30 for 30: I Still Hate Laettner

3Goggles

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really believe that? Lew Alcindor, Bill Walton, Larry Bird, Elvin Hayes, Patrick Ewing, Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, Bill Russell, Elgin Baylor, Pete Maravich, David Thompson? You think he was greater than all but five of the above?

I think he was a great collegian as well, but not Top Five great. (BTW, I didn't include anyone who didn't fulfill their time and eligibility. Some were allowed to only play three years and others four but all finished as Seniors)

"Arguably". And I do not think it is that much of a reach considering what he accomplished.

"Arguably". And I do not think it is that much of a reach considering what he accomplished.

I felt his teams were very successful and he was a big part. But without Grant Hill I don't think they win either of those titles

I guess I'm one of the few UK fans who don't care about him. Glad I was too young to remember that.

I was too young as well, but I think its awesome how he's embraced it and signs crap for UK fans or poses like he's stomping on UK fans.

I would have loved to have him on my team.

I am interested.

To be honest , I think it is bad karma with this show being released when it is. I could see it going hocus pocus on UK and delivering the title to Duke. I believe in crap like that though.

As long as Bette Midler isn't singing the halftime show, I like Kentucky's chances.

A few things after reading the thread....

-I think Laettner is a charismatic funny dude. I do not hate him personally, I hate that he made that shot that has forever made me sick LOL. I'll probably give it a watch because I think he is entertaining.

-I simply disagree with the notion that Duke is more hated than UK. Seems like a silly thing to argue about, but when your team is good, especially 30-0 good people want you to lose. Other fan bases are jealous, and think that Cal is a cheater. I believe Cal is the most polarizing figure in NCAA Men's basketball. Duke hasn't been as hated as Cal since the JJ Reddick days IMO.

He's the best college basketball player of my lifetime IMO.

Hated him prior to the UK game in 1992, but hated him way more after it. But the last few years or so, I'm with DragonFire. He's embraced his role as a villain and I find him very entertaining.

Every single UK fan will watch this,tape it and watch it multiple times. They will watch everything that pertains to Duke past and present. If the tables were turned and Richie Farmer had stomped a Dukie and had the game that Laetnner had, I guarantee you that you would have to go on YouTube to find footage. It's called Duke obsession. Every UK fan has this show DVR'd, as well as the Duke-UNC game on Saturday.

Also, let's just look at it in a statewide format for starters. UNC, North Carolina State, Wake Forest, everyone in North Carolina hates Duke. In Kentucky, UL hates UK. Murray State, Morehead, EKU, WKU, Campbellsville, Pikeville....everybody loves UK.

You will never,ever convince anyone of that. Had one guy say on here that professional teams like the Patriots,Yankees,Cowboys,etc.,etc. were way more hated nationwide than Duke, but like you said, Duke is hated in their OWN State, as well as nationwide. Everyone in Boston loves the Patriots, Texas loves the Cowboys,etc., but it is like politics and arguing Republican vs. Democrat, people are set and found out a long time ago you are wasting your breath or typing fingers trying to change opinions.

You will never,ever convince anyone of that. Had one guy say on here that professional teams like the Patriots,Yankees,Cowboys,etc.,etc. were way more hated nationwide than Duke, but like you said, Duke is hated in their OWN State, as well as nationwide. Everyone in Boston loves the Patriots, Texas loves the Cowboys,etc., but it is like politics and arguing Republican vs. Democrat, people are set and found out a long time ago you are wasting your breath or typing fingers trying to change opinions.

You think Duke is hated more than some of the pro teams you listed?