Pitching advice

That is correct..its just a different grip on the ball and the motion doesnt change...if you can teach it will keep kids off balance when mixed with the fastball...

:thumb:

I taught a bunch of 8 year olds a "palm ball" and it works beautifully. It's very easy for them to throw. Same concept, just put the ball back in your hand instead of on your fingertips.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

You still teaching drop and drive?

Yes....for some of the taller players, full extension and over-striding.

The key is conditioning the arm, especially the young arm (9-12) at an early age via bands or tubes. Avoid weights, unless they are related to Jobe exercises and are 5lbs, or less.

Stretching and flexibility, to more to help young arms recover than most realize. Emphasis the "Drop and Drive" to youth age pitchers, since their mound heights are only 6". Utilize the lower body, legs and hips. The arm slot for youth age, should be over the top on both fastball and change-ups.

Your site mentions teaching a changeup. That is different than a curve and will not strain their arm, correct?
A change I teach to young players (9-12), is the 3 finger change. It is thrown just like a fastball, except deeper in the hand and touching the web between the thumb and first finger.

Upon release, the fingers come off the ball, up....like when you would hold your palm out and make a "stop" motion with your hand.

Yes....for some of the taller players, full extension and over-striding.

The key is conditioning the arm, especially the young arm (9-12) at an early age via bands or tubes. Avoid weights, unless they are related to Jobe exercises and are 5lbs, or less.

Stretching and flexibility, to more to help young arms recover than most realize. Emphasis the "Drop and Drive" to youth age pitchers, since their mound heights are only 6". Utilize the lower body, legs and hips. The arm slot for youth age, should be over the top on both fastball and change-ups.

You're old...:lol:

You're old...:lol:
....:D Remember now, this is youth age players. I believe you would agree, the Drop and Drive is still a could pitching mechanic for kids this age to learn.

As the body grows and the arm matures, more techniques can be adopted.

....:D Remember now, this is youth age players. I believe you would agree, the Drop and Drive is still a could pitching mechanic for kids this age to learn.

I know, I just don't like the strain it puts on ones shoulder. Regardless of baseball philosphy...you are old.:lol:

hard for sticky to understand anything that involves maturity. :D

Lots of good stuff from others. I think lots of books and/or videos can help you in visualizing what you want to get across. Plus, everyone uses somewhat different language to describe similar points and the more you research & study it, the more you will soak up - the AhHa moment!

Remember KISS with kids! Focus on the basics and don't complicate it for you & them both. One point I think is important is whether the player has a parent or adult working with them or influencing them. You need to be on the same page so try to co-op the parent or educate them if need be. That way the player is getting good reinforcement from all involved.

In my experience the taller, gangly, less coordinated kids will have a harder time getting their mechanics down so be patient and encouraging.

I'm big on not having little ones/weaker arms have to change their motion or mechanics to "get the ball there" - it just creates bad habits that must be changed. If they want to start practicing pitching mechanics I move a plate up to a distance where they can get it over "with" good pitching form.

Some stress a windup and others begin with a stretch position(even though there is no leading off in LL). From the stretch they can just pick their knee up and stride to the plate. Windup can feel overwhelming for them at first but it just takes time. :sssh:

As noted, balance is important. I have them pick up their knee so that its pointed at 3rd base (for right handers) and their shoulders are lined up pointing at the target (catchers mitt). Let them practice just picking the knee up & turning their shoulder - see if they can stop & balance at that point! Talk about drawing a line through their shoulders to the mitt and the striding out just to the left of that line. This allows the hips to open up and the arm/shoulder to come through.

[you can have the player stand directly behind you as you demonstrate how the hips lock up IF you stride to the right of that imaginary line. If you stride too far to the left of the imaginary line it can open up the hips too quick and drag the shoulder/arm through. You can also show them they have a better chance of throwing strikes if they keep everything on a straight line to the plate with just up/down variance INSTEAD of dropping down to 3/4 or sidearm where you have to "catch the strikezone" sideways as the ball is on a more parallel plane]

Lastly (for now) I stress keeping the elbow as high as the shoulder with the hand (ideally) more or less straight up forming an "L' shape. Everyone is different and has a "natural" throwing slot so don't freak out if some are lower than others. I do STRESS that when the elbow drops down BELOW the shoulder then the stress is being placed on the elbow. Neither joint is designed to throw a baseball, but the shoulder is the stronger part of the body, so keep the elbow up IMO. The first thing you'll usually notice when a pitcher gets tired is he starts dropping that elbow when he throws.

Sorry if I duplicated others or confused you in any way.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Cheers, Woody Jr

DO NOT LET THEM THROW CURVEBALLS. :madman:

I coached the same age kids this past fall, and it was a blast. The only downside at that age are the parents. There will be at least one parent trying to get his kid to throw at curveball. Make sure you tell them loud and clear that when you have them on the field, no-one will be throwing curveballs. As mentioned above, off speed pitches are the key to being successfull at that age. You'll be surprised, there are kids at that age with movement on their fastball. We had one on our team.

• 2 weeks later...
LBBC, How's this going?

Going to be a long season.

Last night in practice, a pitcher bounced a ball in front of the plate, batter bent to try and hit it and the ball bounced up and hit him right in the nose/eye. He had 6 red stitch marks on his nose where the ball hit him. We thought it was broken but doctor's report said no.

Trying to get them to consistently hit that release point is difficult. They are wild. Maybe one strike in every 4-5 pitches. I feel like Don Gullett.:eek:

Going to be a long season.

Last night in practice, a pitcher bounced a ball in front of the plate, batter bent to try and hit it and the ball bounced up and hit him right in the nose/eye. He had 6 red stitch marks on his nose where the ball hit him. We thought it was broken but doctor's report said no.

Trying to get them to consistently hit that release point is difficult. They are wild. Maybe one strike in every 4-5 pitches. I feel like Don Gullett.:eek:

Maybe some of those kids are really left handed and vice-versa.