Is SpiethThe Next Tiger...

Clyde

No question that Tiger would attract the most attention. What Spieth is doing that know one else has done(other than possibly Rory of Phil), is he is closing the gap. Tiger will always be "the man" but the gap is closing. If Spieth continues to match Tiger's record(which is probably still a stretch) his appeal will continue to grow immensely.

I think game-wise McIlroy has more potential than Spieth to generate Tiger-like attention. McIlroy doesn't play that many tournaments in the US though, so that is a big takeaway. Skill-wise, character-wise, Spieth is a class act. Also, I think he has a game that will let him be successful for a long time.

I agree with @TheDeuce, I think Tiger still has some good golf left in him, and I think we will all be interested in seeing it.

I think Spieth will be the closest thing to Tiger we have seen. He has incredible market appeal. Unlike Tiger, he is approachable, believable, gracious, open, very likable, doesn't use foul language.....I have read where he is a marketing dream. There will never be another Tiger, but Spieth will be setting a new, different standard.

By your description, which I agree with, I see Spieth being more like Phil Mickelson than Tiger...maybe a more successful version and maybe not...

By your description, which I agree with, I see Spieth being more like Phil Mickelson than Tiger...maybe a more successful version and maybe not...

The difference is most people know Phil is as phony as it gets, think David Simms from "Tin Cup", even though so many fans refuse to believe it / see it / acknowledge it. I think Spieth is the genuine article.

Let's just let Spieth be the 1st Spieth. I'm certainly a fan, how can you not be?

Should also be noted that he and Zach were flying home together, so he didn't have a lot of choice but to wait for him to finish. :D

The difference is most people know Phil is as phony as it gets, think David Simms from "Tin Cup", even though so many fans refuse to believe it / see it / acknowledge it. I think Spieth is the genuine article.

Let's just let Spieth be the 1st Spieth. I'm certainly a fan, how can you not be?

Should also be noted that he and Zach were flying home together, so he didn't have a lot of choice but to wait for him to finish. :D

Totally agree is Phil is very phony but I think the most casual fans like him a lot...and I agree that it is really hard not to like Jordan...I want to be his caddy for the next 15 years!!

Totally agree is Phil is very phony but I think the most casual fans like him a lot...and I agree that it is really hard not to like Jordan...I want to be his caddy for the next 15 years!!

Speaking of that, I love listening to their interaction. Kinda cool.

• 4 weeks later...
Did you hear the post round interview yesterday? On several occasions, Spieth talked about this year and what "we" have accomplished. Very subtle, but showing, in my opinion, that this kid gets it.

He actually says "we" all the time. Whenever he talks about a round, he says "we" when talking about shots hit, etc...

You are right...he gets it...

He may be 22 but he has the mind (and hairline:)) of a 35-40 year old.