Baseball Spec Changes for College Baseball

stickymitts

The only game I saw this weekend that had few runs, was the Cal State Fullerton/USF game Friday night. It was a 2-1 game, with both teams tallying 31 strikeouts between them. CSF had 16, USF 15.

I wouldn't suspect Friday games to change much. It's the Saturday and Sunday games. Friday guys are usually dealing.

Will this effect the way balls are pitched (less break/worse pitching grip), or just the result when they are hit?

It's really preference. The high level guys may like it more. Ball feels smaller, less blisters, better feel...etc. Some feel they can throw tighter breaking balls.

However, I know some feel they need better grip of the seams to be able to "tug" on them. One would also think the reduction in drag means good two seams, circle changes...etc would get more movement.

As for the hitting portion...

The NCAA is saying this, though. "It’s worth noting that the seams do not affect exit velocity, because the drag effect does not take effect until the ball travels a considerable distance." That covers their butt regarding player safety.

However, a ball that was hit 367 feet with the old ball is now going 387 feet. But it won't get on the pitcher quicker...

• 1 month later...

The new flat-seam ball in college baseball is having the desired effect, with teams hitting 40 percent more home runs so far this season.

The NCAA announced Wednesday that teams are hitting a home run about every other game. Last year, teams homered about once every three games through the first three weeks of the season. -- ESPN

------

The above was written on March 4th. I'm looking at USF's stats. 25 games in and they've already hit more homers than in the full 58 game schedule, last year. At this rate, they'll increase they're home run production by more than 150 percent over last season.

The new flat-seam ball in college baseball is having the desired effect, with teams hitting 40 percent more home runs so far this season.

The NCAA announced Wednesday that teams are hitting a home run about every other game. Last year, teams homered about once every three games through the first three weeks of the season.

-- ESPN

------

The above was written on March 4th. I'm looking at USF's stats. 25 games in and they've already hit more homers than in the full 58 game schedule, last year. At this rate, they'll increase they're home run production by more than 150 percent over last season.

Have batting averages also increased over the same period as last season?

It's really preference. The high level guys may like it more. Ball feels smaller, less blisters, better feel...etc. Some feel they can throw tighter breaking balls.

However, I know some feel they need better grip of the seams to be able to "tug" on them. One would also think the reduction in drag means good two seams, circle changes...etc would get more movement.

As for the hitting portion...

The NCAA is saying this, though. "It’s worth noting that the seams do not affect exit velocity, because the drag effect does not take effect until the ball travels a considerable distance." That covers their butt regarding player safety.

However, a ball that was hit 367 feet with the old ball is now going 387 feet. But it won't get on the pitcher quicker...

What they are saying is that the ball comes off the bat at the same speed, but it slows down at a slower rate due to the reduced drag; therefore able to go farther. Basic projectile motion, Bernoulli's principle.

Have batting averages also increased over the same period as last season?

Again, using USF's stats, the team average is about 10 points lower. That would make sense, if the ball has less drag. Long liners are not going to die as early and are getting caught, now. I've noticed strikeouts are way up, too, 3 more a game up.

Again, using USF's stats, the team average is about 10 points lower. That would make sense, if the ball has less drag. Long liners are not going to die as early and are getting caught, now. I've noticed strikeouts are way up, too, 3 more a game up.

That's what I was thinking. I would assume the fastball might have a fraction more giddyup on it. In my younger days when I was a pitcher, I did like the higher seams especially on colder drier days. When it got warm and humid I was in heaven.

Edited by OlDog75
spelling