Trinity 44 Henry Clay 0 (Scrimmage)

theguru

From tcjkbt in the update thread:

The three-quarter game ended 44-0. A couple of things that impressed me were the number of good RB's T showed and the way the defense swarmed to the ball. H. Clay will get much better as the season goes on. After a lukewarm first half, Harper played well at QB in the 3rd quarter. So did his brother, Manny, at receiver.

I was happy to see Coach Wolford and many of his minions were seated comfortably on the Henry Clay side of the field.:scared:

His Tigers see the Blue Devils in a couple of weeks.

Trinity defense was impressive. It should be a fun season for the Rocks.

HC alternated qbs all night.. They have tons of athletes plus size on the line, once they settle on a QB they'll be fine

Trinity also alternated at the QB position between SR Jake Woosley and JR Larry Harper. Each ended up with 4 drives each.

All 4 of Woosley's ended in TD's. 2 rushing by Jovan Smith. The passing TD's were to Conner Carrico and Manny Harper. Other than missing a couple of reads down field Woosley looked very comfortable from the signal caller position. Pretty impressive start from a kid who played RB in grade school, only QB his freshman year and played WR the last 2.

Harper's first 2 drives started a little rough with a pick that ended the first drive. In the 2nd drive he was picked again but the HC defender cough it up on his own and the Rocks recovered. They stalled out in the red zone and had to settle for a FG. His next 2 drives were much more productive and ended in passing TD's to Barron Hoffman and Collin McKinley. Even though things started rough it was good to see Harper didn't fold and responded very positively.

Beatty and Coverdale have a challenging decision to make but one I'm sure a lot of other coaches wouldn't mind having. Either way they go Trinity will be in good hands. If everything is equal between the 2 QB's I would think you would have to give the nod to the SR. From what I understand a decision will be known on Monday.

I thought Rodjay Burns played well...and showed more speed than last season.

My opinion, Rodjay was the best football player on the field by 1,000 miles. When you look at Robinson going to UK and Burns going to UL, not much of a discussion at DB or WR - chalk another win up to the Cards in that recruiting battle.

Cats Pause also said HC was bringing one of the most electrifying RB'S to town. I think the kid touched the ball 3 times and didn't do anything with it. Most folks would agree, going to be hard running on this group of Shamrocks.

Woosley has pretty much done it all going back to Optimist days and grade school football over the years. At times, he was QB, RB or WR on four Toy Bowl Teams at Edward. Had a great coach in former UL QB Jim Didier who encouraged him to always keep QB options open over the years. Same can be said on baseball field - can pretty much put him anywhere.

In the same breath, I was really happy with the way Larry responded late in the first half and all of the 2nd half. Part of the growing up process and he certainly matured Friday night. I'll take both guys into a battle any day of the week. Compliments to Coach Cov, Coach Brohm and Coach B for the work invested in all the QB's. We look to be in good hands with Jake and Larry. Especially when our ground game was so impressive.

I thought Rodjay Burns played well...and showed more speed than last season.

My opinion, Rodjay was the best football player on the field by 1,000 miles. When you look at Robinson going to UK and Burns going to UL, not much of a discussion at DB or WR - chalk another win up to the Cards in that recruiting battle.

Cats Pause also said HC was bringing one of the most electrifying RB'S to town. I think the kid touched the ball 3 times and didn't do anything with it. Most folks would agree, going to be hard running on this group of Shamrocks.

Woosley has pretty much done it all going back to Optimist days and grade school football over the years. At times, he was QB, RB or WR on four Toy Bowl Teams at Edward. Had a great coach in former UL QB Jim Didier who encouraged him to always keep QB options open over the years. Same can be said on baseball field - can pretty much put him anywhere.

In the same breath, I was really happy with the way Larry responded late in the first half and all of the 2nd half. Part of the growing up process and he certainly matured Friday night. I'll take both guys into a battle any day of the week. Compliments to Coach Cov, Coach Brohm and Coach B for the work invested in all the QB's. We look to be in good hands with Jake and Larry. Especially when our ground game was so impressive.

After watching just this scrimmage, I would have to say that Woosley would be the leader to start. Like multiple posters stated before, Larry was shaky to start, even though he did rally somewhat. His height is just a major detriment at this point and his arm didn't really seem very strong. From my vantage point standing behind the end zone, you could see that he has real trouble seeing over the line sometimes (which, now that I think about it isn't a huge deal because T rolls the QB so much). With all this said though, whoever plays will have success as the skill talent around them will be off the charts good.

Old-School, you were spot on about Rodjay being the best player on the field. Robinson did flash some very impressive top end speed though, he definitely has tools.

Defense, nothing really to say, they're very good.

Impressive showing on Friday night.

Not sure but thinking Woodley did not throw an incomplete pass. Knowing the system and being a senior means a lot in my mind. He managed and made plays with there was maybe nothing there. Expectations sometimes don't allow a player to develop. Woosley is a senior and he is a leader much like Young as a senior was last year. That worked out pretty well for Trinity last year.

Why has Henry Clay become content with Sam Simpson? There are some coaches that would blow the doors off that job, does nothing with his talent.

Bumping this post before it get's lost.

A very valid question.

How many Regional Titles has Henry Clay had over the past 10-12 years?

We are talking about a school who has produced numerous major D-1 players...a couple NFL guys (Shane Boyd and Chase Minniefield)... and field rosters that are able to platoon with plenty of talent each way.

Most folks would agree, going to be hard running on this group of Shamrocks.

Historically Trinity has done well stopping the run with a few exceptions (ie Victor Anderson at X), it is the solid passing game that can give Trinity trouble. If you can pass the ball pretty well, you can give Trinity a game generally speaking.

Historically Trinity has done well stopping the run with a few exceptions (ie Victor Anderson at X), it is the solid passing game that can give Trinity trouble. If you can pass the ball pretty well, you can give Trinity a game generally speaking.

Seemed like the only T lineman that could consistently stop Anderson was Dane Spoelker :sssh:

As for the scrimmage, I went with a friend and what a great night for football! I thought the T pass defense got better as the game progressed; they were helped early by some HC dropped passes. Burns will make even more plays having moved to safety. No glaring holes at T - they just need to grow and get better week by week.