Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Derek Anderson blasts Coach Cal

Featured Replies

Of course there are years when people can say the best team didn't win. Cal has had the best team in the country, speaking in terms of talent, since 2012 (sans 2013). I'm not sure there are many who would debate that. They lost this year to a team FAR less talented, but lost because of poor game planning. Wisky exploited UK's bad decisions on defense and Cal didn't adjust.

 

They lost to a UConn team who Pitino and Co. beat by FORTY POINTS only two weeks prior. Why? UK didn't pressure the guards.

 

 

 

No other coach has that track record because no other coach has had that caliber of player. Give Izzo, Krzyzewski, Pitino, Boeheim etc that roster, what do you think the results are? The same, worse, or better?

 

 

 

In terms of playing the game the right way, I'm not sure what DA is referencing. I don't see anything wrong with the style Calipari plays, other than sometimes I think it's obvious that it's a "roll the ball out there and see what happens" kind of offense. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. But you have to be able to adjust when it doesn't.

Not picking on you, but I have to comment on this. I am gonna guess that about 99% of the posters on this site have never coached a day in their life. Maybe you have, I don't know. But.......what I do know is that, unlike the many uninformed observers on here, athletes are NOT puppets and robots, sometimes they do NOT execute what you instruct or tell them. And, as far as pressuring UCONN's guards, who were they going to pressure them with? They twins? It's all about matchups and execution.
  • Replies 67
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think all of Anderson's comment are wrong on the one and done's. I don't think Cal pushes anyone out. If you are a certain first round pick, you should leave IMO.

 

I do question Cal in game coaching and I think it is ok to question Cal on that. I am sure Cal has reviewed and questioned his own moves. This year, I think Cal made a big mistake not getting more minutes for Booker and Ulis in the final 10 minutes versus Wisconsin. He changed up the way he had coached all year and I don't know why.

 

I don't agree with the comments on the U Conn game. Personally, I don't think UK's guards were capable of pressuring U Conn's. Cal knew that and that is why he didn't do it. Sometimes it is just a bad matchup or a bad day.

Bingo!!
If you are a certain first round pick, you should leave IMO.

 

If I was a first round pick or if my son was, I'd most likely encourage them to leave early if the opportunity was there.

 

Having said that, kids should do what they want to do.

Having said that, kids should do what they want to do.

 

Which is the problem with the one and done rule to begin with, because some of the elite talent cannot.

If my math is correct Adolph Rupp went to 2 Final Fours in his last 21 seasons at UK. He lost in the regional final 8 times in that span. I think we have it pretty good in Lexington right now.

Not picking on you, but I have to comment on this. I am gonna guess that about 99% of the posters on this site have never coached a day in their life. Maybe you have, I don't know. But.......what I do know is that, unlike the many uninformed observers on here, athletes are NOT puppets and robots, sometimes they do NOT execute what you instruct or tell them. And, as far as pressuring UCONN's guards, who were they going to pressure them with? They twins? It's all about matchups and execution.

 

About players not executing, fair enough. Take them out of the game... Don't let them continue to make the same mistakes. How is that beneficial?

 

To UConn, there was nothing different they could have done to contain their guards? Nothing? They were going to lose that game regardless, is that what you're saying?

If my math is correct Adolph Rupp went to 2 Final Fours in his last 21 seasons at UK. He lost in the regional final 8 times in that span. I think we have it pretty good in Lexington right now.

 

To be honest in his last 15 years Rupp probably only had two teams that could have won the National Title. (The Runts in '66 and Dan Issel in '70)

 

In Joe Hall's 13 year career I would say the teams he had that Could have won the National Title were 1975, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1984. That's five times legitimately in the hunt out of 13 years. Tubby had maybe 3 or 4.

 

Cal has put them in a place to have won the title 5 out of 6 years. In a win or go home tourney that is pretty good. (FWIW I think 2014 was a great run and they were not one of the best teams that year but when you get to the final, you have to give them a chance. :thumb:)

About players not executing, fair enough. Take them out of the game... Don't let them continue to make the same mistakes. How is that beneficial?

 

To UConn, there was nothing different they could have done to contain their guards? Nothing? They were going to lose that game regardless, is that what you're saying?

 

To be honest, UK's guards could not keep up with UConn's in that game. It was a bad matchup going in and I think I said that on this board and other places that weekend. Young and the Harrison's are slow footed on defense.

 

But the X Factor was not having WCS to help defend the paint from the leapers on the Huskie Front Line.

To UConn, there was nothing different they could have done to contain their guards? Nothing? They were going to lose that game regardless, is that what you're saying?

 

Not exactly answering your question, but I'd imagine that if they had their shot blocker (WCS) then they could have pressured their guards more.

 

Edit: I see @Hatz beat me to it.

About players not executing, fair enough. Take them out of the game... Don't let them continue to make the same mistakes. How is that beneficial?

 

To UConn, there was nothing different they could have done to contain their guards? Nothing? They were going to lose that game regardless, is that what you're saying?

Hatz pretty much answered it for me. But, as far as taking them out.......who does he replace them with? For all of the great talent that Cal, Pitino, Izzo, K, Ryan, etc....bring to their programs, that talent has flaws.
  • Author
Well, in Orton's case, it was a great decision. He blew out his knee in his 1st or 2nd year in the league. He does that at Kentucky and bye-bye millions.

 

They're both playing professionally still. Both have made millions of dollars. Both will be just fine. And if basketball doesn't work out for them, they'll be able to go back and finish school to get a degree with the money they made professionally.

 

Orton was thrown out of the Phillipines league for bashing Manny Pacquiao and he is blackballed from all UK contacts. I wouldn't use him as an example.

Orton was thrown out of the Phillipines league for bashing Manny Pacquiao and he is blackballed from all UK contacts. I wouldn't use him as an example.

 

Still doesn't make his decision to leave a bad one. He without question went about it the wrong way though.

  • Author
I think he's the second best basketball coach right now, behind only K. A few other coaches, including Pitino & Izzo, have overall careers that are equal to or better than Cal's. But since he came to UK, it's Coach K & then him.

 

I'm sure there are other coaches who are better at X's & O's than Cal. But I know there's no other coach in all of basketball, other than K, who can boast his UK resume.

 

Greatest post in this forum ever. See? That's why I love this dude. We think exactly alike. Preach!!!!!!

 

#teamRandyParker #whoisGetslow

  • Author
Still doesn't make his decision to leave a bad one. He without question went about it the wrong way though.

 

Orton would have done himself a whole lot of good coming back. Had he stayed one more year he would have been drafted higher because he would have beaten out Harrelson for the starting job. He wouldn't have burnt bridges at UK because he would have still been going to class. I can't help but believe that had he stayed at UK for one more year he'd be in a much much better position other than eating at Burger King with his pops.

 

#justsaying

If he wanted to criticize Cal I would have went after the 3 straight shot clock violations not the UCONN game.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.