Scott, Dixie and Simon Kenton Athlete Parents - Terry Cox Cruey

HoopsLady

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to burst your bubble but the KCSD changed their policy a year or two ago and made it where the school cancellation and activity cancellation decisions are indeed two separate decisions. School may be cancelled but around 1 pm they make a decision on after school activities.

Which is as it should be. Weather/road conditions can change dramatically in a few hours' time.

Which is as it should be. Weather/road conditions can change dramatically in a few hours' time.

That was my point earlier. To Clyde's question above, I would say the coach should decide if he/she thinks it is OK to practice. If he/she thinks not, case closed - no practice. If he/she thinks it is Ok, then must get permission from principal.

I hate to burst your bubble but the KCSD changed their policy a year or two ago and made it where the school cancellation and activity cancellation decisions are indeed two separate decisions. School may be cancelled but around 1 pm they make a decision on after school activities.

I bet the bar to have two different decisions - at least one where school was cancelled but after school activities go forward - is very high.

Insurance lawyers would have a field day if a student or family member was critically hurt or injured traveling to or from an 'optional' practice.

I agree somewhat with the OP. Some schools like Kenton Co need to use more common sense when cancelling events. Why were basketball teams told that they are allowed to play games last night but other sports were not even allowed to practice? I agree that a few days rest is good, we did have a few days where the roads should have been cleared, if the parents feel like its safe they would get their kids there. You have sports like swimming and wrestling that need to prepare, I'm not sure about swimming but with the wrestling state being postponed three weeks there is a bit of a concern of the wrestlers staying in top condition. And yes, athletes, kids included, will be at risk with more injuries the longer they are off.

One reason that there is a difference between calling off school and an event after school hours is quite simple, at 4am or 5am, whenever the buses start to pull out, there may be issues with overnight precipitation, but by afternoon, or evening, the roads may be cleared. That is not saying that athletics are more important that school, it's just common sense. It's not Kenton Co, but I was puzzled by the CCH/Ludlow basketball cancellation on Wednesday, the roads were fine that afternoon. The CCH/SK game I get being cancelled.

There shouldn't be a blanket decision, and it should be on a case by case basis.

I bet the bar to have two different decisions - at least one where school was cancelled but after school activities go forward - is very high.

Insurance lawyers would have a field day if a student or family member was critically hurt or injured traveling to or from an 'optional' practice.

The lawyers may try but a couple of years ago in Boone County a kid was hurt in a car accident going to an away school baseball game. Players have to provide their own transportation because Boone County schools do not provide busing. Of course, it was spring time and the weather was good but they were still on their way to a school function.The family contacted a lawyer but was basically told they didn't have a case, at least that is what I heard about them contacting an attorney.

Why would they have a field day? If the conditions are the same at 3pm as they were at 5-6am when the decision was made to cancel school, then yes if practice is held and incident were to happen then I could see a payday.

However, the conditions typically improve throughout the day for the better so just because school was cancelled at 5-6am doesn't mean a lawyer will have a field day for something that happened post 3pm.

The lawyers may try but a couple of years ago in Boone County a kid was hurt in a car accident going to an away school baseball game. Players have to provide their own transportation because Boone County schools do not provide busing. Of course, it was spring time and the weather was good but they were still on their way to a school function.The family contacted a lawyer but was basically told they didn't have a case, at least that is what I heard about them contacting an attorney.

If the policy was to provide your transportation that makes sense. Some supplemental insurance for organized youth sports - USA Hockey and USLacrosse will cover transportation to and from sanctioned game or practice.

Not sure if KHSAA supplemental would cover.

But if not inclement weather situation that impacted school attendance it would seem to make sense.

Why would they have a field day? If the conditions are the same at 3pm as they were at 5-6am when the decision was made to cancel school, then yes if practice is held and incident were to happen then I could see a payday.

However, the conditions typically improve throughout the day for the better so just because school was cancelled at 5-6am doesn't mean a lawyer will have a field day for something that happened post 3pm.

Closing argument:

"Condistions were so bad that day that the school activities - the core mission of the school - were cancelled. Yet, the defendants felt that an extracurricular activity was so important that it allowed other activities later that day. Though the session was called optional there was pressure on my client to attend this so-called optional practice in order to maintain his starting position. The defendants judgement that travel was safe was clearly an act of negligence based on their own decision that same day."

Their own no-go decision would be used against them. I am not saying they should not update the decision. I am just saying the bar is probably pretty high. The back side risk if there is still considerable snow, sleet or ice on the ground is that it could easily refreeze, especially after the sun sets. So what were 'good' condistions around 3 p.m. could be hazardous conditions at 6 p.m. And if something bad happens on the way home from practice that window of opportunity for a couple or 3 hours will not likely matter.

Given the conditions this week I am not sure how any other decision could have been made.

Closing argument:

"Condistions were so bad that day at 6 am that the school activities - the core mission of the school - were cancelled. Yet, the defendants felt that an extracurricular activity at 4 pm was so important that it allowed other activities later that day. Though the session was called optional there was pressure on my client to attend this so-called optional practice in order to maintain his starting position. The defendants judgement that travel was safe was clearly an act of negligence based on their own decision that same day."

Their own no-go decision would be used against them. I am not saying they should not update the decision. I am just saying the bar is probably pretty high. The back side risk if there is still considerable snow, sleet or ice on the ground is that it could easily refreeze, especially after the sun sets. So what were 'good' condistions around 3 p.m. could be hazardous conditions at 6 p.m. And if something bad happens on the way home from practice that window of opportunity for a couple or 3 hours will not likely matter.

Given the conditions this week I am not sure how any other decision could have been made.

I added some key parts to your closing arguments.

...and I'm sure 100% of all students who were off school because of bad weather stayed home all day, and didn't go to the Mall, or the Levee, or to their girlfriend/boyfriends house, etc.....

GIVE ME A BREAK, kids today are PAMPERED beyond belief. :ohbrother: lets put bubble wrap around them so they can be safe.

Not true at all levels, middle school no school no practice.