Is there a double standard on free speech in America?

All Tell

Is there a double standard on free speech in the US?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a double standard on free speech in the US?

• Yes
    • No

It's good that there is a double standard?

I'm trying to figure out that one myself.

Promise that I'm not disagreeing just to disagree, but it likely depends on how you define 'good' or even 'double standard'.

Example: I think it's a good thing if people are not allowed to protest at other's funerals. That might be a double standard on "free speech" per se, but it doesn't mean that I don't agree with it.

Many double standards probably have a reason for being such.

Another example: A strict conception of 'free speech' as we know it gives broader latitude for criticizing public figures, for instance, politicians. This means that politicians don't have the same recourse under law that the average John Doe citizen has, but the protection is there so that society encourages political debate. Bush or Obama don't have the same protections than either of us have in that sense, but if they did, it could make things even more complicated.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there's a double standard. The rights are equally applied. But people have differing opinions about what is wise or unwise. I don't have to like what someone says, but they have the right to say it. And I have the right to disagree.

Freedom of speech does have consequences, though. So even if one has the right to say it, it doesn't mean it will end well for you if you do.

Agree RM.

Think about it. A black professor makes what folks feel are racist statements about white males. The outrage lies with..."what if a white male said that about black people?" Well, for one, it wouldn't go over well. Why? Because white males still dominate the power structure of our country. If white males in power said things like this then black people would say, "see, we are held down by the man." Who is right then? These are times I almost wish I was a white dude so I could show people how to laugh at statements like the ones she made. These are meaningless words that are simply an opinion.

In a week no one is going to care what this black female professor said, whether she has a job and majority of us won't even remember her name. Hell, I don't remember her name and I don't even remember the name of the Harvard professor that made The Beer Summit happen. She has no true power, no true influence and if the students she does teach and influence choose to voice their similar beliefs in the wrong setting then they will suffer the consequences. For every person who is allowed to use the double standard to their advantage there are people who suffer because they are on the wrong side of the double standard. Everyone at some point benefits from the double standards in today's world and everyone falls to a double standard at some point as well. Double standards make the world go around.

How can you say a college professor has no true power or no influence...over her students?? If she was just some blogger saying this, I could not care less. She is actually teaching students though.

How can you say a college professor has no true power or no influence...over her students?? If she was just some blogger saying this, I could not care less. She is actually teaching students though.

She has a classroom of what? 30-35 students? Maybe 5 at the most will be influenced by her. She has what....5 classes overall? That's 25 students she influences out of a total of 150-165 students? She makes no true dent in the power structures of America.

She has a classroom of what? 30-35 students? Maybe 5 at the most will be influenced by her. She has what....5 classes overall? That's 25 students she influences out of a total of 150-165 students? She makes no true dent in the power structures of America.

She controls the grades of ALL of her students, not just the ones she influences. 99.9% of white males make no true dent in the power structure of America.

Neither do 99 percent of the white males in this country.

I think you underestimate how many students will be influenced by her.

"When you disagree with a conservative, they think you are wrong. When you disagree with a liberal, they think you are evil"

I read this somewhere and think that not only is it mostly true but it could also explain part of the double standard.

"When you disagree with a conservative, they think you are wrong. When you disagree with a liberal, they think you are evil"

I read this somewhere and think that not only is it mostly true but it could also explain part of the double standard.

And if you disagree with both, it means you're most likely right....:idunno: :D

There will be plenty influenced by her. They ones influenced by her won't make a dent in the power structure of society. That's the point I am trying to make.

So if I'm in a position of influence and I say something racist, it's ok as long as I don't say it to anyone who will make a dent in the power structure of society?

So if I'm in a position of influence and I say something racist, it's ok as long as I don't say it to anyone who will make a dent in the power structure of society?

:lol2:

Uhhhhh, no. I'm saying her racist words and whatever influence she has over anyone won't make a dent in the power structure and in a week we won't remember this woman or her followers at all. She's a meaningless person in this world and there is no point getting worked up over her lunacy is what I am saying.

Let's all remember what Free Speech is. It's the right to say whatever you want without the fear of arrest or prosecution. There is no double standard concerning our right to free speech. It's not absolute as there are some restrictions, but criticism of the government and advocacy of ideas that people may find distasteful are almost always allowed. Nobody is getting locked up for spouting racist ideas, black, white, hispanic etc. While you are free to say almost whatever you want, if you say something stupid or unpopular expect to called out on it.

The "Double Standard" lies in what is acceptable for one group (whether its Race, gender, etc) may not be acceptable for another group to say.

Edited by rjs4470

:lol2:

Uhhhhh, no. I'm saying her racist words and whatever influence she has over anyone won't make a dent in the power structure and in a week we won't remember this woman or her followers at all. She's a meaningless person in this world and there is no point getting worked up over her lunacy is what I am saying.

If you want to see the double standard, the Principal in GA just got fired for her stupid, racist outburst and the racist professor, oh yeah, she reports for work in June.