's about 29 cents above the national average, and up from $2.54 last week.

Tuesday night into Wednesday in Cincinnati featured the steepest overnight increase in the region this year.

An overnight increase of 25 cents was cause for local scrutiny and consternation in January, to put this week's increase in perspective.

A year-over-year comparison shows Cincinnati is paying 53 cents less per gallon than in August 2014, according to GasBuddy.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Sure. Don't buy gas. Bet that goes over well with most folks' bosses. Telling people to move is just lame.

I am saying "do what you think is best for you." If that means living away from your job then do that. Just live with all of the costs and issues that go with it.

How is that lame?

Coal was/is traded in the futures market just like oil' date=' but through regulations you don't see daily changes in KW/hour rates. Same thing applies for natural gas.[/quote']

I don't like govt control but if they can stop the price of water going from $1.00 to $5.00 after a disaster, then they should be able to stop a 60 cent gas hike over night also.