Campbell County rookie trap shooter Hunter Plewke wins national medal

theguru

ALEXANDRIA – They didn’t give out a rookie of the year award at the national scholastic trap shooting championships, but Hunter Plewke put his hat in the ring for that honor.

The incoming freshman at Campbell County High School had a strong debut at the national competition in Sparta, Ill. More than 2,400 kids from 27 states attended. It was a two-day competition were the kids shot 100 targets each day.

Plewke earned a second-place finish by shooting a 96 on day one and a 93 on day two for a total score of 189 out of a perfect 200. Hunter bested 208 other shooters in the Intermediate Entry division for his runner-up showing.

“Hunter worked hard by following the coaching tips given to him at practice each week,” said head coach Dennis Menning. “This is what it takes to win against the best of the best at a national competition.”

Trap shooting involves targets being flung out of a machine in random directions and the teens having to hit the targets in midair. The local team, the Northern Kentucky Top Guns, practices at the Bob White club near Campbell County High School.

Plewke’s previous best score in competition was 173.

“I changed guns and felt a lot more comfortable,” he said. “It takes a lot of focus and a lot of practice.”

Plewke practices twice a week with the Top Guns, shooting close to 150 rounds per week. The team sends several groups of five-person teams to the national competition each year.

“It’s something new. I like shooting guns and the competition,” he said. “You can’t think about bad things, think positive.”

Plewke also plans to play football and baseball at Campbell County High School and hopes to one day continue the sport in college or in the Army.

Follow James on Twitter, @JWeberSports

Campbell County freshman takes second in trap shooting

I want to add I know Hunter very well and he is a fine, respectful young man.

I also think all of us on BGP will come to know the name as one of the top athletes in NKY a couple of years down the road.

A fun fact is his 1st cousins are Greg Menetrey of Campbell County Football Fame and Dustin Menetrey Beechwood Football Fame.

Wow, that's gettin' it done. Congrats to Hunter. Trap is so much fun. Used to reload for it and those times with my dad and best friend growing up I'll always remember. Good luck to him in the future.

Hunter passed along some information to me.

"I was using a Stoeger Condor Competition then switched to a Browning Citori XT Golden Clays."

Seems logical. The Stoeger is a $650 dollar gun. Don't necessarily want to go too expensive before you know you're really into the sport. Then once you know you're in, you upgrade....to that beauty of a $5K Browning.

Good for Hunter, though! Shooting clays is a great sport, and a good way to get kids out of doors.

Seems logical. The Stoeger is a $650 dollar gun. Don't necessarily want to go too expensive before you know you're really into the sport. Then once you know you're in, you upgrade....to that beauty of a $5K Browning.

Good for Hunter, though! Shooting clays is a great sport, and a good way to get kids out of doors.

Agree on all counts Tyler. Hunter comes from very fine shooting stock and they obliviously played their cards right with the timing of the weapons.