Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Derek Anderson blasts Coach Cal

Featured Replies

No issue whatsoever with him voicing his opinion. I don't agree with him, but he's well within his rights to express what he believes.

 

To try and act like you didn't eviscerate Cal after the fact is a joke. Man up.

  • Replies 67
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 Final Fours in 5 years, including a national title, but he can't coach?

 

He probably should have had three national championships, but I digress...

He probably should have had three national championships, but I digress...

 

To stir the pot we can say 4 if you go back to his first season ;)

 

As to the comments, what gets me about those that critique coaching, they never act as if recruiting, motivation, and other non X and O thing are part of it. In that respect, Cal is great.

I listened to him when he was on the radio. He does make valid points about 1 & done. He is saying some of those guys have not made NBA rosters and would have done themselves good to stay in school and earn a degree. He also said the fact many kids dont get degrees if injury hits they have nothing to fall back on.

 

Lets face some of those guys that left should have stayed and would have benefitted the kid to stay.

He probably should have had three national championships, but I digress...

 

I would say he could have 3. The 1 & out format of the NCAA tournament has produced several champions that weren't really the best team, or one of the 2 or 3 best teams.

 

My point, though, is that there's no other coach with that track record over the last 5 years. Extend that to 10 years & Cal's accomplishments are still among the best in the game.

 

Anderson says: "If you’re going to coach these kids, let’s make them play the game the right way."

 

My response is: If Cal's not doing it the right way, which coach is doing it the right way?

Anderson says: "If you’re going to coach these kids, let’s make them play the game the right way."

 

My response is: If Cal's not doing it the right way, which coach is doing it the right way?

 

Everyone who used to play thinks that the right way is the old way and that just isn't the case. The game has evolved and changed. Coach Cal does a good job in my opinion of preparing these kids for their careers.

I listened to him when he was on the radio. He does make valid points about 1 & done. He is saying some of those guys have not made NBA rosters and would have done themselves good to stay in school and earn a degree. He also said the fact many kids dont get degrees if injury hits they have nothing to fall back on.

 

Lets face some of those guys that left should have stayed and would have benefitted the kid to stay.

 

I don't agree with that at all.

 

Each kids situation is different.

 

The guys who most would say should've came back were the twins and Dakari. All 3 of them will be at a minimum making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year for the next 10-12 years playing either in the NBA or overseas. Why exactly do they need a degree?

 

Booker, Lyles, WCS, and Towns are all 1st round locks. Guaranteed $1M+ a year, 3 year deals. Get to that 2nd contract earlier, so why should any of them have stayed in school?

 

Lets face some of those guys that left should have stayed and would have benefitted the kid to stay.

I can't say that for certain. Guys generally perform to their capabilities when things shake out. The gamble people from outside believe they need to take is to hang around another year or two, improve their skill set, and hope the draft class is not strong at their position so that they can move up slots in the draft. Meanwhile ignoring that these kids greatest earning potential comes the sooner they can get in the league, potential for injury, and not considering weaknesses may be exposed in college.

examples - Orton and Teague come to mind right off hand.

 

I am not a UK fan so I dont follow them that close. Think of all that have left how many are not on NBA rosters. Those are the ones I think DA is talking about earning a degree.

examples - Orton and Teague come to mind right off hand.

 

I am not a UK fan so I dont follow them that close. Think of all that have left how many are not on NBA rosters. Those are the ones I think DA is talking about earning a degree.

 

Yeah, getting a couple million guaranteed over 3 years is such a terrible decision.

examples - Orton and Teague come to mind right off hand.

 

I am not a UK fan so I dont follow them that close. Think of all that have left how many are not on NBA rosters. Those are the ones I think DA is talking about earning a degree.

 

But how do we know Cal was pushing those kids out the door? Sometimes these kids are hell-bent on leaving early.

Yeah, getting a couple million guaranteed over 3 years is such a terrible decision.

 

So would you rather have 3 million for just 3 years or a long NBA career - the most important contract in the NBA is that second one.

 

How much of that 3 million will that have left.

 

I know you can't disagree with a UK fan. Just throwing out why DA said what he said.

So would you rather have 3 million for just 3 years or a long NBA career - the most important contract in the NBA is that second one.

 

How much of that 3 million will that have left.

 

I know you can't disagree with a UK fan. Just throwing out why DA said what he said.

 

If you want to have an actual discussion about it, let's have one. Don't throw out crap like the bolded. Just makes you look uninformed, especially when the posters you're discussing it with are some of the most level-headed UK fans on the board.

But how do we know Cal was pushing those kids out the door? Sometimes these kids are hell-bent on leaving early.

 

He didn't push either out the door. He wanted both to come back.

So would you rather have 3 million for just 3 years or a long NBA career - the most important contract in the NBA is that second one.

 

How much of that 3 million will that have left.

 

I know you can't disagree with a UK fan. Just throwing out why DA said what he said.

This has nothing to do with being a UK fan. A (irrational) UK fan would be oblivious and concerned with every player coming back every season.

 

The problem with your scenario is that you paint it too simplistic. Orton/Teague stay in school = a long NBA career. If that were the case everyone would do it. The average life span of an NBA player is less than 3 years I believe. More guys than people realize from first round of NBA drafts wind up in the D-League.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.