Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

US Open

Featured Replies

  • Author
Boo. Hoo. They make millions hitting a ball with a stick. They'll survive bad greens...

 

It has nothing to do with how much money they make or how they do it and yes...they all survived...not the point though. Look at it this way. The US Open is the World Series of golf basically. Would you be OK if they played the WS on a dirt infield that had all sorts of bad hops in it...not even good enough for a HS regional tournament game? What would the reaction be if WS games were decided by bad hops on a lousy infield? The BB players (who make just as much or more than the golfers) would be complaining or "whining" a whole lot...and rightfully so. The pinnacle events of any sport should be played on the best fields or courses...and those greens were not even close to that...they stunk.

  • Replies 80
  • Views 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
I enjoyed watching this year's Open. The course did kind of grow on me after 4 days, and it's neat to see the different kinds of shots and strategies employed to get from tee to green. The greens were a problem. Bumpiness and the fact that almost all of them putted different speeds had to be annoying for the pro's. Nothing worse than playing 2 or three perfect shots and not having a clue what to do with the putt. I think the course was too young and not ready to host an Open. And the point about Chambers Bay staying open is a good one. No way I'm paying $300 to walk up and down hills for 8 miles, and put on greens that don't reward good putts. The whole "the public can play on it" is really thin when you factor in the cost and fun factor. I might be willing to pay that kind of scratch to play Pebble Beach. I'm definitely not paying that to walk a goat trail.

 

I paid 3 bills to play Pebble years ago. Best $300 I ever spent. I walked and carried because I was in no hurry. I hope I get to play that course again before I pass on. It is everything people say about it and more!

I paid 3 bills to play Pebble years ago. Best $300 I ever spent. I walked and carried because I was in no hurry. I hope I get to play that course again before I pass on. It is everything people say about it and more!

 

Ok, you talked me into it!! My wife will be much tougher to convince. I was lucky enough to play Bethpage Black a couple times when I lived back east. It was at the peak of my golf game, when I was a single digit handicap. Tried playing the tips, and gave up about 8 holes in. At the time it was a little over $100 to play, which to me was a great bargain. I also got really lucky and played Merion once. That was an unbelievable experience. Very serene, just a truly beautiful, great course.

It has nothing to do with how much money they make or how they do it and yes...they all survived...not the point though. Look at it this way. The US Open is the World Series of golf basically. Would you be OK if they played the WS on a dirt infield that had all sorts of bad hops in it...not even good enough for a HS regional tournament game? What would the reaction be if WS games were decided by bad hops on a lousy infield? The BB players (who make just as much or more than the golfers) would be complaining or "whining" a whole lot...and rightfully so. The pinnacle events of any sport should be played on the best fields or courses...and those greens were not even close to that...they stunk.

 

Let's play the NCAA final four and NBA finals on the court at Venice Beach. Layups and dunks will be fine, but free throws and 3-pt. shots will be interesting if the wind picks up.

Let's play the NCAA final four and NBA finals on the court at Venice Beach. Layups and dunks will be fine, but free throws and 3-pt. shots will be interesting if the wind picks up.

 

How about games on an aircraft carrier. No big deal...

  • Author
Ok, you talked me into it!! My wife will be much tougher to convince. I was lucky enough to play Bethpage Black a couple times when I lived back east. It was at the peak of my golf game, when I was a single digit handicap. Tried playing the tips, and gave up about 8 holes in. At the time it was a little over $100 to play, which to me was a great bargain. I also got really lucky and played Merion once. That was an unbelievable experience. Very serene, just a truly beautiful, great course.

One of the reasons my wife is a keeper...I was torn on whether to play at Pebble while we were out there. We drove by it in the evening (my wife and two young daughters were with me) and walked around. She said I was crazy to be there and not try to play. I went to the clubhouse and asked if they had a tee time the next day for a single. They paired me up with a real nice couple from Dallas the next morning at 7am. Beautiful crisp morning! Not one complaint about the day. Course is not that long and the greens are very small...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.