March 5, 201511 yr I was doing some research and came across this article. I think it is from Dec 2013. It made me chuckle. UK Replacing Duke as CBB?s Most Hated - Lost Lettermen
March 6, 201511 yr I got over Laettner years ago, actually when we got our revenge in '98. I consider the game part of CBB lore, now, and am proud UK was part of it.
March 11, 201511 yr Listening to Laettner promoting the new 30 for 30 on Mike and Mike. Is it me, or does he sound like Steven Segal in all his cheesy (by cheesy, I mean awesome) movies?
March 11, 201511 yr Do you really believe that? Lew Alcindor, Bill Walton, Larry Bird, Elvin Hayes, Patrick Ewing, Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, Bill Russell, Elgin Baylor, Pete Maravich, David Thompson? You think he was greater than all but five of the above? I think he was a great collegian as well, but not Top Five great. (BTW, I didn't include anyone who didn't fulfill their time and eligibility. Some were allowed to only play three years and others four but all finished as Seniors) I would have a hard time not including him in the top 10 or so. He helped lead his team to 4 consecutive final fours. Played in 3 straight championships, and won 2. I still hate the guy, but he was a heck of a college ball player.
March 11, 201511 yr I try not to throw the word hate around much but Laettner would be a candidate. Actually whoever the Ref that didn't kick Laettner out long before "the shot" is at the top of my list.That "Stomp" on a U.K. Player's chest was blatant ! All Laettner did was hit a not to impossible of a shot and Pitino should have had 1. someone on the ball when taking it out and 2. A defender fronting Laettner. Anyway, I think that I have let the whole thing go .... took me quite a while though.
March 11, 201511 yr Every single UK fan will watch this,tape it and watch it multiple times. They will watch everything that pertains to Duke past and present. If the tables were turned and Richie Farmer had stomped a Dukie and had the game that Laetnner had, I guarantee you that you would have to go on YouTube to find footage. It's called Duke obsession. Every UK fan has this show DVR'd, as well as the Duke-UNC game on Saturday. Incorrect, but you already knew that.
March 11, 201511 yr ^ I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I remember playing Duke in my lifetime. I don't care very much about them or about the "rivalry". I have no reason to hate them or care about them much. 1 of those games was part of the comeback Cats season which is a great memory.
March 11, 201511 yr Every single UK fan will watch this,tape it and watch it multiple times. They will watch everything that pertains to Duke past and present. If the tables were turned and Richie Farmer had stomped a Dukie and had the game that Laetnner had, I guarantee you that you would have to go on YouTube to find footage. It's called Duke obsession. Every UK fan has this show DVR'd, as well as the Duke-UNC game on Saturday. Watched the whole UNC vs. Duke game because I enjoy watching good college games. I do have this documentary DVR'd. I enjoy watching documentaries about college basketball and don't miss 30 For 30's. I think there's a large % of Kentucky fans who will watch but their motive will be just like me.
March 11, 201511 yr I would have a hard time not including him in the top 10 or so. He helped lead his team to 4 consecutive final fours. Played in 3 straight championships, and won 2. I still hate the guy, but he was a heck of a college ball player. I agree he was too. But in the above: *Lew Alcindor was 3-3. Three titles out of three chances. *Bill Walton was 2-3. Two titles out of three tries in Final Four. *Patrick Ewing was 1-3. Three final Fours and two plays from 3-3. *David Thompson was 1-1. He also played on the '73 unbeaten NC State team. (On probation) and Player of the Year in '75. *Larry Bird took a nothing team on his back to the Championship Game and 31-1 record. *Elgin Baylor took a nothing Seattle team to the National Title Game in '58. *Oscar Robertson went to three final fours but lost in the semi-finals all three times. *Pete Maravich's scoring is legendary. His teams weren't. *Elvin Hayes went to two Final Fours and lost to Alcindor both times. But were the only team to beat UCLA in '68. *Bill Russell was 2-2 and an undefeated season in '56. Remember all the above (except Bird) played with only three years of eligibility.
March 11, 201511 yr I try not to throw the word hate around much but Laettner would be a candidate. Actually whoever the Ref that didn't kick Laettner out long before "the shot" is at the top of my list.That "Stomp" on a U.K. Player's chest was blatant ! All Laettner did was hit a not to impossible of a shot and Pitino should have had 1. someone on the ball when taking it out and 2. A defender fronting Laettner. Anyway, I think that I have let the whole thing go .... took me quite a while though. I thought Pelphrey fronted him but was only 6'7" and not a leaper. He fell in behind Laettner when he jumped and couldn't get it.
March 12, 201511 yr I thought Pelphrey fronted him but was only 6'7" and not a leaper. He fell in behind Laettner when he jumped and couldn't get it. Yes it looked like he was going to / supposed to but got there late. Wasn't in front of him if I remember correctly, more to the side and would have had to reach across him to get to the ball. Anyway, there is no doubt that we will see it replayed approx. 1,000 times thru the tourney adds so we can see. :lol2:
March 12, 201511 yr I try not to throw the word hate around much but Laettner would be a candidate. Actually whoever the Ref that didn't kick Laettner out long before "the shot" is at the top of my list.That "Stomp" on a U.K. Player's chest was blatant ! All Laettner did was hit a not to impossible of a shot and Pitino should have had 1. someone on the ball when taking it out and 2. A defender fronting Laettner. Anyway, I think that I have let the whole thing go .... took me quite a while though. I know many hate Laettner and he should have been kicked out of the game IMO. However, "all Laettner did" was take 20 shots in that game (10 from the field and 10 from the line) and make EVERY ONE...and hit an incredibly tough pressure packed final shot for the win. You can hate him all you want but he played one of the great games in NCAA Tourney history that day.
March 12, 201511 yr I agree he was too. But in the above: *Lew Alcindor was 3-3. Three titles out of three chances. *Bill Walton was 2-3. Two titles out of three tries in Final Four. *Patrick Ewing was 1-3. Three final Fours and two plays from 3-3. *David Thompson was 1-1. He also played on the '73 unbeaten NC State team. (On probation) and Player of the Year in '75. *Larry Bird took a nothing team on his back to the Championship Game and 31-1 record. *Elgin Baylor took a nothing Seattle team to the National Title Game in '58. *Oscar Robertson went to three final fours but lost in the semi-finals all three times. *Pete Maravich's scoring is legendary. His teams weren't. *Elvin Hayes went to two Final Fours and lost to Alcindor both times. But were the only team to beat UCLA in '68. *Bill Russell was 2-2 and an undefeated season in '56. Remember all the above (except Bird) played with only three years of eligibility. ESPN did a top 100 college basketball players ever and I think Laettner finished around the low teens. I'm thinking 13. I was upset, hot, ESPN is the devil.....and then I saw what a lot of folks on this list did to be above him and I quietly and quickly agreed. Especially with Larry Bird and Kareem and Bill Walton.
March 12, 201511 yr I still say the 'stomp' on Timberlake was overblown. He put his foot on his chest in a physical manner but to me that's not a stomp. A stomp breaks a rib or at least has intent to injure. That was intent to intimidate after being aggravated. The technical was the right call and I don't believe in today's game that is soft as Charmin that he would be tossed from the game for that act.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.