Scott, Dixie and Simon Kenton Athlete Parents - Terry Cox Cruey

HoopsLady

Tom Arnzen is one of the most stand up guys in Northern Kentucky and if anyone knows him they don't really make guys much more competitive than the Arnzen boys, with that said, I thought it was a good response.

Whether you agree or disagree with the Kenton County policy or not, here's my take on part of the argument:

If your student athlete, at this point in the basketball season, has not had 20+ letters and at least 5 calls or visits from a school / coach with one of those being a second or follow up.....they are not getting FULL RIDE STATUS, period.

A week off school at the end of the season does not significantly diminish conditioning (which they should be doing on their own anyway), skill or exposure.....

A visit to Rupp or Diddle will not overcome the lack of interest during the season for your kid. They either are or they aren't...period.

It's time to stop being delusional and enjoy what is left of your son / daughter high school sporting career, trust me, you will miss it when it's gone and the Kenton County policies will have nothing to do with what you feel then.

Well said. Missing this past week (whether it's games or practice) will have zero effect on whether a kid gets a ride or not. Scholarships are earned based on physical measurables and the body of work over the entire high school career, and what they do or don't do over the next couple of weeks won't change much if anything as to where they stand in the eyes of college coaches/scouts. Athletes will not suddenly become out of shape by missing a couple games and a a couple of days of practice, especially at the end of the season, where conditioning is not nearly as big a focus in practice anyway. Only 16 basketball teams will make it to Rupp, and nearly every team in the state has been faced with cancellations, so really the playing field is pretty even, and I don't think an extra day of practice or two gives anyone a significant competitive advantage. As a coach, I do hate to miss practice, and yes, this is a frustrating situation. But this is really making a mountain out of a mole hill.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with a clear policy of no school due to weather, then all other activities canceled. Like previously stated, insurance issues, teen driving issues etc. Fall sports miss practices due to thunderstorms and heat index problems every year. Keep the kids safe, any grey area will lead to abuse.

I'd love to see the letter to the super or to Arnzen if school is in session but a practice/game is cancelled because of heat index. Those kids are being robbed of exposure.

Btw I think Tom's response was sufficient. I don't know what process flowchart he attached but apparently that wasn't good enough. It's obvious the county doesn't just cancel practices/games because school is cancelled. It's a separate decision and Tom's response explains as such.

Dear Mr. Arzen;

While I appreciate your response, this policy is simply too unilateral and as such, deeply flawed. This is not merely an issue of competitive disadvantage in which our competitors are allowed to practice on an optional basis while we are prohibited from using our own facilities that OUR tax dollars have paid for. While basketball is in District level Championship play and allowed to practice and play last Friday, Swimming and Wrestling which are preparing for STATE level Championship competition and were not allowed to practice.

Furthermore, by allowing competition on Friday, you put athletes that had not been in an organized practice for over a week at risk. Have you or anyone in your administration considered the injury risk from putting unprepared/underconditioned athletes on the field or court of competition? There have been multiple occurances of weather events that have long since subsided by the time after school activities would commence. Execution of the current policy has resulted in too many unneccessary practice cancellations.

Regional and State level tournament competition results in invaluable athletic scholarship recruiting exposure. By imposing this policy, your are diminishing the oppertunity for our athletes to be adequately prepared for this level of competition and reducing the exposure that would otherwise be available.

I urge you to revise this policy to delegate more of the decision making to Principals and Athletic Directors.

Thank You.

As a former superintendent who had to make these calls on school closings and activities cancelled, it is an absolute no win, but really not that difficult. You drive the roads, where buses travel, you talk to local law enforcement, road crews, and monitor the weather. They will all shoot straight with you on conditions SAFETY is 1st and foremost the number 1 responsibility. I can tell you, without a doubt, that these are easy decisions when you place safety first. You never compromise anything for student safety.

It is absolutely misleading and misinformed if you think a kid is losing an athletic scholarship because of a few missed games and practices. In fact, I would not have said to you in an email response, but can now say that maybe you need to drop your kid off at the public library,, read some great literature or study and practice the ACT. He or she is much,much more likely to get an academic scholarship than any athletic scholarship.

Ms Cox-Cruey has 15,000 students safety in mind when making her decisions and, believe me, she wouldn't put one in jeopardy, if she doesn't have to. This is really a "no brainer" when you have to make the decision. In know, because I have been there.

I understand your frustration and they are probably frustrated, also. Their frustration is different in that are trying to determine how to make up the days, how to get quality learning days in before state assessments, when to set graduation and get announcements and rent facilities (as Kenton County does) or the ceremonies.

Regardless on how much we love sports, music, art, FFA, etc., they do not and never will outweigh decisions for the safety of all.

• 10 months later...

Direct quote from the email received today from Kenton County Central Office

"Please remind your coaches that when Kenton County Schools are closed, there are to be no games, practices or activities."

SK freshman lost tonight to Brossart on a last second shot at SK. (saw it with my own eyes.)

Guess freshman games dont count.