Kentucky Derby, Who you got?

World B Free

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a value play, I'd definitely include Far Right in any of your exotics. Has the PERFECT (well, actually it was perfect, now it is just really good) PP at 20 (19), the pace is going to be blistering, and he has a great closing jock in the irons (Smitty). I will be shocked if he isn't coming like a freight train out of the clouds as they come down the stretch.

Am I right that on $1, this becomes a $6 bet? What is the technical term for that bet...Exacta Box +1?

Yes, a $1 exacta box with three horses is $6 (3x2x1). You would go to the window and say, "Churchill Downs, race X (don't know off the top of my head, 12th maybe), $1 exacta box X-X-X (your three horses)." Same on a trifecta, to calculate bet costs in a boxed wager, take number of horses x number of horses -1 x number of horses -2 x wager ($1 or $2 usually). So for me, if I box 5 horses in a $2 tri, it would be 5x4x3x2 = $120.

Or, if you LOVE one or two of them, you could bet a tri wheel like: American Pharoah, over Carpe Diem and Dortmund, over the field in a $1 tri. Just an example.

Yes, a $1 exacta box with three horses is $6 (3x2x1). You would go to the window and say, "Churchill Downs, race X (don't know off the top of my head, 12th maybe), $1 exacta box X-X-X (your three horses)." Same on a trifecta, to calculate bet costs in a boxed wager, take number of horses x number of horses -1 x number of horses -2 x wager ($1 or $2 usually). So for me, if I box 5 horses in a $2 tri, it would be 5x4x3x2 = $120.

Or, if you LOVE one or two of them, you could bet a tri wheel like: American Pharoah, over Carpe Diem and Dortmund, over the field in a $1 tri. Just an example.

Sounds good. I thought that was how it worked. I'm going to bet a couple of those.

If you do the same with a trifecta, I think it's a $24 bet.

After hitting a Trifecta in 2012, I want to do it again so bad haha! More to say I did than the money, but that would certainly be nice too lol

If you got the money to do it, box the entire field and hope a longshot comes through. You'll make bank.

Yes. In the last two Derbies, the winning exacta has been the favorite with a Dallas Stewart-trained longshot coming in second. Last year I believe the $2 exacta paid $360. Putting Pharaoh on top of the field in an exacta would cost $38, if my math is correct ... or $19 for a $1 exacta. Of course, Pharaoh would have to win the race.

^I don't think that's how it's calculated....If I'm not mistaken in a race with 20 horses you're looking at (20*19*2), which would be $760. $380 if you do a $1 exacta. No matter the order you win. You just need a longshot to win or place, or you'll lose money. Get two longshots to hit, and you're sitting pretty.

^I don't think that's how it's calculated....If I'm not mistaken in a race with 20 horses you're looking at (20*19*2), which would be $760. $380 if you do a $1 exacta. No matter the order you win. You just need a longshot to win or place, or you'll lose money. Get two longshots to hit, and you're sitting pretty.

If you're taking the favorite (No. 18) to win on top of the field in an exacta, that means there are only 19 possible combinations ... 18/1, 18/2 ... 18/19, 18/20. Two bucks for each bet X 19 = $38.

If you're taking the favorite (No. 18) to win on top of the field in an exacta, that means there are only 19 possible combinations ... 18/1, 18/2 ... 18/19, 18/20. Two bucks for each bet X 19 = $38.

Oh, then we were talking about 2 completely different bets.