Is there a double standard on free speech in America?

All Tell

Is there a double standard on free speech in the US?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a double standard on free speech in the US?

• Yes
    • No

The reaction to the violence in the wake of the Draw Muhammad event in Texas has me believing there is.

Many believe that the organizers of this event stepped over a line. I disagree. Several years ago there was an "art" exhibit where a crucifix was submerged in urine. Many of the people that are now saying the Texas event organizers crossed a line because they knew they would offend Muslims supported the "artists" right to offend Christians.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the sanctimoniousness of religion in general makes it an open target for lampooning. Doesn't matter whose religion it is.

Muslims need to get over themselves on the Muhammad thing. If they want to be part of the larger world and enjoy the benefits of that larger world's freedoms, they need to get used to being needled on that.

All the whole "blasphemous images of Muhammad" stance serves to accomplish is what Florida Gov. Bob Martinez did by banning that 2 Live Crew record.

I find the sanctimoniousness of religion in general makes it an open target for lampooning. Doesn't matter whose religion it is.

Muslims need to get over themselves on the Muhammad thing. If they want to be part of the larger world and enjoy the benefits of that larger world's freedoms, they need to get used to being needled on that.

All the whole "blasphemous images of Muhammad" stance serves to accomplish is what Florida Gov. Bob Martinez did by banning that 2 Live Crew record.

Muslims don't seem fond of freedom.

Absolutely. And it isn't going anywhere. And honestly, it's probably a good thing.

I agree

Why is it a good thing?

Because too many times we all take ourselves WAY too serious. We are ALL guilty of looking for something to offend us. Why should I care if someone else uses a word that I never use anyway?

Here is a good analogy for people that can't understand double standards on the most taboo word..."I can yell at my kids for doing something stupid, but YOU better not yell at my kids", "I can call my brother a dumb-butt but I won't stand for someone else doing it"

When someone says something stupid it should be more about their stupidity than what they said.

Unfortunately it's not going to change anytime soon.

Edited by Jumper_Dad

The reaction to the violence in the wake of the Draw Muhammad event in Texas has me believing there is.

Many believe that the organizers of this event stepped over a line. I disagree. Several years ago there was an "art" exhibit where a crucifix was submerged in urine. Many of the people that are now saying the Texas event organizers crossed a line because they knew they would offend Muslims supported the "artists" right to offend Christians.

I agree with you as well as disagree. But, whoever it was who put the crucifix in urine knew that people wouldn't go around killing people for it. But, when you have "a few" Muslims that get so upset over an image of Mohammed that those few would be willing to kill non Muslims, why tempt them and have innocent people killed? To make a point?

I don't think there's a double standard. The rights are equally applied. But people have differing opinions about what is wise or unwise. I don't have to like what someone says, but they have the right to say it. And I have the right to disagree.

Freedom of speech does have consequences, though. So even if one has the right to say it, it doesn't mean it will end well for you if you do.

Why is it a good thing?

It's good that there is a double standard?

I'm trying to figure out that one myself.

Think about it. A black professor makes what folks feel are racist statements about white males. The outrage lies with..."what if a white male said that about black people?" Well, for one, it wouldn't go over well. Why? Because white males still dominate the power structure of our country. If white males in power said things like this then black people would say, "see, we are held down by the man." Who is right then? These are times I almost wish I was a white dude so I could show people how to laugh at statements like the ones she made. These are meaningless words that are simply an opinion.

In a week no one is going to care what this black female professor said, whether she has a job and majority of us won't even remember her name. Hell, I don't remember her name and I don't even remember the name of the Harvard professor that made The Beer Summit happen. She has no true power, no true influence and if the students she does teach and influence choose to voice their similar beliefs in the wrong setting then they will suffer the consequences. For every person who is allowed to use the double standard to their advantage there are people who suffer because they are on the wrong side of the double standard. Everyone at some point benefits from the double standards in today's world and everyone falls to a double standard at some point as well. Double standards make the world go around.

I agree with you as well as disagree. But, whoever it was who put the crucifix in urine knew that people wouldn't go around killing people for it. But, when you have "a few" Muslims that get so upset over an image of Mohammed that those few would be willing to kill non Muslims, why tempt them and have innocent people killed? To make a point?

Because if you cow tow to their demands they have won, plain and simple. Freedom of agreeable speech is easy, freedom of offensive speech, not so much. And I'm not saying freedom from consequences of one's speech.

Lets say for a second that some Westboro type radical Christian would have attacked the "art" exhibit. Would the people that are now saying the Texas organizers should have "expected" the outrage and should have backed off be saying the same thing I really don't believe they would have.

There have been a very few instances of radical Christians killing pro-abortion activists. I don't remember a single instance where it was even suggested that the pro-abortionists should curtail their rhetoric because it could evoke violence.

I agree.

Because too many times we all take ourselves WAY too serious. We are ALL guilty of looking for something to offend us. Why should I care if someone else uses a word that I never use anyway?

Here is a good analogy for people that can't understand double standards on the most taboo word..."I can yell at my kids for doing something stupid, but YOU better not yell at my kids", "I can call my brother a dumb-butt but I won't stand for someone else doing it"

When someone says something stupid it should be more about their stupidity than what they said.

Unfortunately it's not going to change anytime soon.

Agreed JD, and I think that's a very good analogy.