Pitching advice

I was given the responsibility to help the pitchers on my son's Little League (9 to 11 years old) team. I have no clue anything about pitching.

What should be a good workout in a practice? How many throws in a practice should they be limited to?

How should they hold the ball? Where should their release be? Should they come straight over the top, sidearm, 3/4's?

What are some drills to have them work on consistency in throwing strikes?

Can someone help me cause I cannot stand through another batting practice where 1 out of every 10 pitches is a strike?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing to do is to make sure the kids pick a "sight point" on the catcher and throw through that point. To hit spots you could use left knee, right knee, left shoulder or right shoulder. If they're not that advanced have them throw at the catchers mask. Make sure it's a constant though, don't say mitt when every other pitch your catcher doesn't give a target. For the most part, the body of the catcher won't move much but his glove will. I like the philospohy of throwing on an "L" but I'm sure you're not there yet.

If it's their first time out for the year I'd limit them to 25-30 pitches. (ALWAYS ALL FASTBALLS) 14 is my age before you can throw breaking pitches. It's very easy to teach a kid a "palm ball" at that age, if you so choose. Most have bigger fish to fry at that point. Every time they throw you can increase their pitch count between 3-5 pitches.

Don't think you'd have anyone that throws hard enough to get movement on a pitch but always have them throw a 4-seam fastball. Actually, in the field and on the mound. The extra resistance from all 4 seams turning over reduces the chance the ball will "tail" on you.

Everyone has a different "arm slot". I'm not a fan of sidearm and can deal with 3/4's. The main thing here is consistency. If they throw over top they need to always throw over top.

Something that cannot be shown on here is proper mechanics. Everything from balance to hip explosion is something that must be taught and taught properly. Some little things for those guys would be to make sure they land on their toe when extending. This makes sure they're not leaning back and their shoulders are headed towards the plate when releasing the ball. Also, you should be able to draw a straight line from the end of the plant foot to the catcher's mitt. If it's closed they're throwing across their body, if it's open they're probably throwing high.

That's all...for now.

I like the philospohy of throwing on an "L" but I'm sure you're not there yet.

Don't think you'd have anyone that throws hard enough to get movement on a pitch but always have them throw a 4-seam fastball. Actually, in the field and on the mound. The extra resistance from all 4 seams turning over reduces the chance the ball will "tail" on you.

That's all...for now.

We haven't made it through the first 11 letters of the alphabet, yet.

Thanks for the information. When you say 4 seams, is that the first two fingers ACROSS the two seams?

We haven't made it through the first 11 letters of the alphabet, yet.

Thanks for the information. When you say 4 seams, is that the first two fingers ACROSS the two seams?

Look at the ball to the left, in my avatar. Your two fingers should go across the right side of the ball. Where the seams "circle" not where they are closest together and are parallel (Or to the left of the ball in my avatar.) In other words, when a ball is "tumbling" towards the plate...you want all 4 seams to turn, not just two.

Look at the ball to the left, in my avatar. Your two fingers should go across the right side of the ball. Where the seams "circle" not where they are closest together and are parallel (Or to the left of the ball in my avatar.) In other words, when a ball is "tumbling" towards the plate...you want all 4 seams to turn, not just two.

Should your fingers be on the seams at all?

Interesting that in so many sports, the balls for youth are different. But is the size of a baseball any different for the kids hands compared to the baseball for a major leaguer?

Should your fingers be on the seams at all?

Interesting that in so many sports, the balls for youth are different. But is the size of a baseball any different for the kids hands compared to the baseball for a major leaguer?

That's preference. I always thought it was more comfortable with my two fingers using the seams for leverage. I've never been asked that question but I guess you could not use the seams, as long as you're still throwing a 4-seamer.

Nope, same size from t-ball to major leagues. 5 oz. in weight, 9 in. in diameter.

That's preference. I always thought it was more comfortable with my two fingers using the seams for leverage. I've never been asked that question but I guess you could not use the seams, as long as you're still throwing a 4-seamer.

Nope, same size from t-ball to major leagues. 5 oz. in weight, 9 in. in diameter.

Thanks very much for the information. It gives me somewhere to start.

Baseball size is interesting.

Keep the pitch count limits, to what Sticky indicated. Teach players the "4-seam" and "2-seam fastball grips.

DO NOT teach a grip curve or any movement, which would put stress on the rotator cuff or elbow. Have pitchers learn "change-ups", as their off-speed pitch.

Keep the motion simplified, with the pitcher not taking his hand above his face/head, but rather keeping them at his chest. Have the pitcher toe the rubber with both feet and when he begins his turn, the plant foot is in front of the rubber, with contact to drive off/push. When the knee is coming up, have the drive toe pointing down and not parallel with the ground. Than have the player bring his knee up to his waist and extend his foot forward, with almost a chopping motion down. As the player begins the chopping motion downward, his/her throwing arm should already be coiled behind the back (stress pinching the shoulder blades together), this will force the young pitcher to get the arm back in the "coiled" slot.

As the opposite leg drives down and the throwing arm starts to come through the slot, the chest should be pointing directly toward the catcher. Push off with the back foot and follow-thru, with the throwing leg finishing slightly ahead of the non-throwing leg and in a fielding position. The throwing hand, should be near or touching, the non-throwing knee.

Limit pitch counts during the game and have players work on pitching mechanics, by using the "towel drill" instead of throwing a baseball. This give instant feedback to arm angle, slot and motion.

In practice have them throw on the side, 25-30 pitches and about 50%-60% of maximum speed but working on mechanics. This can be done daily, providing when loosening up, they are not throwing 75-80 pitches to prepare for practice.

Have a structured practice plan, pitch limits and always have an adult supervising the pitching mechanics, along with the various stations of practice. I have several good practice routines, I will email you my friend.

Keep the pitch count limits, to what Sticky indicated. Teach players the "4-seam" and "2-seam fastball grips.

DO NOT teach a grip curve or any movement, which would put stress on the rotator cuff or elbow. Have pitchers learn "change-ups", as their off-speed pitch.

Keep the motion simplified, with the pitcher not taking his hand above his face/head, but rather keeping them at his chest. Have the pitcher toe the rubber with both feet and when he begins his turn, the plant foot is in front of the rubber, with contact to drive off/push. When the knee is coming up, have the drive toe pointing down and not parallel with the ground. Than have the player bring his knee up to his waist and extend his foot forward, with almost a chopping motion down. As the player begins the chopping motion downward, his/her throwing arm should already be coiled behind the back (stress pinching the shoulder blades together), this will force the young pitcher to get the arm back in the "coiled" slot.

As the opposite leg drives down and the throwing arm starts to come through the slot, the chest should be pointing directly toward the catcher. Push off with the back foot and follow-thru, with the throwing leg finishing slightly ahead of the non-throwing leg and in a fielding position. The throwing hand, should be near or touching, the non-throwing knee.

Limit pitch counts during the game and have players work on pitching mechanics, by using the "towel drill" instead of throwing a baseball. This give instant feedback to arm angle, slot and motion.

In practice have them throw on the side, 25-30 pitches and about 50%-60% of maximum speed but working on mechanics. This can be done daily, providing when loosening up, they are not throwing 75-80 pitches to prepare for practice.

Have a structured practice plan, pitch limits and always have an adult supervising the pitching mechanics, along with the various stations of practice. I have several good practice routines, I will email you my friend.

Thank you, sir. I have printed them out and will give them a good study.

Hey,

You still teaching drop and drive?

Your site mentions teaching a changeup. That is different than a curve and will not strain their arm, correct?

That is correct..its just a different grip on the ball and the motion doesnt change...if you can teach it will keep kids off balance when mixed with the fastball...