Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

US Open

Featured Replies

Feel bad for DJ, but we are looking at the next great American golfer in Spieth. This guy looks like he can win a bunch.

  • Replies 80
  • Views 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that finish doesn't lead to a relapse, then DJ is healed.

If that finish doesn't lead to a relapse, then DJ is healed.

 

I was kinda thinking the same thing. I believe that his time will come.

 

Would have loved to see an 18-hole playoff.

Some of the golfers destroyed the golf course and USGA after the tournament because the greens were so bad.

All the whining about the course was weak and indicative of the soft nature of the sport. If the lead group was hovering at and over par all week, maybe. With a number of guys in contention up to the final shot and the scores hovering from -6 to -3 at the top of the leader board all week, play better or shut the hell up.

 

Tough course. A solid lead pack played it well. That's what the Open is supposed to be about. HARD course that tested everyone and provided an excellent outcome. I'll take that over the winner finishing one ahead of the pack at -12. Talk about boring...

  • Author
All the whining about the course was weak and indicative of the soft nature of the sport. If the lead group was hovering at and over par all week, maybe. With a number of guys in contention up to the final shot and the scores hovering from -6 to -3 at the top of the leader board all week, play better or shut the hell up.

 

Tough course. A solid lead pack played it well. That's what the Open is supposed to be about. HARD course that tested everyone and provided an excellent outcome. I'll take that over the winner finishing one ahead of the pack at -12. Talk about boring...

 

I don't think the golfers complaining about the course were upset that it is HARD. They expect that and want that for the US Open...they really do. What they want is the course to be FAIR and to be played on a course that is up to US Open standards. The greens on that course were NOT fair and were not even close to US Open standards. They were awful and two guys could hit the exact same putt from the exact same spot and get different results due to the terrible greens. Tee to green, this course was not as difficult as many US Open courses due to the fairways being relatively very wide. However the greens made things a crap shoot around the hole. That is why the players were complaining. It will be interesting to see if they ever go back there for the Open. If they do, I predict that they totally redo the greens.

 

I don't think the golfers complaining about the course were upset that it is HARD. They expect that and want that for the US Open...they really do. What they want is the course to be FAIR and to be played on a course that is up to US Open standards. The greens on that course were NOT fair and were not even close to US Open standards. They were awful and two guys could hit the exact same putt from the exact same spot and get different results due to the terrible greens. Tee to green, this course was not as difficult as many US Open courses due to the fairways being relatively very wide. However the greens made things a crap shoot around the hole. That is why the players were complaining. It will be interesting to see if they ever go back there for the Open. If they do, I predict that they totally redo the greens.

 

Boo. Hoo. They make millions hitting a ball with a stick. They'll survive bad greens...

I used to belong to Frankfort Country Club. It is a decent layout, and the greens had Poanna like this course. Also, they had a lot of slope and undulations and were very hard in the afternoon. This Open course greens reminded me of my days at FCC. It can be absolute torture to hit greens with no confidence in the ability to 2-putt from anywhere.

 

Luck is part of the game, but for anyone who has played competitively, one wants to be judged on the merits of their game not getting lucky and getting a good roll on the green 9 out of 18 times.

Boo. Hoo. They make millions hitting a ball with a stick. They'll survive bad greens...

 

Which is why you should probably stick to hoops.

It's still hard to believe that Johnson 3 putted from 15 feet to lose a chance at the championship, unless the downhill putt he had couldn't be stopped any closer regardless of his putting stroke. Day ran a similar putt by the hole as well. My home course has a few greens that if one misses a downhill putt the ball won't stop and you're left with a longer putt than you started with. Maybe it was beyond his control to roll it up for a gimmie, but he still should have made the birdie putt. His putting stroke for short putts during the back 9 was either a pull or a push. It cost him the tournament.

 

I agree with the posts about the terrible greens. Inexcusable. One guy had a 20 footer that was clearly rolling up for a gimmie and it hit something halfway to the hole and jumped 2 inches straight up. He was left with about an 8 foot putt. Their fairways would have probably putted as good as their greens.

I'm torn on this course. It's neat from the perspective that it is totally different from any other US Open venue...and many would say that's it's downfall, it isn't what a US Open venue should be.

 

I always liked watching the British Open because it was different from what we get here. I just feel like I watched the British Open with crazy, tricked up greens that were bumpier than a toads back.

 

I heard talk on sports radio yesterday, one commentator saying he didn't see how Chambers Bay could stay open much longer. 8 1/2 miles to walk (no carts, it HAS to be walked), public course that costs an arm and a leg to play, and it's severally penal. He stated that he would love to play it once based mostly on it's uniqueness, be totally disgusted with his score and never go back to it again. That's the EXACT feeling I have. I'd probably like to play it once (though wouldn't pay what they want to do it) walk off with a big score and not have any interest in playing it again.

 

I guess it was..."unique" to have the US Open there once. I say not again.

Anybody want to play Sunday afternoon?

 

Wish I'd seen this. Didn't have a match, so I just did home projects....golf would have been better.

Just watched JB Holmes (tied for 5th -1) on hole one.

 

Withheld judgement on course ... till now.

 

Maybe the course should have windmills around the holes.

That's exactly what my wife said: "windmills." She also added "little castles."

I'm not a golfer but was there any area on those greens where a ball would not roll...even if it was as small as 10' x 10'? It had to be frustrating for the players.

and it's severally penal..
That's more/less what Poulter and Horschel had to say about the USGA president.
I'm torn on this course. It's neat from the perspective that it is totally different from any other US Open venue...and many would say that's it's downfall, it isn't what a US Open venue should be.

 

I always liked watching the British Open because it was different from what we get here. I just feel like I watched the British Open with crazy, tricked up greens that were bumpier than a toads back.

 

I heard talk on sports radio yesterday, one commentator saying he didn't see how Chambers Bay could stay open much longer. 8 1/2 miles to walk (no carts, it HAS to be walked), public course that costs an arm and a leg to play, and it's severally penal. He stated that he would love to play it once based mostly on it's uniqueness, be totally disgusted with his score and never go back to it again. That's the EXACT feeling I have. I'd probably like to play it once (though wouldn't pay what they want to do it) walk off with a big score and not have any interest in playing it again.

 

I guess it was..."unique" to have the US Open there once. I say not again.

 

I enjoyed watching this year's Open. The course did kind of grow on me after 4 days, and it's neat to see the different kinds of shots and strategies employed to get from tee to green. The greens were a problem. Bumpiness and the fact that almost all of them putted different speeds had to be annoying for the pro's. Nothing worse than playing 2 or three perfect shots and not having a clue what to do with the putt. I think the course was too young and not ready to host an Open. And the point about Chambers Bay staying open is a good one. No way I'm paying $300 to walk up and down hills for 8 miles, and put on greens that don't reward good putts. The whole "the public can play on it" is really thin when you factor in the cost and fun factor. I might be willing to pay that kind of scratch to play Pebble Beach. I'm definitely not paying that to walk a goat trail.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.