Lexington Catholic 55 Dunbar 51

And yes, I know he only finished with 19, but I don't know if having a guy lead the game in scoring is really "playing into your hands" in such a close one.

Hollingsworth is talented and I'd imagine that he'd play quite a bit for any school in the 11th hands down, Catholic included.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 11th insider
And yes, I know he only finished with 19, but I don't know if having a guy lead the game in scoring is really "playing into your hands" in such a close one.

Hollingsworth is talented and I'd imagine that he'd play quite a bit for any school in the 11th hands down, Catholic included.

Seriously. The kid is a top 5 kid in the region so yes I think he probably plays quite a bit for any school in the region! Come on, nobody said the kid couldn't play. He is really really good. Just trying to get a little balance here. Catholic wins a great hard fought region semi and your post still talk about Dunbar like they won. .

Seriously. The kid is a top 5 kid in the region so yes I think he probably plays quite a bit for any school in the region! Come on, nobody said the kid couldn't play. He is really really good. Just trying to get a little balance here. Catholic wins a great hard fought region semi and your post still talk about Dunbar like they won.

Like I did in the opening of Post #12, or like I did in Post #8 ?

He had 17 in the first half. If you go up and get fouled on the shot, it's still an attempt. How many do you think he converted at the line if he was 6 of 19 overall on the game but had 17 at halftime?

I don't really know if I'd call a comeback win inside of 2 minutes "playing into someone's hands" necessarily. That's kind of discrediting Dunbar.

If you are fouled on a shot and don't make the basket it is not counted as an attempt.

I try to be as complimentary as possible to each and every kid in the 11th. Tonight was Dunbar's last game, they lost a heartbreaker, and I tried to put it in perspective in Post #5 .

Lexington Catholic plays on and I'll be talking about them more and hyping each game. If the roles were reversed and they'd lost tonight, I'd be trying to remind everyone of what kind of career their seniors like Johnson, Griffin, Talbott, and Ryan had, and would have been hyping up Dunbar before their next one.

Guest 11th insider
I try to be as complimentary as possible to each and every kid in the 11th. Tonight was Dunbar's last game, they lost a heartbreaker, and I tried to put it in perspective in Post #5 .

Lexington Catholic plays on and I'll be talking about them more and hyping each game. If the roles were reversed and they'd lost tonight, I'd be trying to remind everyone of what kind of career their seniors like Johnson, Griffin, Talbott, and Ryan had, and would have been hyping up Dunbar before their next one.

Fair enough. Point taken. No worries

Fair enough. Point taken. No worries

Same. I probably was slighting Catholic by not talking more about them in the game thread. I think they are kind of easy to overlook or take for granted sometimes when you are following the 11th really closely year after year just because they are so consistent and it's just expected that they go out and do their thing and a surprise when they don't.

As a friend and I were discussing this morning, Catholic just knows how to win. They don't get sped up and make bad decisions even if they're trailing late. They don't force a bunch of bad shots and no one tries to be the hero.

As far as everyone saying Dunbar will run the district next year, I'm not so sure. Catholic has some really talented young kids and just because they graduate good players does not change the system they play. Catholic will always run good sets, press in the full court and have multiple shooters.

Dunbar, Station or Henry Clay should dominate the city with the athletes they have but for whatever reasons, they don't.

As a friend and I were discussing this morning, Catholic just knows how to win. They don't get sped up and make bad decisions even if they're trailing late. They don't force a bunch of bad shots and no one tries to be the hero.

As far as everyone saying Dunbar will run the district next year, I'm not so sure. Catholic has some really talented young kids and just because they graduate good players does not change the system they play. Catholic will always run good sets, press in the full court and have multiple shooters.

Dunbar, Station or Henry Clay should dominate the city with the athletes they have but for whatever reasons, they don't.

True statement and correct me if I am wrong. The reason those teams you mentioned don't dominate like they should is because they are not discipline players to play a system. They are more a " Me, Me, Me " type players. You look at Lex Catholic, Lafayette, they don't have the GREAT athletes, but they have enough players that buys into the program/ system and they make it work. Which shows when they advance on to the regional and who goes further in the tournament.

I think Brandon Salsman and that coaching staff deserve a lot of the credit. Specifically whomever came up with the defensive game plan. Hollingsworth got most of his points in transition. Williams for the most part was held in check. Lex Cath played great defense in the half court and competed on the backboard. That is why they won. Hats off to them.

Dunbar is going to be an absolute bear next year. Id be shocked if they aren't pre-season top 5 in the state.

Great high school basketball game!!!!!!! That was a region final type game. Looking forward to LCA lafayette tonight. Should be another war.

Very true statement. Lex Cath always seems to be poised.

I think there will be a little drop off next year for Lex Cath. Almost has to be with losing the amount of players they are this year. I know what you are saying though. they are always competitive. year in and year out.

True statement and correct me if I am wrong. The reason those teams you mentioned don't dominate like they should is because they are not discipline players to play a system. They are more a " Me, Me, Me " type players. You look at Lex Catholic, Lafayette, they don't have the GREAT athletes, but they have enough players that buys into the program/ system and they make it work. Which shows when they advance on to the regional and who goes further in the tournament.

Couldn't disagree more. LexCath has had plenty of athletes on their teams when they have advanced to the Sweet 16 and they are year in and year out one of the top 3 talented teams in the 11th Region.

Off the top of my head I can't recall when Lafayette was a threat other than last season.